Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #15

Well, our camper went down the road yesterday evening and I think I am going through withdrawals already, along with a little anxiety of finding a replacement in the next 3 weeks or so.
We went to many dealer lots last weekend and the picking is thin. Not finding a layout that we can agree on that has all(well, most) of the amenities that we want. Storage, inside(for her) and outside(for me) are the biggest sticklers while trying to stay in our budget.

I already miss the old camper....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #16

I second the suggestion above to look at a Grand Design Unit. We just bought a GD Solitude 369RL-R and there are many floor designs in the Solitude and Reflection (standard 5ers) and the Momentum (Toy Hauler) lines.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #17

First rule of thumb when buying an RV: STAY AWAY FROM CAMPING WORLD!
tdst51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
I second the suggestion above to look at a Grand Design Unit. We just bought a GD Solitude 369RL-R and there are many floor designs in the Solitude and Reflection (standard 5ers) and the Momentum (Toy Hauler) lines.
I've looked at a few Grand Design FWs, both Solitude and Reflection models. Problem being, the dealer lots I have looked at didn't have anything close to what I want. They had multiple copies of the Reflection 303RLS, 318RST and 337RLS. These won't be a good fit for us.
They also only had a select few Solitude floor plans, 300GK, 321RL and 384GK. None of these layouts work for us.
In talking to a salesman, he couldn't really let me know if or when they were going to get in some of the floor plans we want to look at: Reflection(357BHS, 367BHS) and Solitude(366DEN, 375RE, 377MB, 379FL).

I really like everything I see in a Grand Design FW, just not going to buy unless I actually see the model in person.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

We did some more looking yesterday. Looked at 10-15 FW's and have come to the conclusion that the floor plans that will work for us are: Bunkhouse(preferably rear bunk with 2 slides), front living room and rear den.
The mid bunk campers we looked at seemed to be a little on the cramped side in the living/kitchen area. There may be a couple in that lay out that would work, just haven't seen one in person yet.
These 3 layouts seem to have the most space for the 4 of us and room if we need it for our oldest if he decides to camp with us or kids' friends.

Time is getting shorter to find "THE ONE", but we are not rushing in to buying something because we "need it now".
Looks like we are going to have to travel further to look at different floor plans and makes/models as we have pretty much seen everything in a 2 hour radius of where we are.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #20

New with warranty is good if you don't mind waiting months for repairs and don't mind incompetent people working on your trailer. Better to buy a high quality unit that doesn't need repairs. If you're looking used, look for a Carriage or Lifestyle. Same design but Lifestyle was the reinvented company after Evergreen bought them. Carriage is regarded as one of the best ever and Lifestyle is also tops. Yes evergreen is out of business but looks like Thor bought them and warranty should be coming back. If not, buy an aftermarket warranty or be committed to repairing it yourself. Personally I prefer a good build that doesn't require much warranty work. If that's your goal, look for a good residential coach
Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #21

I inquired about a couple Grand Design campers today. We'll see what I get out of it.

Any opinion on Highland Ridge Open Range?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
New with warranty is good if you don't mind waiting months for repairs and don't mind incompetent people working on your trailer. Better to buy a high quality unit that doesn't need repairs. If you're looking used, look for a Carriage or Lifestyle. Same design but Lifestyle was the reinvented company after Evergreen bought them. Carriage is regarded as one of the best ever and Lifestyle is also tops. Yes evergreen is out of business but looks like Thor bought them and warranty should be coming back. If not, buy an aftermarket warranty or be committed to repairing it yourself. Personally I prefer a good build that doesn't require much warranty work. If that's your goal, look for a good residential coach
Will do.

I have looked at both of those as well as Evergreen Bay Hill models. Most, if not all, are out of my budget at this time.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #23

The recent bay hills that i have looked at "look" nice but the materials are junk. Make sure the materials and equipment are good and just as important that it's put together well. There's a huge quality difference
Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #24

You might consider looking out of your area, PPL in Houston has several lots, show the actual selling price of units for the last 2 years. Just a thought.

You could fly down, find one you like and have it delivered, maybe.

Realize they are VERY optimistic on condition. Their Very Good is my just barely average.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwi View Post
So, we are searching for a new camper. I have looked at so many different models over the last few months that they are all starting to blend together.
Looking for suggestions on models and brands to look at.

First, it doesn't have to be brand new. I'd like the warranty(maybe?) of brand new, just not the cost associated with it. That being said, I'd prefer to stay 2013 and newer.
Second, budget is capped at about 50K.
Third, it needs to have enough room for 2 adults and 2 children(9 and 12) plus maybe a friend or 2. This may become our full time home in a year or 2.

We really like the front living(lounge) layout and the rear lounge as well. It needs to have a lot of storage, inside and out. We currently have a bunkhouse, and may consider another if the layout is right.

I know my budget is probably going to be my biggest restriction here.

What say you?
Look into the Grand Design models. Specifically the 357BHS, sounds like it would be a great fit for you. I have not heard any negative comments or reviews on here regarding that manufacturer. Best of luck!
Old 07-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
You might consider looking out of your area, PPL in Houston has several lots, show the actual selling price of units for the last 2 years. Just a thought.

You could fly down, find one you like and have it delivered, maybe.

Realize they are VERY optimistic on condition. Their Very Good is my just barely average.
I have been searching nationwide, at least on RV Trader. I see a lot that I like., 1/2 way across the country.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Look into the Grand Design models. Specifically the 357BHS, sounds like it would be a great fit for you. I have not heard any negative comments or reviews on here regarding that manufacturer. Best of luck!
I believe it would be a great fit as well, just want to see one in person to make sure.
Apparently no one has one within 150 miles of my location. I have emailed a couple dealers that list one on their websites but haven't got a response in a week.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #28

Thank you everyone for the responses so far.

I am having a little sellers remorse I think...