Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acei View Post
I'm going through a similar exercise too - currently looking to see what trailers I can pull with F150HD. Been doing some research and found this site:

Trailer advisor

I personally like those Open Range Light models, but I'm still not 100% sure if the truck can handle it.
My friend has a 33ft OR with 4k axles that are almost overloaded when the unit is unloaded. On the trip down (first one) he had to replace the 2 rear tires due to axle misalinement. Both axles needed to be rearched and needed more repairs on arrival. And that was after 1500 miles.
So beware of lite Open Range units they will cost you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acei View Post

I personally like those Open Range Light models, but I'm still not 100% sure if the truck can handle it.
Do a lot of research, your instincts may be correct. Strictly my opinion, but a 1/2t pu makes a decent tow vehicle for a tt up to about 7-8k lbs. The higher profile and pin weights of a fw is more than a 1/2t should handle.

My opinion of a "lite weight" is already known, and if you'll go back and look, the Open Range line has been talked about.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up John09

Bought a 2013 winnabago lite 5 , 5th wheel . 29ft 2slides and lots of room.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by John09 View Post
Bought a 2013 winnabago lite 5 , 5th wheel . 29ft 2slides and lots of room.
Congratulations John ) certainty very well built and light.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not seen a Winnebago Lite, but I presume being a Winny, it is done right.

Ken
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #34

I'm looking at the 2014 253FBS 27' Puma. I am not crazy about the kitchen table taking up the entire slide. (one slide) I would prefer to have the couch there with a pull out bed and the table at the back of the camper. They will not alter the floor plan. Around 7000#. $20K at Wana Rv.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnso View Post
I'm looking at the 2014 253FBS 27' Puma. I am not crazy about the kitchen table taking up the entire slide. (one slide) I would prefer to have the couch there with a pull out bed and the table at the back of the camper. They will not alter the floor plan. Around 7000#. $20K at Wana Rv.
That looks like a fairly simple mod you can DIY. Order the table and chairs option instead of the dinette. Unscrew the couch and table from the floor and trade places with them. According to my ruler, the couch will fit in the slide room, but you'll have to do something with the end tables. Maybe just leave them in what will now be the dining room in the back?

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #36

We love our Puma 259rbss. Its an 09 and have great luck with it. The only thing i hate are the tires. We have around 5000 miles on them and the side walls are spliting. Even the spare that has never been used and covered has splites. Good luck and happy camping...
Old 05-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
We love our Puma 259rbss. Its an 09 and have great luck with it. The only thing i hate are the tires. We have around 5000 miles on them and the side walls are spliting. Even the spare that has never been used and covered has splites. Good luck and happy camping...
Trailer tires tend to expire from age, sunlight and improper care, but not from tread wear so much. Assuming your tires were a year old when installed, they have passed their expiration date and you should be glad you never had a blowout.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #38

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
A lot of the posts in this thread are interesting to me based on the OP. I would define a lightweight 5th wheel as something that can be safely towed by a half-ton. So IMHO that is 5th wheels under around 6500 empty. And a V8 F150 or equivalent with a 3.73, adequate payload, etc. that is made for this weight.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
Do a lot of research, your instincts may be correct. Strictly my opinion, but a 1/2t pu makes a decent tow vehicle for a tt up to about 7-8k lbs. The higher profile and pin weights of a fw is more than a 1/2t should handle.
His truck has the HD Payload package giving it a payload of about 2400 lbs and a tow rating of 11K. There are quite a few "half-ton towable" fifth wheels that are within the truck's capabilities. Sometime "light" can just mean smaller as several are under 30'.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #40

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
His truck has the HD Payload package giving it a payload of about 2400 lbs and a tow rating of 11K. There are quite a few "half-ton towable" fifth wheels that are within the truck's capabilities. Sometime "light" can just mean smaller as several are under 30'.
Totally agree. If you do your homework there are good 1/2 ton and FW matches. Most people don't adequately research it but it certainly is doable.

Tags
weight