Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #1

Longer length

I recently went from a 30ft 5th wheel to a 38ft 5th wheel. I must admit the new length is sometimes overwhelming. I am constantly worried about hitting something with the back because of the new length, any advise or suggestions while towing to get past this?
Laredo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Take all turns wide and I mean WIDE, right turns by going onto the wrong side of the street. Truckers do it and they don't care who is "upset".
Once you master that you will be ready for a 75 footer (total)

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I can offer some advise given to me: go slow and then go slow! Never, never get in a hurry. I violated that rule with my 5er and it cost me $449 in roof damage repair and some emotional pain. Never, never get into a hurry. Yes, wide turns. If you don't have tow mirrows that allow you to see your trailer wheels get some stick on mirrors or tow mirrors or whatever. My F-250 has tow mirrors and the bottom part of the mirror is great for looking at the inside side of the trailer on turns. My roof damage came from me not being CERTAIN that I was in the clear before pulling forward. I hope to not repeat that mistake.

So, go slow, wide turns, have someone watch from outside when you are in campgrounds or anyplace you can't be sure and make sure your mirrors are good on tow vehicle.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went from a 28' coach or something about 10' longer. As other have said, just take it easy and don't get in a hurry - no matter the pressures. After a short while it won't be a problem any more.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Longer length

As others have said you control your own destiny, if you plan ahead, swing wide and go slow to avoid hitting things you will be fine, just remember if you use your mirrors and some common sense and don't let others dictate you pace it will become second nature. I went from 35 to 41 ft and after my second trip the difference was not an issue so good luck and go slow and most of all enjoy your new unit.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #6

I would also suggest letting someone you trust drive the rig in a large, empty lot with you watching, so you can see how it behaves. Seeing it in your head is so much easier once you see it for real.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

You might consider a rear TV monitor. Your post is interesting to me cuz I just went from a 38' fifth wheel to a 30 footer.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #8

These guys are giving you good advise. I went from a 32 to a 38 and watching the wheels is very important especially when you are turning and there are curbs involved. Go slow. When there are two lanes to use for a turn use the outside lane and swing out.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for your replies! It's not so much the street driving that gets to me, it's in the campgrounds with tight turns. A buddy of mine also just told me to watch the wheels, every little trick helps!
Laredo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo111 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies! It's not so much the street driving that gets to me, it's in the campgrounds with tight turns. A buddy of mine also just told me to watch the wheels, every little trick helps!
I'm sure he meant watch the trailer wheels, it almost doesn't matter where the truck wheels are going it's what is the track of the trailer wheels.
Of course if you are taking the turn wide and have to be on the wrong side of the road it does matter what the truck is doing and sometimes in spite of that you will still "curb" the trailer wheels.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #11

I have about 9' hanging behind the axles and tail swing is a problem, the rear corner (the one I can't see in the mirrors) gets outside the perimeter of the wheel track in tight turns, not good if something's in the way.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think you are making it harder on yourself by 'fretting' about it

Just know height and make co driver read the clearance signs to you too...
and know to hold your turn until the last minute...

Swinging wide entails swinging LATE !!!

i.e don't do the normal thing of angling across the turn...
make your front outside wheel of your truck track on the outside white line in curves and at intersections push the outside tire as deep into the turn as you can before turning...

We built this house in 2004 and still my wife has issues with the swing into the garage...
she ALWAYS cuts the corner and wonders how she has so much trouble straightening up and gets mad at me when I pull in @ 10 or 15 mph in one smooth motion after waiting until the last moment to turn !!!

but guess what, she drives the cc truck and 38 foot 5er fine !!! go figure !