Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 AM   #1

Question Looking to go FT. What 5th to buy?

Hi all,
We have decided to sell our MH and buy a 5er to go full time. Since I only have knowledge with MH's I thought I'd ask you. We will be buying a used one 2004 - 2008 and have around $30k to spend. There are so many different models out there so how do you know if it's a 4 season one?

We are buying a diesel dually so size shouldn't be a problem but what size is "too" big and what is "too" small? I know to buy the floor plan you like the best but I don't want to waste a lot of $$ on a poor unit or one where the slides have to be all out to use. Maybe which ones should I stay away from would be a better list.

Also, a dual or triple axle? I think the triple one is a Moreride? which I have on my coach now. What should I look out for / stay away from?

Thanks for all replies.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #2

Hi,
In my humble opinion you are going to get a lot of advice with this loaded question. So I will only offer you my honest opinion and provide you a link to a web site called, RV consumer reviews. This is a non-profit organization that is not supported by the RV manufactures. I used this site to help determine what I wanted to buy for my needs. http://www.jrconsumer.com/
Now for a tow vehicle. I would look at this site for proper sizing of RV and tow vehicle. Here is a link http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicle-sizing.shtml
With this information you should be able to make an informed decision.

BTW, I will only pull with a RAM that has a Cummins engine in it. If you watch on the road this is what must RV hot shoters use to tow with. Also the engine is rated to go 350,000 miles before rebuild.
Jim W.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #3

Also keep in mind the difference between backing up. My father has a MH and we have backed it into my yard many times. When I got my 5er he is telling me to 'turn turn', I tell him 'I'm all the way'. His answer was 'hmmmm, turns a bit different than I am use to.'
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #4

When you say you are going to buy a diesel dually I hope you mean at least a 350 or 3500. My 5'er is just 30' but weighs 15,000 lbs. My 3500 is at max. load. Buy or deceide what 5'er first then buy the truck size to pull it. The engine really does not matter but the brake sizes are very important.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg
Hi all,
We have decided to sell our MH and buy a 5er to go full time. Since I only have knowledge with MH's I thought I'd ask you. We will be buying a used one 2004 - 2008 and have around $30k to spend. There are so many different models out there so how do you know if it's a 4 season one?

We are buying a diesel dually so size shouldn't be a problem but what size is "too" big and what is "too" small? I know to buy the floor plan you like the best but I don't want to waste a lot of $$ on a poor unit or one where the slides have to be all out to use. Maybe which ones should I stay away from would be a better list.

Also, a dual or triple axle? I think the triple one is a Moreride? which I have on my coach now. What should I look out for / stay away from?

Thanks for all replies.
My wife and I sold our house and almost everything extra and bought a truck and 5th wheel a little over 3 years ago and we are loving every minute of it and only wish that we had done it 10 years sooner.
One thing we have learned and my advice to you because of it is to get the biggest unit you can for the money you intend to spend. There is no substitute for cubic feet of storage and as almost any full timer will tell you storage is important.
When we bought ours we had a list of things we wanted and would not settle without and they were: washer/dryer ( not one of those that do both but separate units), minimum queen sized bed, generator, big refrigerator/freezer, as many slide outs as possible (makes for more room) and dual air conditioners. There were other things we added on later such as the biggest solar panels we could fit on the roof, satellite tv, bigger tv in the unit (we now have a home theatre as good as we had in our stick&brick house).
As far as a truck to pull your unit - you do not have to get a dually - we got a 09 F350 diesel with the towing package and 20 inch wheels and even though our 5th is close to 40 feet long and heavy the F350 just pulls it along with a problem.
As a previous poster wrote...you will get lots of input and I suggest you weigh each and every poster's message equally but in the end you and your wife need to feel extremely comfortable and happy in it as this is a big decision.
Finally - been though the company is out of business (as are a great many others) Titon made a great full timing unit - pricey but great should be considered.
Good luck and I hope you and your wife enjoy full timing as much as my wife and I do.
Captain Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the links on reviews. I used to drive semi so I can put that trailer anywhere you need it to be. I'll be buying a 3500 for sure either a Ford 7.3 or Dodge 5.9.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I have a MH, but the 5th wheel we had before was a Montana. If I ever go back to a 5th wheel it will be a Montana. We had a 36' with 3 slides and full timed for 7 months. IMHO, they built a great unit in 2001, and from what I hear they still do. Also, a previous poster mentioned the CADILLAC of 5th wheels, Teton, I believe they are back in business, but unless they've changed the construction of them you'll need a semi to haul them. They are the best built unit going and are fantastic inside. Did I say I like them??
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Commercial Member

I HAVE A 2002, F350 4X4 DUALY AND PAID OVER $ 13,000 DOLLARS FEB. OF THIS YEAR. ALSO OWN A 2004 36KT3 MOBILE SUITE 3 - SLIDES AND LOVEEEEE IT. IT IS A FOUR SEASON. I BOUGHT THIS RV IN 2008 AND PAID OVER $ 38,000.00 DOLLARS FOR IT. YOU MAY HAVE TO RETHINK YOUR OUT OF POCKET COST TO FIND A GOOD COMBINATION TRUCK AND RV. THE RV I PURCHASED WAS FOUR YEARS OLD, BUT WAS NOT USED FOR TWO YEARS AND AN ELDERLY COUPLE OWNED IT. I THINK I MADE A GOOD DEAL ON BOTH VEHICLES. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
NuWa, the manufacturer of Hitchhiker fifth wheels, recently got into factory direct sales of both new and used units. They apparently do a very thorough reconditioning of the better units that they take in on trade. Here's a link to their used inventory.

They're located in Chanute, KS which is a long way from SW FL, but the website is worth a look.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #10

Finally bought one. We looked at many different models and the DW picked out 2. One was the Montana with 2 slides and the other the Forest River with 3. The guy selling the Forest River was in foreclosure on his home and needed the cash to save it. We wound up buying it for $5,000 under low retail because he had it on the market for 6 months and no takers. The new to us F-350 diesel/dually pulled it home like it wasn't even there and showed 14.2 mpg on the interstate doing 65! The truck has a banks inner cooler and high rise intake with a cat back 5" exhaust so it stays cool and can breath. The PO set it up to tow and be reliable. I'm getting 16 - 18 mpg around town with it. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the advice.

P.S. total cost : $12,800 for the truck and $12,500 for the 5th wheel....