Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Slider or not or ????
Manual Slider 10 22.73%
Auto Slider 11 25.00%
Don't want a slider 9 20.45%
5er pinbox sits back far enough don't need one 16 36.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Looking for a Wider audience for this poll

For those with a shortbed pickup

do you use a slider hitch?
auto?
manual?
no slider because trailer is far enough back?
or just don't want one? need one ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #2

Had a short wheelbase Dodge 3500 with just a stationary hitch, pulling a Hartland fifth wheel with their patented front cap and never got in a situation that got me in trouble.
ccrider, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

To allow adequate room to load my HD behind the cab, I'm pretty much looking at a class 4 or 5 with a flatbed and 84" CA. No need for a slider.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I have a Reese 16K manual slider. I have some tight maneuvering to do to turn around and back into carport in backyard.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No longer have it but did have a F250 shortbed and Cardinal 5er. Never had a problem and did have a few situations where I had to make some pretty tight turns.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

I also have a Reese 16K manual slider hitch. I tend to use the slider feature in camp grounds and when backing into my driveway at home. With the Trail-air pin box and the 88 deg corners on the Cougar; I do not need to use the sliding feature when traveling on the city streets and or highways.

I also believe it is better to have a slider hitch with a short box truck than wishing you had one when needed.

Jim W.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #7

I have a f250 sb and pull a Sabre 5th wheel with a b&w companion hitch. No slider and never had a problem, yet. I am very cautious and very aware of angles, surroundings, and elevations so I can prevent truck/camper collision.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #8

I have an F250 shortbed...when I bought my 5er the previous owner sent me home with a Reese 16K manual slider. After looking at his F250 shortbed with both corners of his cab doinked in I figured I needed a slider so I didn't have to worry. I could never get the hitch to slide while the trailer was hooked up (well, a couple times....SCREEEEEECH - BLAM! Scared the heck out of us!) so I bit the bullet and bought a Demco Highjacker Autoslide and while at the hitch store the owner asked whether the Reese had round tubes or square tubes. I told him "square" and he shrugged and said "oh - that's a bad design and they don't work. The ones with round tubes work good, however."

I haven't put a trailer on the new hitch yet...c'mon spring!

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

Short bed trucks and fifth wheel trailers existed before any type of slider hitch existed. That is the way I towed for 14 years w/o issue. In 2003, I added a manual slider in case my next fiver didn't have an extended pin box. Never really needed it, think the last time I actually slid the hitch back was in '05 or '06. Now with a notched cap fiver I'm switching back to the old fixed legs as soon as I get them repainted.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
When I towed with a short bed, I did pop out my rear cab window making a tight turn (backing up) without sliding the hitch. I opted to back up without sliding the hitch (even tho i had the darn thing) and got too tight popping out the window.

I didn't see a vote for IT DEPENDS. It depends on the 5th wheel you get. If it has one of the front caps designs that has the front corners notched, I wouldn't see a need for a slider hitch. But if you get the older style front caps my vote would be to have a slider.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #11

I have shortbed F250 and a Montana 5th wheel. I have a slider and use it pretty often. It is much cheaper to slide the trailer than replace the back window.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #12

Reese Sidewinder

I love our Reese Sidewinder pinbox with Fifth Airborne airbag. The sidewinder moves the pivot point back 18" (I believe). We've had it for about 3 years now. With it, a shortbed truck maneuvers in very tight turns with no problems whatsoever. We use the Reese 18K hitch which works great with the sidewinder. Only downside is it can be a bit tricky at first to hitch up. You have to be pretty much dead on and have the sidewinder at the proper height to click. Once you figure out the sweet spot is, it's a piece of cake.

They are a little pricey. The Fifth Airborne airbag is an option which puts a nice airbag shock absorber on the pinbox and smooths out the ride nicely. Another similar product from Reese is the Reese Revolution.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #13

A lot of the need depends on the 5'ver you're towing. I had an 08 Jayco Designer that had the contoured front cap and never used the slider function on my Husky hitch. But I never got myself into a situation where I needed to jack it 90* either.
I eventually got wise and moved up to a long bed dually.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I did have a GMC 2500 swb crew and used a Pullrite super slide towing a cedar creek several tight turns, it did it's job.
bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote