Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don't have a redwood, but an Alfa Gold, GVW is 16,400# and that is similar to your 16,000# redwood. My drives are 6600# with 30 gal fresh water, empty holding tanks and 30gal fuel in the auxiliary fuel tank, plus full truck fuel tank and 2 people in the truck, the trailer axles were 12,500#, GCW is 23,500#, I really don't see these as SWR numbers, can it be done, sure, but I for one wouldn't be comfortable doing it, you also don't have any leeway. I see in the Redwood litature that they are using 235 80R16" LRE tires, mine has the LRG and they are not enough, run too hot. just got my 17.5" wheels, and will be getting the tires shortly. The disc brakes are a great option, wouldn't be without them. Just giving you my 2 cents.

03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
Forest River Owners Club
I guess you won't trust my answer because I don't own a Redwood , but here goes anyways. I have 32-3400 on the pin depending on loading, tank levels, etc. Trailer goes about 14k. My 350 SRW short bed tows 100% perfect. Get about 11 MPG highway doing 70 or so. One hand on the wheel level of comfort. Stops on a dime and handles like a dream. The word "need" is a funny thing as it's opinion. Some feel they "need" a DRW truck. I don't feel I do. Bottom line is, it's up to you as to what you feel comfortable with. My guess is that, if your posting a question like yours on the forums, you should get a DRW LB. That's what 99% of the people on forums will tell you to get and you probably knew that before posting. (It's kind of like calling Dr. Laura. I can't imagine anyone being surprised that they got yelled at, LOL.) I knew the weights of my truck and trailer before ordering each and didn't ask anyone anything and am very satisfied with the result. Actually, the result was even better than I expected with my truck sitting level with the trailer hooked up. None of those evil leveling devices needed...

taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by magzne1 View Post
When I was at the factory I was talking to one of the transport drivers. He pulls them all over the country with a gas 3/4 chevy with a 6 ft bed without a slider. He said he's never had a problem.

I have a 2011 F350 4x4 Lariet short bed. I have a 6000 Lb front axle and a 7000 back axle giving me 13000 lbs to play with. My truck weighs 8000lbs so I should be able to carry 5000lbs even though the paper work says 4000 lb cargo. My truck tires will handle 15000lbs.

I'll have my trailer in 2 weeks and I'll let you know how it goes. The pin weight on the Redwood I bought is 2660 empty. Most of the weight for the contents of the trailer goes to the axles but not all. I figure a real pin weight to be around 3100 I also ordered my trailer with G rated tires and disk brakes so I'm not worried about stopping the rig
What is the GVWR of your truck? You cannot add the front axle and rear axle GAWRs to come up with your capacity. Works that way for MHs but not pick ups. Your actual cargo carrying capacity is on the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left side of the frame...open the driver's door and you should see it.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
A pickup is NOT a class 8 tractor. The GVWR is seldom the sum of the axle GAWRs. If you don't believe me, check the sticker in the driver's door jamb. More times than not, the manufacturer's GVWR will be LESS than the sum of the GAWRs.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Originally Posted by redalertsc View Post
Have a question only I trust a response from a redwood owner. I have a 2012 F350 SRW 4x4 Diesel and curious how many of you are satisfied pulling a Redwood w/ SRW Truck. Thank you.
Redwoods website shows 8 different size 5th wheel trailers. Some are very doable with the new '12 F350 SRW 11500 GVWR with 7000 RAWR. Payloads run from 3790 lbs up to 4440 lbs and tow ratings from 15.7k to 16.6k, depending on how your truck is configurated. Use your own math for actual available capacities.

With 8 different size Redwoods you really need to give your trailers GVWR as some of the Redwoods are heavy and need the F350 DRW.

Redwood has a RV forum http://http://www.redwood-rv.com/for...l-rv-questions. Someone over there may have your same combo and can give you a good realistic answer.

'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote