Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

Looking at new fivers - Palomino "Columbus" v "Compass"

For every Palomino Columbus model there's a corresponding "Compass" model with a C added to the model name.

How do they differ? I read the online brochures and couldn't figure it out. I'm assuming Ford as compared to Lincoln? Or sales area?

Thanks,

Marc
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #2

Best guess, it's like the Montana vs high country. The compass is probably a light weight version. But it's just a guess.

Just looked at the website and it actually looks like they are the same except that the Columbus has higher end amenities that the compass. Other than that, only a couple hundred pounds different.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Looks to me like the Columbus is able to be more optioned than the Compass and has more standard features than the Compass.
One example is in the Columbus you get MCD roller shades. Regular pleated are in the Compass.
Frameless windows on the Columbus. Framed on the Compass.
Seems like comparing a Ford XLT to a Lariat.
Indecently Grand Design is doing the same with their Solitude line. They have a cheaper less optioned S class version of the Solitude. Same floor plans but with out the bling.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Looks to me like the Columbus is able to be more optioned than the Compass and has more standard features than the Compass.
One example is in the Columbus you get MCD roller shades. Regular pleated are in the Compass.
Frameless windows on the Columbus. Framed on the Compass.
Seems like comparing a Ford XLT to a Lariat.
Indecently Grand Design is doing the same with their Solitude line. They have a cheaper less optioned S class version of the Solitude. Same floor plans but with out the bling.
That makes sense now that I look at it. I noticed the weights were often different, but only by a couple of hundred pounds.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #5

I own a compass series. Parked next to the same model but in a Columbus series. No difference. He had the morryde steps and hitch, frameless windows, larger TV, auto TV antenna, nicer bathroom and kitchen fixtures. I think higher end furniture. But all in all the same mechanically. I have the 6pt leveling, same wheels and tires, same fridge and shower.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

Learned more about this with I found the "features and options" document on Palomino fifth wheels. To use the Ford truck analogy, it's like XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch in my line of thinking.

All the same trailer. There's a "Compass Package" which has some basic stuff in it, and a "Voyager Package" for "Columbus" that appears to be a notch up. On top of the latter, there's a "1492 Package" that goes full tilt with stuff I didn't even know you could put in a fifth wheel. And different wheel well trim and graphics.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowell View Post
Learned more about this with I found the "features and options" document on Palomino fifth wheels. To use the Ford truck analogy, it's like XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch in my line of thinking.

All the same trailer. There's a "Compass Package" which has some basic stuff in it, and a "Voyager Package" for "Columbus" that appears to be a notch up. On top of the latter, there's a "1492 Package" that goes full tilt with stuff I didn't even know you could put in a fifth wheel. And different wheel well trim and graphics.

hello

we have the columbus 1492 pkg, matter of fact we just pick it up and brought it home this last Saturday. the compass is the lower end to the columbus for sure. and yes with columbus you get a hole alot more upgrades with 1492 pkg.

2016 ford f350 6.7
2019 columbus 366rl 1492 pkg
jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #8

Hull insurance?

We really looked hard at the Palimino these last few months. It was my favorite but we will be full-time for a few years. For some crazy reason, if full-time our insurance was going to be quite a bit higher, like $530.00 more a year. In the overall scheme of things, probably not that much but I'm really leary about lieing to insurance companies.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltam View Post
We really looked hard at the Palimino these last few months. It was my favorite but we will be full-time for a few years. For some crazy reason, if full-time our insurance was going to be quite a bit higher, like $530.00 more a year. In the overall scheme of things, probably not that much but I'm really leary about lieing to insurance companies.
you wouldn't want to tell them your going full time rv-ing, they won't insure you anyways, but that all depends who you go through for a insurance company.

but the columbus is a nice looking 5W, we look at all brands for the last 1.5 yrs, and we always came back to the columbus, so we just bought it.
jrms88 is offline   Reply With Quote