Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

Looking at a 2005 Mobile Suites 32TK3 fifth wheel traile

there is a package deal for this trialer with a 2500 hemi truck for $35000. I'm wondering if that truck is a little light for the trailer. I've checked on prices for the 2005 Mobile Suites 32TK3 fifth wheel trailer and most want $35000 for just the trailer. I asked the owner if he had any problems pulling it and of course he said no. He has taken it to Florida quite a few times but his wife is ill and he himself has had heart surgery. Truck has 71000 Kilometers. What do you think of this combination?
mannella is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
The GVWR of my 2004 36' Mobile Suites is 16,000 lbs. I don't have any idea what the GVWR of a 2005 32' MS might be as there were a number of major changes between the 2004 and 2005 model years. For example, the 2005 MS was the first year for electrohydraulic (versus electromechanical) jacks and slides, and DRV went through some teething pains with the early hydraulics. You might ask the owner if all the fixes have been done and the hydraulic system is operating reliably.

My gut says that the Hemi/2500 is not enough truck for this configuration, but without the MS's GVWR, I can't state that with absolute certainty.

By the way, seeing your join date and that this is your first post,

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #3

I talked to his son and he gave me the impression that the suspension may have been beefed up because he called it a heavy three quarter ton. I see if I can find out the GVWR but having said that does the price seem right he wanted $28000 just for the trailer and I think if I offer him $30000 for everything he will probably take it.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

Max trailer weight is 10850 Ib's with the gcwr at 17000 Ib's
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
What's the GVWR of the Mobile Suites? It's on the road (driver's) side of the pinbox.

Rusty
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
What's the GVWR of the Mobile Suites? It's on the road (driver's) side of the pinbox.

Rusty
I don't know I haven't bought the unit and it a little ways away. But I'm also curious about what he is asking for just the trailer $28000 does this sound like a fair price?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #7

checked on line and its 12000 Ib's
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Truck's max trailer weight = 10,850 lbs
Trailer GVWR = 12,000 lbs (sounds low, but I'll take your word on it)
Chances are very good that the truck is operating at or over its GCWR, especially when you consider that the truck's maximum trailer weight is based on only a 150 lb driver and does not include the weight of a 5th wheel hitch, options, accessories, passengers, cargo, etc. The additional weight of all of these must be deducted from the truck's maximum trailer weight.

$28,000 for the trailer is probably in the ballpark if it has been well-maintained. At the end of the day, a good deal is one that both the buyer and seller can live with, so you'll have to be the ultimate judge of that.

Rusty
Old 11-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You might want to take a test drive before you buy, a good friend has a 3/4 ton hemi and a 27' sunnybrook that weighs around 7500#, he is into 3500 to 4000rpm range just to pull the slight grades. Add 4000# or so and steeper, longer hills, let alone mountains and you are not going to be able to maintain any resemblance of speed, and it gets old real quick running that motor at 4000 to 5000 rpm to maintain speed.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
That much trailer with a Hemi....well it won't win any races and will only be able to pass up the occasional gas pump.

best of luck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #11

IMO too much trailer for a small block 5.7 gas engine.
Googled around the different RV dealers websites shows the '05 32 TK3 has a 12k-13k dry weight depending on options and approx 14500 GVWR.
Later year models shows they had 8k tandam axles and much higher GVWR which indicates a very heavy trailer.
Make the offer.
If you purchase the unit make a trip and decide if the little Hemi is up to pulling that kind of weight. If you don't like the towing performance upgrade to one ton DRW with the diesel.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #12

FWIW, here is my personal experience. I had a 1996 Dodge, 2500, CTD. We bought a 5er with a GVW of 10,500#. This was a very good match that handled well, pulled, and stopped well. We traded for a new 5er with a GVW of 15,500#. My beloved Dodge CTD was now severely overloaded, both by weight, and not enough engine. It swayed badly when cornering and in cross-winds. I traded my Dodge CTD for a Chevy Duramax, dually, and towing was once again pleasant and relaxing.
A few years ago we were at Sevierville, TN the same time as the "Suites" rally. The only SRW trucks towing a Suites trailer were SRW 1 ton trucks. They were towing the shortest Mobile Suites 5ers, which I think is 32' long. I think they had air-bags under them too, which IMO is an indicator of "not enough truck" ie: too much pin weight for the truck to safely handle.

If you get a really good deal you can always trade up to a truck built to tow/haul the trailer GVW.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #13

As mentioned above, the hemi will be running at near redline rpms to climb hills, and they drink fuel under load.
Good friend of mine had a 1 ton hemi just after they came out--8 months later he had the Cummins...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My beloved Dodge CTD was now severely overloaded, both by weight, and not enough engine.
Not enough engine???

Can't remember if that year was a 12v or 24v, either way, the 5.9 Cummins will pull a house.
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote