Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #15

Don't forget to check out the NuWa fifthwheels. Very nice construction and quite a few people full timing in them. They have a forum also if you want to check out some comments there. NuWa RV Owners' Information Exchange
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerroc View Post
Don't forget to check out the NuWa fifthwheels. Very nice construction and quite a few people full timing in them. They have a forum also if you want to check out some comments there. NuWa RV Owners' Information Exchange
Very true if you are looking at used. NuWa ceased production a couple of years ago. They are now building new ones again but not at their facility. Excel is building the HitchHikers for them, at least they were as of a few months ago, and should be very good quality. I don't think they have a dealer network and can only be bought at Kansas RV Center as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #17

Check out Grand Design RV's. I've got a 2014 Solitude 369RL, 39'. I've got about 10,000 trouble free miles so far, and totally pleased with it. When we were shopping, we went to the Portland RV. About the third unit in was a GD Solitude. We checked it out pretty close, but had probably over 100 more to look at. Every other one we looked at, we were always comparing to the Solitude.
Check out the Solitude, I think you'll like it
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #18

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I leave tomorrow for Tampa, and the RV show beginning Wed. I plan to act on all of your suggestions. Thank-you.
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Peterson Industries (Excel) always has units at Tampa. Don't know what they are showing this year.

We have FTed 8 years now, all in Excel. As mentioned, dual panes, very heavy in- house frame, 8000 lb axels with 17.5 wheels and disc brakes, and fiberglass roof. We have traveled through out the US, Canada, (including Newfoundland) and all over Alaska.

We stayed with Excel on our 2nd FT rig as the customer service was second to none.

Good luck
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #20

I like my alpine by keystone
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
Whoooaaa… you guys are scaring me.

jimcumminsw - Jim,

So what units would you look at for full-timing?

A lot of comments on iRV2 forums about dual pane windows losing seal & fogging… I’m starting to think single-pane windows would be a smarter long-term choice? The insulation value is not that much worse.

Don’t plan to be in freezing weather very often (if at all), but I do understand the importance of a well insulated unit.
I will not recommend any manufacture since they all have the +/- built into them.

What I do look at are the features built into them such as frame size and welding of said frame and the component manufactures use. I tend to look at Fit and Finish a lot since that will tell me a lot about the manufacture and their units.

On frames are there weld berries or slag inclusion left behind where visible. Are welds under size for the section size of the tubes and plates welding on them. Inside on the wood working side what type of draw slides are being used it is a face frame style light duty or a full drawer support. Are the drawers just but jointed or dove tail and or a box joint. Are the floors spongy if so than the flooring is only 3/8 thick and will not support full time living in the trailer over time.

Jim W.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
What are you going to pull this big dog with? I would carefully review in great detail the tow truck it will take. If your going to be residential then the 5th must be at least a 40 footer and at least 18000GVWR. This in my opinion warrants a F-450/550 or something equal to. I too have reviewed the "coach vs. 5r", not sure what is worth it. I say I like the floor plans of fifth wheels better. Do you want to tow a car behind the coach or tow a fifth wheel behind the truck?
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Continental Coach by Forks RV

Home of Continental Coach by ForksRV
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #24

Northwood - the Arctic Fox - high quality, less bling..
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #25

We've had our Landmark for 1 month of continuous living, and no problems. So far it's the highest quality 5er , or TT we've had by far. You will pay for it though. It's rated for 365 all season.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #26

If you will be in cold weather a 5th wheel will be insulated better than a motor home. Motorhomes for the most part are not insulated that well.

Look for axle weight capacity...7,000 lb axles or 8,000 lb axles and 17.5" wheels, dual pane windows, have at least a 12" thick I-Beam frame or better yet a boxed frame. DRV Mobile Suits have 3.5" walls. Excel still uses wooded frames, both claim to be insulated well.

Custom 5th wheels are Forks RV, Spacecraft, New Horizons.

Enjoy the Tampa Show
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #27

Thanks for the inputs.

I am at the Tampa RV show today, Thursday 15 Jan. I will be looking all day today at 5th wheels... the one you guys have suggested.

Thanks!
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Go by the Heartland booth where you can talk to other owners and get their direct input on their trailers.

Tags
5th wheel, quality