Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Evergreen Owners Club
Looking for best fifth wheel pin boxes for rough ride

Hi all. Looking for some advice from you fifth wheel vets. My wife is really freaked by the chucking we get at times on rough roads and the occasional hard rebound on some abrupt dips on the road. So I am looking for a solution to smooth out our ride to make it more enjoyable for her.

I have a 2014 Ford F-350 4x2 SRW with the 3.7 diesel. We are pulling a BayHill 38 foot 5th wheel that weighed in at 13250 loaded. Weighed a couple of times and with the full rig hook up. Easily within overall towing capacity, GCVWR and the GVWR for the truck. Going to weigh again to make sure I am within all weight ratings. I am running the Reese 18k Elite hitch made for the Ford 5th wheel package. I had Ford add air bags to the suspension and feel it has made a big difference in the rebounds we experienced. Being a rookie puller I assume you can't eliminate it on very harsh road dips and bumps.

My research suggested that three different pin boxes might make a big difference in chucking as well as rebound...MOR/ryde RPB, Reese 5th Airborne and the TrailAir TriGlide Air Ride. Really would be interested in your experience with any or all of these Pin Boxes! Thanks in advance.

CorbandErin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
A few weeks ago a person on this forum said they were changing from Trail-Air to Mor-Ryde. When asked why he said it is possible to load the Trail-Air with enough weight as to make it far less effective.

The post was within the last two weeks if I recall correctly.

I have both Mor-Ryde on the trailer as well as the pin box. I only feel minor chucking if the road is really bad.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
you will always have some bumps that you will fell. No getting around that. I put the TrailAir KingPin on 5 years ago. It made a big difference in the ride. Coupled now with my 2012 F-450 I will honestly state that there are times when we forget the trailer is back there and it weighs in at just over 17K pounds. Sure we still feel the road at times, but I mostly see the top of the kingpin box (above the air bag) bouncing while the lower part (and the truck) rides nice and smooth,
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
I have had both Mor Ryde and 5th Airborne. I believe the Mor Ryde was the better of the two, but I really have never had any chucking issues other than the occasional hiccup road. I did have to spend some time dialing the 5th Airborne in so it towed right. With either, I have always had to keep looking back to see if the trailer was still there.
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
New Horizons Owners Club
We have the Demco Glide ride on our NuWa Champagne and it stops a majority of the Chucking you get with a standard pin box.
You won't ever get all the chucking to stop but this one works great for us.
Larry Burkett
NULarry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The Demco GlideRide pinbox extension on our Mobile Suites is quite effective at controlling surging. No complaints at all.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
I had the factory Trail Air take so much air that it ceased to function as anything but a rigid support. We went to a Mor-Ryde and eliminated the chucking. Combined with the Mor-Ryde IS, it eliminated the rough ride from the trailer.

There are likely a number of other possible solutions, but we are very happy with this combination.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
Morryde IS is an incredible system. Before the IS, we had the same hitch that we currently have (trailer saver air hitch with a binkley head) but had leaf spring suspension; the old suspension still would chuck on occasion. We have absolutely no chucking at all on any surface now with the Morryde IS.
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
I have had more than one Mor/Ryde pin box and I have been happy with them. Never had IS suspension or 5th Airborne.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #10

I'll chime in for the TrailAir Tri-Glide unit.

Aired up properly (little arrow at the juncture of upper shock housing) for up / down bouncing and the Demco like Tri-Glide unit for fore / aft motion and the truck rides like there isn't a trailer connected. You can't get around the fact that you have ton in the bed and, yes, the really huge "knocks" will let you know they happened, but, the normal jostling is gone and even the infrequent big knock is lessened in its severity. Makes the truck ride better, the trailer rides better and IMHO, that has to be good for the mechanical punishment of both; I sure know the riders are much happier. I won't tow without one. It is weird watching the gyrations the pin box goes through while not feeling it in the truck. A good thing.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
I have MorRyde IS, MorRyde pinbox and still had chucking. Hated it. I finally bought an Air Safe air hitch. Wow, what a difference. It moves in all directions, not just up and down. It dramatically changes the shock on the frame of the fiver, especially around the king pin framing. Expensive, but it does the job. Wish I had bought it before buying the MR pinbox.
2003 Dodge HO 6 speed Laramie Dually, Jordan controller, RDS fuel tank, Air Ride 25K hitch
Carriage 36' fiver, Onan 6500, Prosine 2K inverter, 3 slides, MORyde IS and Kingpin
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
I have a MUCH heavier 5th wheel and went with the Reese 5th Air Borne and as long as you keep air in it, it glides over the bumps. I have air shocks on my 450, air shocks on the 5'er and the air pin box so the only bumps I experience are when the front wheels hit pot holes, anything else is just a floating bump.
2008 F-450 King Ranch (mutha hauler)
2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MorRyde pin box and IS suspension. The trailer rides pretty good unless the road is really bad. Some of the roads in Louisiana are a real challenge.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
For the trl you might look at the morryde4000 it is a bolt on replacement for the factory equalizer and provides 4inch of vertical travel. I have a Hensly bd3 air ride 5th wheel expensive but works well. My new trl came with a trail air pin so l experience zero chucking. I think the morryde is probably a good bet for the pin.No air to deal with. If you happen to buy an air pin you can adjust the amt of pressure as to what works best for your trl. Happy trails.
Ps remember all that chucking is beating up every component of that trl.

jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote