Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

Looking to convert to dual 6V

Looking to convert my 5er to dual 6V batteries running in series. My future plans involve installing a residential fridge and using an inverter to power it only when traveling. Not planning on boondocking at all.

Does anyone know of a battery box designed to hold 2 6V batteries?? I have searched but can't seem to find any.

Steve
4x4FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
JDT

Don't know of any boxes other than strapping 2 together or building something out of wood or metal. The box in ours is built in. We have 2 6 volt batteries and a 1000w pure sine wave inverter that runs our Samsung residential. I have the inverter wired thru a transfer switch that automatically switches to the inverter when we disconnect from shore power. A very handy thing to have. We can run the fridge all day on the inverter with no problems. It came with a modified sine wave inverter but I was more comfortable with a psw so I changed it out myself. I got the inverter and the transfer switch from www.donrowe.com. Lots of good info on that site about wiring requirements, etc.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

I bought mine at a local battery place that does batteries for all kinds of stuff - golf carts, fork lifts, etc., it is made of a non-reactive plastic and cost around a hundred bux. The lid had no fasteners, but I made some fasteners from the hardware store. I used welding cable for the interconnects for the size (amperage) and flexibility.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen some folks just use a plastic tot bin from Target or the like.

If you can find the right size it would be cheap enough.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4FF View Post
Looking to convert my 5er to dual 6V batteries running in series. My future plans involve installing a residential fridge and using an inverter to power it only when traveling. Not planning on boondocking at all.

Does anyone know of a battery box designed to hold 2 6V batteries?? I have searched but can't seem to find any.

Steve
I just did the conversion yesterday right after my NOCO dual battery box arrived. I got mine from All Battery Sales and Service - Everett Washington. They had two to choose from. The NOCO is excellent quality. I used a hole cutter to make a hole in the bottom and top and the next size up hole cutter to remove the chimney from oem box and glued to NOCO top from the inside. Nice big fasten nobs included and a fastener slot at each corner to secure it with.
I got a battery cable with a 3/8" ring on each end from Battery Stuff for the POS to NEG connection plus a 4' cable with an Anderson SB50 on the end for my Renogy 100w portable solar panel to connect to instead the the alligator clips.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

NOCO Dual Battery Box Install

One pic with top on and the other with the top off. The wire coming off the right side is the 4' cable with the Anderson SB50 connector for my Renogy solar panel so I don't have to remove the battery box lid to connect and get another couple feet of extension.
At the left edge of the 2nd photo, you can just see one of the lid knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140820_190513.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	71495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140820_190626.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	71496  

Old 08-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
One pic with top on and the other with the top off. The wire coming off the right side is the 4' cable with the Anderson SB50 connector for my Renogy solar panel so I don't have to remove the battery box lid to connect and get another couple feet of extension.
Dude, you hit the nail on the head!!!....That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link and picture.

Steve
Old 08-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

Nice install. Gives me some ideas.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #9

BTW, All Battery has quad 6-volt boxes in another brand. I was tempted to get one of those in case of a future upgrade, but the NOCO looks so much better and I didn't want to take up the storage space for something I may never do.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
I see you added a vent to the battery box, but does the lid have a gasket? If not, aren't you afraid the hydrogen gas might not all be vented and escape into the storage space? I see an electric motor above the batteries, and that could spell big trouble if there is a buildup of gas.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #11

I am interested in maybe a few more details on how you did the vent. It looks in the pictures like you did a fantastic job.

Steve
Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I see you added a vent to the battery box, but does the lid have a gasket? If not, aren't you afraid the hydrogen gas might not all be vented and escape into the storage space? I see an electric motor above the batteries, and that could spell big trouble if there is a buildup of gas.
The OEM box doesn't have a gasket either, plus it had holes for cables to pass through. That storage area has openings for the landing gear and into the propane tank areas on either side of it that should vent the compartment well.

Steve:
What I did was to use a hole saw to cut a hole in the top of the new lid in the same relative location as the OEM. Then I used the next size up hole saw to cut the chimney that the hose connected to out of the OEM lid so that part is bigger than the hole it will fit through. I applied adhesive to the ring around the chimney and pushed it through the new lid from underneath, then added more adhesive from the top to be sure I had a good seal. So there is a hole in the bottom of the new box that is matched to the hole in the compartment floor and in the lid just like the OEM box.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
The OEM box doesn't have a gasket either, plus it had holes for cables to pass through. That storage area has openings for the landing gear and into the propane tank areas on either side of it that should vent the compartment well...
Since hydrogen is lighter than air, so it should collect in the top of the box and escape through the top vent.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote