Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
Looking at Fifth Wheels

Hi Everyone!
Current owner of a Jayco 24ft TT. Wife and I are looking for something a bit bigger and preferably a fifth wheel. Here is my minor dilemma. Which one should we be looking at? Looking to keep it under 30 feet. Our main objective is counter space and storage. My friend has a Cougar but has had numerous issues with it. I know nothing about Forest River products. Basically which ones to stay away from and others that people would recommend. ALL salesman think their trailers are the best, but they are trying to sell it. I get that. Everyone's two cents is welcome. Not too worried about weight, I have enough truck to tow. Thanking everyone in advance

Tom_OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks in these forums.
Keep reading and asking questions cause as you already know from your experience there are a lot of choices out there.
What is your intended use, how many weekends trips a yr. lot's of mileage? All nice climate areas? Intended budget, new / used? There are many offerings and compromises.
Start keeping a list of must haves, not so important features, his / hers to compare prospects. You'll know it when you come across it.

Happy motoring.

J & J + Kickr's the Vonderhund
DRV, ES-38RSSA, 19.6K#
GMC, 3500HD-Max, CC, 8'-DRW, 9.1K#
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Thank you very much. I do rely on these forums quite a bit. Very knowledgeable people here. We live in a warm climate so we take off every other week to somewhere cool from May til September. Somewhere cooler of course. Our budget for a fifth wheel is under 40k. My big concern is what to avoid or what is highly recommended
Thank you for your response

Old 08-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
One of the first things to help the decision is to know what your tow vehicle is rated to tow. If you are going to tow with a newer 1/2 ton you are probably looking at a trailer that weights around 9K or less (pin weight is about 20% of the trailer weight). Go to the website " changingears.com" and select the weight calculators tab and select "Fifth Wheel Weight" tab.
My own personal experience was I listened to one to many sales representative and did not follow my gut or what I discovered independently. I bought a 1/2 ton and a few months later bought a fifth wheel. Before I bought the truck I knew what I wanted and discussed my needs with several dealers. I should have listened to the local dealer who knew his stuff and told me to by a 3/4 ton
Instead i bought from a 1/2 ton from dealer about 30 miles away who saved me a about 2K over a 3/4 ton (big mistake).
The 5th wheel we bought weighted in at approximately 7500 lbs empty and 8700 lbs loaded with our gear and a full tank of water. My initial try out at the RV dealer towing the trailer before buying was not anything like the 200 mile drive home with the trailer on the truck. The truck would tow the trailer at freeway speeds but had nothing extra in case you needed extra power. Maintaing speed on hill at freeway speeds was near impossible. Once I got off the interstate the truck had trouble maintaining speeds at was constantly searching for the right gear. Within a month I bought a different truck (problem solved).
I did my homework before buying and bought the wrong truck for the wrong reasons.My recommendation is do your homework on your tow vehicle and camper before buy and do not listen to the dealer's hype because all they want is to sell you the product. Once you leave the a little help if you have problems they said would be "No Problem".
scout4eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Look at Silver Fox they make great smaller 5th wheels . Well made and made to. Last .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Thanks jacknife for the note on silverfox. Havent looked at them yet but will.

Scout4eagles appreciate the input. I do own a RAM 2500 Turbo diesel so that is one thing I got going for myself. Now if I can find a fifth wheel to satisfy both of us, I will be Golden
Old 08-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #7
We just purchased a 2017 Jayco HT 27.5 RLTS and absolutely love it. I tow it with my 2016 Ford F-150 with the 5.0 liter engine. It tows really well and does not "squat" at all.
paulex7920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
For shorter 5vers, I would check out Grand Design Reflection, Outdoors Mfg, and Northwood Mfg (Arctic Fox).
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT CC 4x4
Zac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #9
Thank You

Thank you everyone for all your input. After much consideration and a bit of stress we have purchased the Grand Design 29RS. A bit bigger than I wanted but DW is quite Happy. Thanks again
Old 08-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
Great choice in picking a Grand Design unit. I've had my GD Solitude for over 3 1/2 years, welcome to the family. Also check out the Grand Design Facebook page

2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote