Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Looking at a 5th

I am looking at getting rid of my Class A and getting a 5th wheel. More than anything, I got rid of my "toad", I need something that I can have some descent transportation when I get places and the new 5th wheels have more room than my old Class A does. Oh, and my Duramax pulling a 5th is going to get better mpg's than my Class A.
So this is my deal; I really like the Open Road, Rolling Thunder, H345MPR. I like the floor plan, the interiors, I like the garage (I can take my Harley with me) & I like the ground clearance (in case I want to go off the road a bit). In general, I don't like "toy haulers", the floor plans, the furniture just won't do, the ground clearance and length is usually too much. My problems with the H345MPR are; it is just a tad bigger than I want (I would like to stay under 12K pounds, dry it is 12K), they are not making them any more so all I have to choose from is "dealer stock" (which isn't much) & it cost a bit too much.
I have thought about pulling a little trailer behind the 5th, and this may still be an option but, before I do this are there any other 5ths out there that have a 'smaller' garage (just need it for a MC or maybe one quad a place to hold the game after hunting)? Or is there something else I am missing here? The sales guys are a mess to talk too.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

Here is the spec sheet for the above. I don't see it in the sheet but, the one I was looking at came with a propane power 5.5Kw generator. A generator is a "must have".

http://www.openrangerv.com/Unit-Spec...er/H345MPR.pdf
Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Hi James;

I can't say much as far as limiting the size, I solo in the biggest TH I could find...

Looking at the sheet for the Open Range, it looks like a nice unit. I'm reckoning the rolling island will make up the prep space for the kitchen, and be able to tuck out of the way, which could be nice.

I also love the porch outside the dining area... I wish I could retro fit one of those on my rig. The only drawback I could see is if you wound up in a tight campgraound spot and didn't have sufficient room to put it down.

Does the garage have both side ramps? My rig only has the one big rear door, which makes unloading the bike a bit "exciting" at times. A drive through could be very handy, again taking it as a given that you have enough space to drop them both. The deal breaker for me on the garage plan would be the tool storage. I travel with a large Mac bottom box that takes up the second parking spot in the garage.

You're an experienced RVér, so I should think you know what would be comfortable and fit your needs. As far as pulling a small trailer behind the 5er, I wrote that idea off early as just way too much hassle. Backing into a site would be an ordeal. Of course, if you are mostly boondocking, it might not be an issue.

Forgive my ramblings, just some thoughts off the top of my head...
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #4

Have you checked RVTraderonline.com?

New And Used Open Range Toy Hauler For Sale On Rv Trader
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

The island is nice and stows for towing.

I was thinking about that, on the porch, not enough space. That is a concern. I am not sure you have to pull it out. The porch would be great for my dog too, he would be able to go outside with getting dirty and/or running off.

Yeah, the garage is a "roll through" both doors open. I don't think I would need as many tools as you, since it is not a full time commitment.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post

Funny, the highest priced one on that list is the one I looked at. I should call the person in CO just for the heck of it, I could go up there and make a trip out of it. Thx