Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #1

Looking for a new fifth wheel

So, we are searching for a new camper. I have looked at so many different models over the last few months that they are all starting to blend together.
Looking for suggestions on models and brands to look at.

First, it doesn't have to be brand new. I'd like the warranty(maybe?) of brand new, just not the cost associated with it. That being said, I'd prefer to stay 2013 and newer.
Second, budget is capped at about 50K.
Third, it needs to have enough room for 2 adults and 2 children(9 and 12) plus maybe a friend or 2. This may become our full time home in a year or 2.

We really like the front living(lounge) layout and the rear lounge as well. It needs to have a lot of storage, inside and out. We currently have a bunkhouse, and may consider another if the layout is right.

I know my budget is probably going to be my biggest restriction here.

What say you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #2

We REALLY like our XLR Thunderbolt. We use the garage for a rear apartment when the kids go with us. Perfect for our use.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
As you have probably already figured out, FLOOR PLAN is the critical component. Once you determine your best floor plan the object is to wait until you find the right used unit or order a new unit with the floor plan you chose.

If buying used you will have to check the unit out very carefully for issues. We used a KZ for a number of years and got great service from it.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

Look at the Coachmen Chaparral 360IBL and 390... both can be bought brand new under 42-43k loaded.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #5

I looked at new and used units in the $15k range, locally (Camping World) and they showed me low $20k models which were nice so I could only imagine what a $50k budget would get you.

It might be helpful to know what you plan to tow with as this would be a consideration also. I thought my 2000 F350 would "tow anything on the lot" until I saw what the new 5th wheel weights are.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies so far everyone.

I am not opposed to a toyhauler either. If we do move in the next year or 2, we will likely live in the camper for a while until we find a new home or build one wherever we move to.

As far as towing goes, I have a 2008 F350 CCLB with the 6.4 Powerstroke.

I am not opposed to traveling the country to get the best deal on a camper either.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

Why don't you begin by shopping for a dealer you feel the most comfortable with? Then see what they have that fits your needs.

You don't say where you live, and whether there is availability of used units from individuals. Buying direct from original owners is also good, and shopping through RVTrader.com is a good source.

I've got a Grand Design Reflection 323BHS bunk house trailer, and I'm very impressed. They're a new company that started first of 2014, so none of their units are very old. My trailer weighs 11K lbs. dry with 2K kingpin weight--with 4 slides. 3/4 ton diesel trucks will handle it.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
We REALLY like our XLR Thunderbolt. We use the garage for a rear apartment when the kids go with us. Perfect for our use.
I have a good friend that has a XLR Nitro 39DKS5. It is very nice.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Why don't you begin by shopping for a dealer you feel the most comfortable with? Then see what they have that fits your needs.

You don't say where you live, and whether there is availability of used units from individuals. Buying direct from original owners is also good, and shopping through RVTrader.com is a good source.

I've got a Grand Design Reflection 323BHS bunk house trailer, and I'm very impressed. They're a new company that started first of 2014, so none of their units are very old. My trailer weighs 11K lbs. dry with 2K kingpin weight--with 4 slides. 3/4 ton diesel trucks will handle it.
I am on RVTrader.com daily, looking at what is out there and floor plans that we like.

Current camper was purchased from the original owner. He took very good care of it as have I.

I live in NW Wisconsin, about 1 hour north of the twin cities.
We have stopped at a few dealers in the area, just haven't found the exact floor plan we like. We see parts of each camper that is a good fit for what we want, but have yet to come across one that says "Buy ME".

We did look at an Evergreen(now out of business) Bay Hill 379FL that we loved, but with the manufacturer shutting down I don't feel comfortable buying one. Plus, it is out of our price range by a good bit.

I really like the Grand Design campers as well.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #10

Don't discount Cragislist. You can set up an e-mail alert for the Camper section with a price range and it will e-mail you results.

I will admit, it was rather annoying as I'd get several throughout the day and it would ding my phone but it worked out for me. You do have to put up with the "fake" ads but after a while you know which ones they are and can scroll past them in the e-mail.

Right when I was about to give up and delete the alert (1 month), I found one and as luck would have it I was only 30 minutes away from his location at the time. I talked him down $1,000 (it was already cheap) AND got him to deliver it 2 hours away (to my house) for $100 since I didn't have a hitch at the time. Local wrecker wanted $200 for a half the distance/time. He sold it, I got it for a my budget and we both walked away satisfied and didn't worry about dealer fees or sales taxes. I don't know if RV warranties transfer though.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think your budget is a constraint on a 2013. I think you should consider the toy hauler also if it's equipped with happi-jack bed system (basically 2 queen bunk beds). If you're in the south, you'll want a minimum of 2 AC systems. Personally, I'd be looking for DRV and maybe if you can stretch that budget a bit, Grand Design (they go back to about 2014).

The toughest thing about a used RV is finding one that has been taken care of. Ideally, you'd buy from a private party that can show you maintenance on the roof, wheel bearings, etc. And that has kept it in covered storage. Likely you'll run into a bunch of 2013s that have never been touched for maintenance at all.. Assume that dealers won't disclose what's wrong with them, even if they know, and likely 1-2 year old trade-ins may be the product of quality frustration.

You'll need to learn to carefully inspect them or be willing to hire someone who can - either way it's absolutely necessary. Don't roll the dice on 50k.

Honestly, at your budget, you're right on the edge of new territory for some of the 2-axle upper 30' foot toy haulers by Forest River, Keystone, and perhaps Jayco. Just be aware that new models will have a shake down period and you may experience big delays with warranty service.

We lived in a used (Class-A) for about a year while building a house....
Old 07-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #12

The search is going to get real, I believe my current camper just sold!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #13

Yeah.... good luck!
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #14

Well, with your budget, you could be looking at brand new. Our '16 GD Reflection 318 RST was right there where you need to be, and they "threw in" the companion hitch as part of the deal. Biggest thing to watch out for is going over your weight capacity in your truck. Unless yours is a dually (which it doesn't sound like?). Watch the pin weights and gross weights. Ours is 2500 on the pin and 11,800 gross trailer the way we have it loaded for trips, and we're no where near max trailer weight, but we're pretty close (but under) max truck weight ratings on our F250. Since yours is a CC and a diesel, your actual cargo capacity will be just barely higher than ours in our SC gas engine.