Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #1

Looking to buy our first trailer

Hey everyone, I'm new here, and we're going to buy our first 5th wheel. Are there any tips, immediate pitfalls anybody can warn us of, or advice you can offer? I truly appreciate any input, thanks!
lycialive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not own a fifth wheel but here are some generic things to consider.

Shop long enough to learn the real value of what you decide to purchase.

Make a really low offer when you decide to buy, they might clutch their heart but they will not sell it at a loss, so go ahead they can stand it. Do not be afraid to walk away, fall in love with this thing after you buy it.

Take a good look at the used market if you are so inclined it can save you a lot of money. I buy new but I see a lot of happy people who have bought used.

Floorplan is the most important thing, look long enough to get the feel for what is really most important to you and your lifestyle.

What are you going to tow it with, make sure it has enough beef, the fifth wheel is only half of the equation.

When you look at this rig make sure you check behind the ginger bread and look for quality in construction. Post here some of your choices and read what people on this website say about your choices before you narrow it down.

And have fun looking.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2.

While floor plan is a concern, you need an RV built by a reputable manufacturer that is know for quality. A lot of the entry level builders are only looking for the RV to last 5 to 10 years and after that it is a rotten mess of wet wood.
What price range and what kind of use are you considering?
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
What price range and what kind of use are you considering?

You need an idea of what you want to do, what you want to see, how many nights a year, etc etc. Then you need to match a truck capacity to a rig's weight. Oh ya, FLOORPLAN.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the great information, I truly appreciate the time spent helping me. I do have to consider the truck as well. I guess I have lots of looking to do.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #6

Also looking to buy a Fifth'er was looking real hard at the Montana High Country's (343RL)any info on them would be helpful.
gumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

All the above is good information. In addition I suggest you consider what type of Rving you intend to do. Like 2 or 3 times a year in a campground with hook-ups or are you going to dry camp out in the forest somewhere. Also are you camping only at certain times of the year, short trips or long trips etc. As most of us can attest to this will not be your only RV if you stay with it, so get a truck you will not outgrow (ie no 1/2 ton).

As stated price will drive what you get. You can buy RV's from $12K to $130K and everything in between. Do plenty of YOUR ONN research. Sure you should ask questions but verify the info yourself. Above all do not believe any salesperson regarding the truck or trailer.

Did I say do your own research! Take your time and look at at many 5ers as you can. Even the high end so you know what quality is. Most of us will tell you our rig is the best. It may be for us but you may be different.

Good Luck and enjoy the search.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #8

Gumpster,
Go to the Montana Forum, should get plenty of feedback there.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #9

Bailer, thanks so much for the information-especially about the truck. We're thinking about living year round in it, parked somewhere. I'm sure it'll be a hard adjustment at first, but both of us are looking forward to it. I'm interested in Truck ideas. My I ask what type of truck you have? Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #10

Bailer, thanks been to the Montana Forum not as much as you would think......
gumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycialive View Post
We're thinking about living year round in it, parked somewhere. I'm sure it'll be a hard adjustment at first, but both of us are looking forward to it. I'm interested in Truck ideas. My I ask what type of truck you have? Thanks again.
If you're looking at a more permanent site then you won't need a truck. I've talked to seasonal site owners that let the cg move and store the rig for them. They use a car / suv to get around. I'm sure you could have your new or new to you rig trucked in and setup.

We have 2011 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycialive View Post
Bailer, thanks so much for the information-especially about the truck. We're thinking about living year round in it, parked somewhere. I'm sure it'll be a hard adjustment at first, but both of us are looking forward to it. I'm interested in Truck ideas. My I ask what type of truck you have? Thanks again.
If you are planning to live in the rig full time, then read the fine print of the warranty very carefully before putting your name on the dotted line. Many manufacturers do not warranty their rigs for full timing. There are many terms used to disqualify your coverage, like residential living, year round occupancy, etc. Even if you are not on the road for all/part of the year, the mere fact that you are living in the rig full time could be used to void your warranty coverage.
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are going to full-time, you need to look at trailers from, DRV, New Horizions, Excel, HitchHiker, Carriage, Teton, King of the Road. Redwood (Thor) claims to be a full time unit, but after looking at a couple, they are not in the same class as the aforementioned.

Full-time 5ers also command the use of a big truck....a well equipped F350/3500 or possibly a F450/4500 to even a medium duty truck like a Freightliner FL60 or 70.

There is a lot of difference between a full time rig and a weekend/vacation rig.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #14

Buy a trailer that's a few years old and go camping. You will soon learn the ins and outs of 5th wheels. Within six months, or so, you will know exactly what you like and dislike with your rig and you will soon be shopping for the trailer of your dreams based on your real-time experience. That's what happened to us.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote