Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 01:09 AM   #15

Don't let the weight police scare you off, but I would stay in the 30-32 ft range. 12,00 lbs. The kids can sleep on the floor or couch. I live in the LA area also. 27 ft 5r is same as truck with a 20 ft pull trailer. Lots of forest service and state camp grounds were designed for this size. Example; Rincon beach at Ventura will only handle 40 ft. With a 5r you have to jack knife in and unhook to fit. What kind of camping do you want to do? Boondock? get all the fresh water capacity possible. I have an old Alpenlite that was of very high quality. It carries 100 gallons of fresh water and 100 gallons of waste. I have seen them for 5,000 to 12,000 dollars. Mine is 20 years old with 77,000 miles on it and I would not trade it for a new one. All the appliances are the same in most RV's. Don't worry that the Mfg. is out of business. All the repairs are generic.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
Don't let the weight police scare you off, but I would stay in the 30-32 ft range. 12,00 lbs. The kids can sleep on the floor or couch. I live in the LA area also. 27 ft 5r is same as truck with a 20 ft pull trailer. Lots of forest service and state camp grounds were designed for this size. Example; Rincon beach at Ventura will only handle 40 ft. With a 5r you have to jack knife in and unhook to fit. What kind of camping do you want to do? Boondock? get all the fresh water capacity possible. I have an old Alpenlite that was of very high quality. It carries 100 gallons of fresh water and 100 gallons of waste. I have seen them for 5,000 to 12,000 dollars. Mine is 20 years old with 77,000 miles on it and I would not trade it for a new one. All the appliances are the same in most RV's. Don't worry that the Mfg. is out of business. All the repairs are generic.
Thanks for the help.

Beach camping and maybe some mountains, like bishop. Not much into the boondocks. Full hook up camping would be ideal. Do you have any suggestions what to look for or where to go to look?

Thanks again for your input. I really appriciate it.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
No weight police here. Just providing information on how to get the correct combination to stay within the published specifications for the unit. What you do with the information is up to you. You can be as prudent or foolish as you feel comfortable with.

As a side note I have observed that in Nebraska they are signing the weigh scales with "All trucks and pickups with trailers must enter". Could not tell you if this is an anomaly or just the beginning of tighter compliance checks for light duty trucks.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
No weight police here. Just providing information on how to get the correct combination to stay within the published specifications for the unit. What you do with the information is up to you. You can be as prudent or foolish as you feel comfortable with.
I think that's the definition of "Weight Police",LOL
Old 10-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #19

Oldbeek where do you like to go? Do you have any suggestions on when to book for sites? Places where my kids can ride bikes and play in the ocean.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #20

When you are deciding what to pull, don't forget to think about the human cargo you are taking with you.

Just because a truck can pull it, it doesn't mean it can stop or maneuver..especially in a panic situation..

I hear a lot of talk about the weigh police.. do the math and build in a safety buffer..the math doesn't lie ...
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadd View Post
Oldbeek where do you like to go? Do you have any suggestions on when to book for sites? Places where my kids can ride bikes and play in the ocean.
I like Rincon beach( first come first serve) no reservations, but it is a no service camping area. Check out the ventura county parks and the state parks on the coast. Full hook up in Bishop is Browns campground. A nice park with a fishing stream running through it is Tenahama creek cg. Again no service but a fun cg for kids. Between Big Pine and Independence.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #22

Quote:
I like Rincon beach( first come first serve) no reservations, but it is a no service camping area. Check out the ventura county parks and the state parks on the coast. Full hook up in Bishop is Browns campground. A nice park with a fishing stream running through it is Tenahama creek cg. Again no service but a fun cg for kids. Between Big Pine and Independence.

Pismo Beach RV resort is nice for family and beach
Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #23

Humm...9,200 is not much at all. Just a guess but your truck probably weighs 7,400 lbs. That leaves only 1,800 lbs. for you, fuel, hitch, wife, kids, tools, bikes, and pin weight of the 5th wheel.

Weight police...for crying out loud the OP lives in Cali. He better try to stay with a resonable trailer.

NUWA and Excel built some shorter models that his truck might be able to carry.

I will admit that a 5th wheel is generally built better than a travel trailer, tows better etc. But maybe in this case you should look at travel trailers.

Your truck could pull a bunk house model travel trailer. Bunk house model 5th wheels are usally the 37' to 40' models and are way to heavy for your truck.

Bunk House trailers will have the bunks in the back and the bed in the front.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #24

I got my truck thinking that it could pull a trailor no problem. Whats the deal? Its has towing gears and towing package, its a diesel.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #25

http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373
Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #26

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/to...5th-wheel.html
Old 10-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #27

These guys are towing way over 9200lbs
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadd View Post
I got my truck thinking that it could pull a trailor no problem. Whats the deal? Its has towing gears and towing package, its a diesel.
It can - we are just trying to help you to determine which trailer you should tow to safely transport you and your family to many happy camping locations.

Tags
5th wheel