Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for quality 5th wheel under 12'4" tall.

We are looking for a quality 5th wheel that is under 12'4" in height.

We had a HitchHiker Discover America that we bought new in 2005 that was 12'3" then decided to try a 2010 Winnebago Adventurer class A that had basement air and was also 12'3".
Storage height at the house is the reason for the restricted height. We do want a quality unit to pull behind an F350. Suggestions will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Carriage Cameo is a bit over 12'11" at the high point. I do not know of any short high end 5ers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

I would think that you will need to raise the sotrage roof IF you insist on having any quality unit. Most start at at least 12' 6" and go up. Mine is 13' 4" for a reason - 9 foot ceilings and R25 roof.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #4

My guess is your going to be really limited on selection and probably be very lucky to find a floor plan you like. If your talking about high quality as in upper end 5er's then you'll be out of luck. You will need to look at mid priced 5'ers in the 'lite' versions as they will be a mid profile with a lower roof height.

Here's one that's 11'-11". V-Cross Platinum Fifth Wheel by Forest River

Another
Wildcat Maxx Fifth Wheel by Forest River

Denali makes a bunch of 12'2" 5'ers also.
Nothing high end.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the replies, looks like I will have to spend the bucks to get the cover raised. Means cutting the 4" square posts and welding in the extensions while raising the whole roof.

Hope to look at the Excel or Lifestyle in the shorter lengths. Maybe other brands also.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #6

we have a Grand Design connected to my Dodge we are right at 13'
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Keystone Sprinter makes a few 5ers that fit your height but probably not the quality you are looking for in a unit.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #8

it might be cheaper and easier to cut out the concrete floor than raise the roof.
get quotes for both.
flcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #9

Sunnybrook Raven 11' 11".

Surprised no one has mentioned the Sunnybrook Raven. I don't know what kind of insulation it uses (their web site is not very good) and after taking apart a sidewall on our old Jayco to extract some soaking fiberglass batts all trailers that use them have been dropped from our list of potential replacements, along with any trailer taller than 12 feet and a few inches. I have also been advised that any trailer that uses kitchen counter material on a bedroom chest of drawers or on a living room credenza or anywhere other than a kitchen counter is also disqualified.
drobert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #10

My Sundance is 12 4 ..
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #11

Puma has a lot of fifth wheels right at that mark.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #12

Look for a Weekend Warrior. Pretty sure they are now out of business, but there should be plenty around. My buddy had a 5er that was almost the same height the full length. You had to crawl into the front bedroom, though.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #13

I have one of the "Low Profile" Fifth wheels that you are talking about. It isn't for everybody, but we love it. It's as tall as a TT. So we have to crawl into the queen bed. We love it because of the size. at only 22 feet and being as low as a regular TT we can take this places a lot of other trailers wouldn't be able to go. Our trailer is a Wanderer Lite made by Thor Industries. They don't make these low profile trailers anymore, unfortunately. I like the fifth wheel style trailer, but for the needs of a growing family it's harder and harder to find one that is both small and sleeps a lot of people.
Kewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #14

Two units just miss- the Excel 28RKW is 12'7" and the Arctic Fox 27-5L is listed at 12'6".
Nuwa Hitchhiker has a few models right at 12'4". If you can locate one. They're about 34 feet long. Here's a link to their specs.
http://www.nuwa.com/discover/specs/
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, quality