Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #1

Looking for a New 5th Wheel to Purchase

Need some help finding a new 2020 5th wheel. Ordered new buyers guide to see hopefully all the floor plans but if anyone can suggest them would be great.

We are a family of 5 and of our 3 boys 2 are already 6 ft so bunk beds are out.
We want big living areas to have family gatherings up to 7-8 to sit around.
We want bath and half to two full baths.
Wife lives pantry to store things and I want outdoor entertainment, doesn’t have to be kitchen though.

Want good quality, but not spend $100k.

Her favorite so far is the GrandDesigns Solitude 380FL-R but im not a fan yet. It’s growing on me, just want to see other ideas.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
I think a front living room layout is a good bet for your requirements. Possibly look at front kitchen, but not sure if those have the extra bath you are looking for. You might also want to look at toy haulers. Use the garage area as living space, and you also get a rear patio with those as well. Some have side and back patio.
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I also think the front living room floorplans would have the most comfortable furniture to seat that many in one place. New Horizons & DRV have rear living rooms with 2 opposing couches & either 2 recliners or a loveseat. I'd think with that many boys, having at least a bath & a half would be better & few have that. I see that GD does.

Before we bought motorhomes, a front living room floorplan was we would've gone with had we stayed with a 5-r. Also those have plenty of floor space when the FL slides are out - allowing for sleeping bag space if jackknife or foldout beds aren't comfortable.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:38 PM   #4

I have been thinking of going to a fifth wheel from a class A.

I was browsing on dream finders and saw this one. I have no connection to it just thought it might fit your needs.

https://dreamfindersrv.com/RV/5505165/details.htm
Old 01-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #5

Tall order. I'm thinking toy hauler, send the boys to the garage. The garage could also supply a living area large enough to seat eight for dinner. A rear deck wouldn't hurt either.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #6

Just about all manufactueres make the same floor plans with minor twists. A toy hauler can sleep everyone but a Front Living can seat everyone.

Mid bunk models have the large sq. foot but low balcony area plus a smaller bunk room.

Every floorplan will have pluses and minuses.

My thought is you will not find exactly what you want because if you want to sleep 8 people on occasion that is not easy.

A custom builder like New Horizons of Space Craft can build you whatever you want but will visit $250k. or more.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEHOFF View Post
Need some help finding a new 2020 5th wheel. Ordered new buyers guide to see hopefully all the floor plans but if anyone can suggest them would be great.

We are a family of 5 and of our 3 boys 2 are already 6 ft so bunk beds are out.
We want big living areas to have family gatherings up to 7-8 to sit around.
We want bath and half to two full baths.
Wife lives pantry to store things and I want outdoor entertainment, doesn’t have to be kitchen though.

Want good quality, but not spend $100k.

Her favorite so far is the GrandDesigns Solitude 380FL-R but im not a fan yet. It’s growing on me, just want to see other ideas.
I have been researching fifth wheels for over a year, and was looking HARD at toy haulers. Decided against one because my toy is too heavy to put in one. BUT, for your situation I'd get one. The separate garage is a GREAT second bedroom, and you can get a half bath off the garage as well. You can keep the garage between 10 and 12 feet, and leave the beds set up and still have room to sit a table for extra folks to sit around. One thing for sure to consider if you do a front living area instead - you will have to pick up the beds the kids are using every day to be able to use that space for living - and then you have the issue of where the kids are going to drop all their stuff they bring along with them; clothes, bedding, etc. Your living area will turn into a big bunk room.

Look at Keystone Fuzions and their cheaper counterparts, Impacts. They have great kitchen space and some have hidden pantrys. I fell in love with them, just had the cargo weight issue. A LOT of them have outside entertaining areas, and most offer the patio party deck option. The Keystone Impact 359 comes to mind, 10' garage, second half bath, 39' long, decent sized pantry. I believe this one sleeps 8 or 10. MSRP $77k - you won't pay that. AND, outdoor TV and Fridge.

I hope this helps!! Good luck and tell us what you end up with!
chulavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #8

Looking for a New 5th Wheel to Purchase

Want bigger. Looking at these 3 models. Want 4-5 slide outs. Even thinking Momentum Toy Hauler.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=q8...n&utm_source=4

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=te4efgMfTWg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133288914608
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #9

wow! Those are some nice units!! You probably won't find a toy hauler with that many slides. The best advice I can give you though, is shop, shop, shop, shop. Don't be too hasty in making the decision, and when you find one you want, walk away for a day or two and let the wow factor wear off. Then look at it again when you don't have bling in your eyes, and make sure it will fit everything you want. This is coming from experience.
chulavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #10

For some reason many of the front front room units have small pass through storage areas. For that reason I'd favor a rear front room.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #11

New Fith Wheel Manufacturer

Don't know if you have checked this company out, but Alliance RV is a brand new manufacturer that is currently showing at many RV shows through dealers. I am going to the Pittsburgh show Sunday to take a look. Here is there website link: https://www.alliancerv.com/. They have a Facebook page you can join and give them your suggestions.
Phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:52 AM   #12

Have you seen this one from Cedar Creek?

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...ion/35LFT/4919
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Be careful with toy haulers as the empty pin weight will be very high. Might mean buying a bigger truck than you think to stay within payload rating since they are counting on the toys balancing the load.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #14

This family has collage and high school age children and have a Grand Design toy hauler. Check out this video, it may give you some ideas on sleeping arrangements and organizing your kitchen. I believe those are your top priorities.

Good luck.
ja_landry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, alliance, alliance rv, paradigm, purchase