Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

Looking at a Montana...

Hi all,

We’ve been full timing in a Class A moto Rhône for the last couple of years and are now looking at going to fifth wheel.

We found a 2014 Keystone RV Montana 3402RL for sale here in Mesa, but I really don’t know much about them.

Does anyone here have any experience with this model? Any specific issues I need to look for? This one come with a solar setup already, which I like.

Someone told me that the Montana line doesn’t have a slide out override, and that if the slides won’t go in/out, you’ll be stuck until it’s fixed. Is that true? Is that common to many fifth wheels?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

Yaniv
Blueknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #2

Looking at a Montana...

I have no experience with that model and year but I have owned and currently live in a 2012 3100RL. The slides on mine are hydraulic and in 2 1/2 years of living in it exclusively, I’ve had one brief issue with the slides. We partially deployed them and when we tried to bring them in, they wouldn’t move. Waited 10 minutes, tried again and in they came.

Mine came with a remote control board but no remote ( bought it used). I have had one issue where front jacks would not deploy or retract. Turning off the main power switch, waiting a few minutes then turning it back on corrected the issue. Make sure you get yours if so equipped.

I have also reinforced the basement door prop rod attachments on both basement doors. The stock ones on my rig were crap and were tearing out.

The previous owner upgraded the E tires for F tires and 110 psi wheels. I have since upgraded to G tires.

I have also had to replace the suspension MohrRyde shear springs because one had partially fail. Regular greasing the wet bolts in the suspension is a must as is checking the bronze bushings. I’ve replaced mine once.

On the whole, we love our Montana. We’ve pulled it over most of the western states, west Canada and Alaska.

Hope this helps.

PS. We are currently in Quartzsite for the winter.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:04 AM   #3

The Keystone Montana was the best selling 5th wheel at one time and probably still is. It is the best 5th wheel in the Keystone line.

It competes with Jayco Pinnacle, Heartland Landmark, Forest River Brookstone, Palomino Columbus and about a dozen others.

I would say if it is clean then buy it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The Keystone Montana was the best selling 5th wheel at one time and probably still is. It is the best 5th wheel in the Keystone line.

It competes with Jayco Pinnacle, Heartland Landmark, Forest River Brookstone, Palomino Columbus and about a dozen others.

I would say if it is clean then buy it.
From my research, regular Montana competes with Jayco North Point. Their current Legacy package is an attempt to upscale to compete with Pinnacle.

And Landmark would be a tier above Montana, too.
Tdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight View Post

Someone told me that the Montana line doesn’t have a slide out override, and that if the slides won’t go in/out, you’ll be stuck until it’s fixed. Is that true? Is that common to many fifth wheels?

Yaniv
I'm also concerned with this!

I am looking at an 09 Montana 324RLQ. It has 4 slides and I would be extremely concerned if there isn't an override for the slides.

As the OP stated, anyone with information on the override would be much appreciated.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?
Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

Not yet. Thought I’d try to see if an owner had any info.
Blueknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #8

Montana's use a combination of hydraulic and electric slides like most similarly priced 5th wheels. There are workarounds for each. The hydraulic pump can be operated with a drill motor and a hex bit if the electric motor quits. As a last resort the hydraulic line can be disconnected and the slide pushed in by hand. The biggest problem with the slides is the under rated circuit breaker which can be upgraded inexpensively. When it fails it usually will reset itself quickly. I would not let the fear of a stuck slide deter my purchase.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Montana's use a combination of hydraulic and electric slides like most similarly priced 5th wheels. There are workarounds for each. The hydraulic pump can be operated with a drill motor and a hex bit if the electric motor quits. As a last resort the hydraulic line can be disconnected and the slide pushed in by hand. The biggest problem with the slides is the under rated circuit breaker which can be upgraded inexpensively. When it fails it usually will reset itself quickly. I would not let the fear of a stuck slide deter my purchase.
Our 2011 Bighorn has two hydraulic slides, circuit breaker has issues when it's colder out, but when slide stops we just wait a few seconds then continue. Have always gone all in or all out. Not a big deal.
Rubirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirose View Post
Our 2011 Bighorn has two hydraulic slides, circuit breaker has issues when it's colder out, but when slide stops we just wait a few seconds then continue. Have always gone all in or all out. Not a big deal.

I’ve had the same issue. I replaced mine and now carry a spare 50A and 30A. They do wear out over time.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #11

I'm a big fan of Northwood, but I've camped next to a lot of happy Montana owners. If it's a floor plan you like and a price you think is fair, you won't be disappointed. I've owned multiple slide units and never had one break to where we couldn't get the slide in. I'd do some research and learn how to manually retract the slide if you need to. I would not make that an issue for not buying.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #12

We looked at so many over the last few months that our heads were spinning. We narrowed it down to 4 specific makes that we spent a night nitpicking apart to differentiate them. Montana was at the top of the list. We were looking for a heated underbelly and heated tanks, good quality, fit and finish to our liking, a specific floor plan (mid bunk), with a few other small things.

We narrowed it down to Jayco North Point, Keystone Montana, Grand Design Solitude, Palomino Columbus. The local dealer for Jayco and Keystone wasn’t willing to give us enough for our trade, so then the decision was cut in half. We ended up going with a Columbus with the 1492 package. I’ll let you know how PDI and delivery go.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
I’ve had the same issue. I replaced mine and now carry a spare 50A and 30A. They do wear out over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I'm a big fan of Northwood, but I've camped next to a lot of happy Montana owners. If it's a floor plan you like and a price you think is fair, you won't be disappointed. I've owned multiple slide units and never had one break to where we couldn't get the slide in. I'd do some research and learn how to manually retract the slide if you need to. I would not make that an issue for not buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
We looked at so many over the last few months that our heads were spinning. We narrowed it down to 4 specific makes that we spent a night nitpicking apart to differentiate them. Montana was at the top of the list. We were looking for a heated underbelly and heated tanks, good quality, fit and finish to our liking, a specific floor plan (mid bunk), with a few other small things.

We narrowed it down to Jayco North Point, Keystone Montana, Grand Design Solitude, Palomino Columbus. The local dealer for Jayco and Keystone wasn’t willing to give us enough for our trade, so then the decision was cut in half. We ended up going with a Columbus with the 1492 package. I’ll let you know how PDI and delivery go.
Some awesome information from you great members!!!!!

That DOES give me some piece of mind.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana