Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #1

Long Trailer Signage

Hi all
We are from Australia and are purchasing a fifth wheel and truck to tour USA and Canada over the next few years.
In OZ we are required to display signs on the back if you are over a certain length. This is so that you can legally use two lanes when making a turn and if anyone tries to come up on the inside and gets hit, you are not in the wrong, they are. Do you have anything like this over there?
And what are the rules for long vehicles turning? I have never seen anything mentioned about signage in this forum.
I have attached a pic of the signs.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	253282  
Oz_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

Picture inserted, and didn't work.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #3

no signs here. just a directional and pay attention for possible stupid people
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #4

STAY in your lane......

States have overall length laws/restrictions.
Most are 65' total truck/trailer
Some are 60' and others 75'

Rarely would one be pulled over/ticketed for length UNLESS they were doing something else that draws attention.....
Speeding (each state has their own speed limit laws....some have lower limits for vehicles towing)
Lane control....stay in your lane (using 2 lanes to turn is frowned upon)
Appropriate lane...can't use Carpool lane/stay out of Fast Lane (far left on multi-lane Interstates) etc
Use pull outs so you do not impede traffic when on 2 lane roads

Pay attention for fools/idiot drivers!

Relax and enjoy your LONG LONG trip
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #5

Your not supposed to use two lanes to initiate your turn, you are supposed to wait until its clear on the road you are turning onto and if needed turn into the oncoming lane to make the turn. It could be different in some states though.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:17 AM   #6

Here is an example. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ourroads/l...aneuverability
Old 07-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #7

If you’re in heavy traffic, say at a red light, how many hours should you wait to make a right hand turn? At least if you swing out to the left prior to the turn, you will be able to actually make the turn at some point. If traffic isn’t bad, then yes, just swing over after the initial turn.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Thanks Nick, that is the information I was after, hope it is similar for other states. I note this quote here, which is exactly the way it works for us here, but it seems to be an unwritten rule, not backed up by legal protection as we have here with the sign.
""Pay close attention when trucks are turning right so you don’t get caught in the “right turn squeeze.” A large truck cannot easily turn right from the right lane and may initially move left to create enough turning space.""

I have attached two diagrams, I hope you can tell me if I am correct in my understanding.
The first one is the way we would do it, moving partially or wholly into the next lane before the turn and then turning into the correct lane.
The second shows your way, where you stay in your correct lane prior to the turn and then swing into the next lane after the turn.
Which method is the most common over there? Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lane change 1_07162019(2).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	253392   Click image for larger version

Name:	lane change 2_07162019.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	253393  

Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #9

I think you have a great plan, looking at the sign, I assume NZ drives on the left like Australia. So some relearning of the mechanics of the turns it will be Righty tightly lefty loosely, not righty loosely, lefty tightly.
The other question is long term visa, one to two years is a long visit and to two different countries. I believe Canadians can only visit the US for 180 days a year. Just wondering if you have checked that out with the three nations?
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #10

I think you'll be pleased/intimidated by towing laws compared to at home in AUS. I work with a bunch of Aussies.

We regularly rocketed along at about 120km/h on cruise - at a weight of around 10,000kg - no special license or signage necessary. Some states are signed slower, especially out east and California, but out west that was pretty normal.
The mention of 3.4km/l fuel consumption does tend to scare people at first, but remember our fuel is cheap here . The laws are much less restrictive and in many states speed cameras are illegal.

Just a completely different environment.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
I think you have a great plan, looking at the sign, I assume NZ drives on the left like Australia. So some relearning of the mechanics of the turns it will be Righty tightly lefty loosely, not righty loosely, lefty tightly.
The other question is long term visa, one to two years is a long visit and to two different countries. I believe Canadians can only visit the US for 180 days a year. Just wondering if you have checked that out with the three nations?
Yes, We have driven on both sides of road over the years, no problems there. It is a lot easier than it looks, because the driver is seated on the other side of the vehcile. Going the wrong way around the roundabout is the hardest!
Visa is not an issue, we will be making several trips and I have a b-2 visa so can stay in US for up to 6 months per visit.
Your winters are not alluring, so visits will only be in the warmer months.
Both have heavy vehicle licences, so are right there, as I read the law you have to be able to drive the vehicle on the class of licence you have in your own country. In our case, a normal licence only allows driving a vehicle with a mximum weight of 4.5tonnes, (approx 10,000 pounds). You can then tow a trailer up to the limits of the tow vehicle.
But the gross weight of a 1tonne pickup is more than 10,000lbs, so even if an American can drive one on a standard license, a visitor from Australia would need a higher class to drive something weighing that much.
Cheers
Old 07-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #12

As to your turning question, its done both ways here. Drivers in the congested areas tend to not have much patience or courtesy and will fill any hole you leave when turning so just be careful. They will also for the most part, hurry to fill the space you want when changing lanes when they see the turn signal. I guess what i am saying is you will be fine you just have to learn to deal with the people.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

In the cdl training manual they dont say anything about swinging into the lane before the turn. They do say to swing wide enough that you dont have to back up, however much or whenever that is but they also say to keep your trailer in the lane that your turning from so that no one can sneak up alongside you and get pinched.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
As to your turning question, its done both ways here. Drivers in the congested areas tend to not have much patience or courtesy and will fill any hole you leave when turning so just be careful. They will also for the most part, hurry to fill the space you want when changing lanes when they see the turn signal. I guess what i am saying is you will be fine you just have to learn to deal with the people.
Yes, that is what happens here, idiots trying to squeeze in and getting pinched.! But I have always found the drivers over there to be more patient and courteous overall than here, but it may be because I have mostly been away from big cities.
Thanks

Tags
trailer