Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree on buying a used trailer that is in decent shape aand seeing what you like and dislike....then a few months later get the one you really want and need.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Buy a trailer that's a few years old and go camping. You will soon learn the ins and outs of 5th wheels. Within six months, or so, you will know exactly what you like and dislike with your rig and you will soon be shopping for the trailer of your dreams based on your real-time experience. That's what happened to us.

That's what happened to us too. Bought what the DW thought was the ideal layout. After a couple of years of travel and finding what we really needed, bought a floor plan that we really liked. Still happy with it.

-.-

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #17

Thank you all so much, this has been really helpful advice on some things I hadn't yet considered.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #18

This is excellent advice.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #19

We too are looking for a new rig. We would like to visit the Sates at the time that the best 5th wheeler shows are on
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #20

Oops hit the wrong button. As I was saying we are from Australia and own a 2007 crossroads cruiser triple slide which has left hand entry door and would like to upgrade. Reading alot of posts and the Excels etc high end appeal. But we would like to look at the rigs either at RV shows or at manufacturer's sites and would like some tips on where and when is the best time to come over. Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #21

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Biggest RV show in the winter months is the Tampa RV Super Show, Jan. 16-20, 2013. More info here.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #22

Thanks Halfdimes. Are there any others that we should be looking at. It would be good to use our time looking at as many as we can. Is this the best time to come to see a series of shows. I see at RVUSA.com that there are quite a few rv shows. As we are new to the US then where else on that RVUSA list should we try?
Greg Bate
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #23

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Depends on how much time you have and when you plan on visiting the U.S. If it was me, I would be narrowing my search via the net and then finding out if the rigs you're interested in will be represented at any of the shows. Even better is to visit the factories of the manufacturers on your short list. Most are located in the northern Indiana area with the notable exception of NuWa and Excel in Kansas. NuWa is currently winding down production of new units but will keep its service, parts, and sales lot in operation.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
You might want to look at the Heartland lines with three models rated for full time use, Big Country, Bighorn and Landmark. Landmark also has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty with a 5 year frame warranty. Outstanding customer service and a VERY active owners forum.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #25

Construction has been mentioned on the thread before me. I'd just like to stress that there is NOTHING more important than construction! That and the ability to tow it safely.

For that reason, I'm going to vote on an Evergreen RV! These folks are doing construction the right way!

EverGreen Recreational Vehicles - Manufacturer of Green Eco-Friendly Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels

My understanding i that they're pretty hard to come by 2nd hand, because the original owners love them and they're not falling apart!

This video will give you an idea of the Evergreen construction vs traditional construction.

Good luck on your search!

WoodGlue
WoodGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #26

That sounds like great advice. I'm currently researching the truck I would need. Going to the RV show this coming weekend.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #27

Don't buy a Redwood if you are going full time. Two year warrenty (check the fine print). I own a Redwood it's our second fifth wheel. Only a year an a half old with a LOT of problems. Good luck
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #28

lycialive,
Sorry I didn't answer your question about the truck earlier. Missed the question. I currently have a Chevy diesel 3500 SRW 4X4 CC SB. I have owned prior to this truck a 04 Chevy 2500 Gasser 4X4 CC SB, a 06 Dodge 2500 diesel 4X4 CC SB and a Dodge 07.5 diesel 3500 dually 4X4 CC. While I loved the 06 Dodge, the payload and truck GVWR did not meet the load requirements of my 5er at the time. I do think my current truck is the best of all of them, but thats me.

Here are my thoughts on your questions.

If you are going to full time or use it in all seasons, get the best trailer you can for your money. The best 5ers are mentioned above, but I will point them out again. Top of the line trailers are: Excel,Carriage, NuWa, Mobile Suites, HitchHiker, and New Horizons. Lifestyle may be OK, but they are a new company with the employees from Carriage. To new to tell yet IMHO.

All the above trailers are big (long) and heavy. At a minimum you should consider a 3500 dually somthing. All three mfgers make a good truck now.

The next tier down are Montana, Triple E, Hartland (Bighorn, Landmark) and Cardinal, and possibility the Arctic Fox.

Keep in mind as a new RVer, you will probably change trailers within the next 2-4 years as most of us have, so consider that in your evaluation. But don't skimp on the truck. That gets expensive! I know!!.

Good Luck on your investigation. Above all do not believe anything any sales person tells you. Confirm, confirm, confirm everything.

bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote