Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

Looking for a cheap 5er to start with for a few months

Before we go and spend big $'s for a new truck and a new 5er I'm trying to find a small 5er we can pull with our 1998 Ford Ranger. The ranger actually has fairly good abilities all things considered assuming I have the right specifications.

1998 Ranger
  • Body Style Supercab 6' w/Trailer Towing Package
  • Body Code 125.7" WB
  • Cab to Axle 37.8 in
  • Curb Weight - Front 1,880 lbs
  • Curb Weight - Rear 1,388 lbs (Total 3,268)
  • GVWR 4,900 lbs (4,760 on truck sticker)
  • GCWR 9,500 lbs
  • Max Tow 5,900 lbs (based on GCWR-CurbWR 6,232 lbs)
  • Front GAWR 2,400 lbs (2,600 on truck sticker)
  • Rear GAWR 2,600 lbs
  • Front GAWR 2,625 lbs (Axel Manufacture rating)
  • Rear GAWR 2,750 lbs (Axel Manufacture rating)
  • Displacement 4.0L
  • Fuel System SEFI
  • SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 160 @ 4,200
  • SAE Net Torque @ RPM 225 @ 2,750

So I've seen some Prowler Lite such as the 824-5C which looks interesting and I think the Ranger can handle it. Based on the numbers above and below I figure carrying us, the tow dogs and a reasonable amount of stuff we'll come in right at the GCWR.
  • GVWR 6,300
  • Dry WR 4,630
  • CCC 1,670
  • Hitch Dry 630
  • Axel Dry 4,000
  • Height 9' 10"
  • Width 8'
  • Length 25' 4"
One problem is that there is not enough room for the dogs to be comfortable in the SuperCab. One yes, two no. That means one or both would have to ride in the 5er and the DW is not really happy about that.

If I added a backup camera with a second camera inside the 5er we could keep an eye on them. We can run the A/C to keep them cool although I think keeping some windows open and running the vent fan would keep them cool in all the the hottest weather.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

You are really asking for the near impossible. Even the best Ford Ranger is light years worse than current trucks. I doubt a 5th wheel hitch would even fit in the bed of a Ranger. I think the bed might be too narrow.

KZ makes a 23 Sportsman model that I kinda like. But even that should be towed with a full sized pick-up.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

I really think your best bet will be an ultra lite Travel Trailer and a real good WDH. Get something used so you can get your money back out of it when you upgrade to a bigger truck and 5th wheel.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Looking for a cheap 5er to start with for a few months

With that small of a truck, why don't you check out the Scamp 19' 5er? That is a light enough unit that will not put a lot of strain onto your Ranger.

Just my $.02 worth.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You are really asking for the near impossible. Even the best Ford Ranger is light years worse than current trucks. I doubt a 5th wheel hitch would even fit in the bed of a Ranger. I think the bed might be too narrow.

KZ makes a 23 Sportsman model that I kinda like. But even that should be towed with a full sized pick-up.
Agreed, it's not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
With that small of a truck, why don't you check out the Scamp 19' 5er? That is a light enough unit that will not put a lot of strain onto your Ranger.

Just my $.02 worth.
I have been. The ones that I know the Ranger will tow is a Scamp 19' or a Escape 5.0 TA fiberglass as both can be kept under the towing capacity of the Ranger although the Escape can go over if you load it too heavily.

The Scamp 19' uses a 2" ball in the bed much like an Anderson hitch. These can be found but long travel is the norm with you do.

Dry Weight 2,900 lbs.
Dry Pin Weight 400 lbs.
GVWR 3,500 lbs.
Overall length 19’
Overall height 8’ 10”
Overall width 6’ 8”
Interior height 6’ 3”

The Escape 5.0 TA uses a standard king pin. The issue with these is that new ones won't be available till late 2016 and used ones are basically impossible to find. Still it's a nice smaller lite weight 5er.

Dry Weight 3,700 lbs.
Dry Pin Weight 600 lbs.
GVWR 5,500 lbs.
Overall length 21’-2”
Overall height 9'-7”
Overall width 7’ 4”
Interior height 6’-4” - 7’

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
I really think your best bet will be an ultra lite Travel Trailer and a real good WDH. Get something used so you can get your money back out of it when you upgrade to a bigger truck and 5th wheel.
I'm open to that but so far I've not seen something I like and the weights are not that much different than the lite 5ers. The other issue is that although I might leave the dogs in a 5er I would not in a TT.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
All I can say id I had a 1998 Ranger ext Cab w/ 4.0 L and Auto, Towed a 18 foot Bayliner with it. Did ok, except uphill. Tranny went out after a year. I would say get a good Half ton at the Least.
bjcarpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote