Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #1

Looking to fulltime, having issues with shower ceiling heights...

My wife and I would like to purchase a 5th wheel and start full timing in about a year. Being 6'4" tall, I have yet to see a model with the bedroom at the front where I can fit comfortably in the shower. Some I can't even fit under the ceiling, and others I do but it's so close that washing my hair would be a chore. I don't mind having to relocate or modify the shower head, but there's little I can do with ceiling height, and I refuse to have to stand IN the skylight so that I fit (as has been suggested to me by some dealers.)

Aside from this, a decent amount of counter space and a king size bed are what we are looking for. Toy haulers are also an option, though we don't need a lot of garage space so the smaller the better.

Right now the only model that seems to satisfy most of our conditions is the Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA which seems really nice, but we are unsure of the quality of it for full timing. I didn't see Jayco mentioned once in this thread. I looked at most of the manufacturers listed in that thread and none had a shower that wasn't in the front part of the trailer after traveling up some stairs which means I probably wouldn't fit.

Does anyone have some recommendations? Manufacturers to look at, possible alternatives to my heigh related issues (surgery is out, sorry), or any other input?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #2

I'm sorry, but you'll need to get out and climb into some showers.

I'm tall, but am used to dealing with low doors and ceilings in trailers. My new fifth wheel is tall compared with my old travel trailer shower.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #3

My best suggestion is to head out to the RV shows and step into as many trailers as you can. Have you looked at front living floor plans? With the bathroom to the mid to back of the trailer, the ceiling heights are likely to be higher and may fix your issue. I can't remember the bathrooms for sure, but I know at least one we were in recently had a very high ceiling in the bedroom (because we talked about that feature). I suspect that would have carried into the bathroom.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njtroy View Post
... Have you looked at front living floor plans? With the bathroom to the mid to back of the trailer, the ceiling heights are likely to be higher and may fix your issue. ...
I checked a front living room floor plan and yes the bathroom is on the lower level. Check out this Grand Design (just the first one I looked at): Solitude Fifth-Wheel Floor Plans | Grand Design RV

I am only 6'2" and I have issues with the doorway heights and bedroom ceilings on some of the fifth wheel we have seen so far.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

It may just be my opinion but the skylight in the bathroom is not there to provide light. It's there for us taller individuals. I suspect finding a shower without the need for standing under or in the skylight will be most frustrating. Good luck.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #6

Be sure you are looking at full height fivers (13' and some) vs mid-profile (~12'). In the Grand Design line, the Solitude is full height and Reflection is mid-profile. Of course the front living room models should work in either case.
I have seen the Jayco Pinnacle listed as a full-time unit in Trailer Life, but believe it is a middle of the road unit (costs less).
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njtroy View Post
My best suggestion is to head out to the RV shows and step into as many trailers as you can. Have you looked at front living floor plans? With the bathroom to the mid to back of the trailer, the ceiling heights are likely to be higher and may fix your issue. I can't remember the bathrooms for sure, but I know at least one we were in recently had a very high ceiling in the bedroom (because we talked about that feature). I suspect that would have carried into the bathroom.
Since we have time, we definitely plan on heading to some shows and dealers, and front living room units seem to be the style we are going to need. I have yet to see a front bedroom unit with enough height in the shower, even if it was a full profile trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Barb View Post
I checked a front living room floor plan and yes the bathroom is on the lower level. Check out this Grand Design (just the first one I looked at): Solitude Fifth-Wheel Floor Plans | Grand Design RV

I am only 6'2" and I have issues with the doorway heights and bedroom ceilings on some of the fifth wheel we have seen so far.
Good find, I'll definitely try and see one of these units in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
It may just be my opinion but the skylight in the bathroom is not there to provide light. It's there for us taller individuals. I suspect finding a shower without the need for standing under or in the skylight will be most frustrating. Good luck.
I agree with the skylight theory, however it's pretty crappy to have to put your head in one when showering. If the manufacturers would just put the shower more towards the middle of the unit instead of the outside most of the time it wouldn't be an issue based on what I've seen.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 PM   #8

Saw the solitude 379fl I think. $70k, it was unbelievable. We are going back this weekend to compare it and the sanibel. I am concerned about how new grand design is a an Rv mfgr. But the product blew us out of the water.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #9

6' 4" is good for basketball but really will be difficult to feel comfortable in any camper. I am much shorter and find space cramped. Good luck...
Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

I am 6'5 and i fit well in my shower without the skylight. If you are looking at older 5th wheels look at a newmar. I have a kountry aire and like i say i fit.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
What Tom said.

Go stand in the shower of every brand you find at dealers and shows.

See what works best for you - and/or what you are willing to sacrifice to have (maybe) the one and only brand with what you want.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #12

The jayco 38flsa will take a 10 foot tall person. It is very good quality for full time living

Tags
ceiling, fulltime, shower