Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
KC

Any one have any info on Open Road 5th wheel, good or bad? Any info on Pilgrim on how they handle problems?

Thanks

KC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
KC

Any one have any info on Open Road 5th wheel, good or bad? Any info on Pilgrim on how they handle problems?

Thanks

KC
Old 05-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #3

Just picked up our 2007 Open Road 359RL3S last friday, had the hitch installed and dealer taught us how to pull the trailer(went from TT to 5er) Camped for the weekend and loved it. Most options were on the trailer, didnt add a thing..The decor is great and hubby said it pulled nicely. We did lots of research and friends have a 2006 same model Open Road, we are impressed with the wood inside and everything worked exceptionally well..one note-our king bed mattress is awful, will contact the factory and tell them, and we will probably buy a better one hopefully from a reg store..we loved the roomyness. Now to fill it up and head out this winter for Arizona..
dona

2004 F350/6.0L/turbodiesel/crew-Open Road 359RL3-S5 (2010'Dodge ram 3500 Mega on order)
Dona and Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:08 AM   #4

KC,

There is a "consumer reports" for RV's. As I have in the past on this forum, I would urge you, or anyone else planning to buy an RV, to get a copy of the RV Consumer's Group ratings guide (CD). This will give you some objective information and ratings on the different models out there. Yes, the guide costs about $80, but that is pretty insignificant when you are going to spend $35,000+ on a fifth wheel. (You may be able to find the guide in some libraries.)

We have used the guide to purchase our last 3 RV's and found the ratings to be quite accurate. The RV we purchased before we discovered the ratings was a piece of junk and we wish we had know about the RVCG guide then. (The guide had accurately predicted it was poor in quality.) There are models out there that are better rated for the same money and identical features. Unless you are an expert on RV's (which we are not), think about it. The RV Consumers Group website is: RV Consumers Group

Do not believe anything that RV salespeople tell you and only about half of what RV owners tell you about their rigs. They are not objective after having made a decision and sinking $30,000+ into their rigs. They want to believe they got the best.

Good Luck!

2002 F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4,
cdrcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdrcos:
KC,

Do not believe anything that RV salespeople tell you

Good Luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is a blatantly unfair comment about every RV salesman. I started selling RVs because I love RVs and wanted to help others get the right RV.

I no longer sell RVs because "honest" RV salemen don't sell enough to make a living, at least not with our sales structure. I would carefully research tow ratings for people, tell people about the reality of what they should and shouldn't tow based on what they would tow with.

When I left the business, I left a group of salemen/saleswomen who never had towed, and would probably tell someone that they could easily tow a 5th wheel with a Miata if they thought they could make the sale.

As nasty as this will sound, I would conservatively say that 9 out of 10 potential customers are actively lying when discussing their purchase intent. We had one family who worked with another salesman, ran him around the lot for 3 hours, came back 3 or 4 days later, told me that they never wanted to deal with that salesman again, worked me for about 2 hours of useless drivel (Class A, Class C, travel trailer) until I finally abandoned them as hopeless. The first Salesman follows up with them, they tell him that they had asked for him, and that I refused to let them talk to him again, and that they would never buy an RV from us. They weren't going to buy an RV from anyone at any dealership - period.

I think that salesmen develop a tough skin and basically, give back what they get. If you go into a dealership without a clue of what you are getting into, you better either get a person knowledgeable and willing to spend the time with you or truly go home after looking and then come back and ask for them.

Follow up performance reviews of my lost potential customers told my general manager that I was great at working with people, and that they learned a lot from me, but that they had bought at another dealership because of price, or location, or whatever. So some way smarter than me salesman had gotten an educated confident customer once they finally decided to buy. Makes you realize just why salesmen finally get indifferent and do pretty much anything to get the sale. I just can't lie to people and tell them their half ton pickup will pull a 39' Teton.

wynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 AM   #6

I used to deal with Open Road 5th wheels and with Pilgrim. The dealership stopped carrying both of them.

Seemed to be middle of the road quality/features at a middle of the road price point. Their price point made them tough sells, because they were higher priced than the "mass market" 29, 31 footers, and didn't appeal to the folks who liked the upscale brands of Landmark and Teton. I know I never sold one.

Probably doesn't tell you much, but that's all I know.

I think they had trouble getting brand specific parts, but that was quite a while ago. Seems to me that they were also heavier than most wanted to deal with. (needed F350 Super Duty, 3500 HD I think).

Old 06-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
KC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wynot:
I used to deal with Open Road 5th wheels and with Pilgrim. The dealership stopped carrying both of them.

Seemed to be middle of the road quality/features at a middle of the road price point. Their price point made them tough sells, because they were higher priced than the "mass market" 29, 31 footers, and didn't appeal to the folks who liked the upscale brands of Landmark and Teton. I know I never sold one.

Probably doesn't tell you much, but that's all I know.

I think they had trouble getting brand specific parts, but that was quite a while ago. Seems to me that they were also heavier than most wanted to deal with. (needed F350 Super Duty, 3500 HD I think). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was looking at a 08 F350.

Price wise they were lower than most, price of 42k for a 38' rear entertainment model.

KC
Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KC:
[(needed F350 Super Duty, 3500 HD I think). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Price wise they were lower than most, price of 42k for a 38' rear entertainment model.

KC[/QUOTE]

Makes sense, remember, the pickups have increases their payload numbers from even a couple of years ago.

Price-wise, whatever you can negotiate... I was just passing on memories of the old days.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
KC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wynot:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KC:
[(needed F350 Super Duty, 3500 HD I think). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Makes sense, remember, the pickups have increases their payload numbers from even a couple of years ago.

Price-wise, whatever you can negotiate... I was just passing on memories of the old days.[/QUOTE]

Thanks you for your input

KC