Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Looking to purchase used RV and have questions

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help with my (hopefully) upcoming purchase.

My wife fell in love with a used 2006 Cedar Creek 36RLTS. As a result we will soon be new RVers. I've posted a couple of times already and really appreciate the help everyone has given me. Honestly, for a novice, I cannot imagine doing this pre internet and pre IRV2!

Anyway, the unit we will be purchasing has the original tires. I've talked to the dealer and they will be replacing them (the 4 on the ground)

They have offered Yokohama LT235R16 as replacement tires. In previous posts folks have recommended I go with Michelin, Bridgestone and I think BF Goodrich. What do you think about the Yokohama's? I asked if they were steel belted and the dealer told me yes. He didn't give me a model number of the tires, but I will see him tomorrow and can get it then. He indicated that if I had a specific brand he would allow me $560 toward the other tires. I asked if they would replace the spare (which is brand new, never been used and probably stuck in place under the unit... the labels are still on the tread) but they said no. My feeling is that I need a tire I can trust as a spare and need to replace it.

He also said that he would replace the current battery with an Interstate RV Deep Cycle Battery (12v) and would provide an additional one for $70.

I talked to him about putting in new bushings and he agreed to do that and will examine the bearings and if needed, replace them as well. Of course the bearings will be repacked.

I didn't notice a TV in my first walk around... and he informed me that the folks who traded it in did not leave it. It does have the surround sound entertainment option which had a 27" flat screen when new, but that's not there now. I asked about how many air conditioning units there were, and he told me one.

As I said, I'm going over tomorrow and will look the unit over again as thoroughly as an inexperienced person can. I'll leave him a small deposit (which is refundable) in order to make sure no one else purchases it while I continue to research and consider what my final offer will be.

He is asking $23,900. Nada ranges from 18,900 to 22,800. I'm thinking of offering 20,000 or 21,000.

Do you think that would be fair with the other replacements? Is there anything else I should be looking at closely?

Thanks,
Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraman View Post
They have offered Yokohama LT235R16 as replacement tires. In previous posts folks have recommended I go with Michelin, Bridgestone and I think BF Goodrich. What do you think about the Yokohama's? I asked if they were steel belted and the dealer told me yes.
The Michelin XPS Ribs aren't just steel-belted. They are all-steel construction - carcass and belts. There's a HUGE difference compared to a fabric and steel tire (fabric carcass and steel belts).

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #3

May be too late but check the roof condition. I did not and it is an expensive fix. And no tires not made in the USA. Foreign tires made to different standard that I sadly found out after shredding a less than one year old Chinese POS.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help with my (hopefully) upcoming purchase.

My wife fell in love with a used 2006 Cedar Creek 36RLTS. As a result we will soon be new RVers. I've posted a couple of times already and really appreciate the help everyone has given me. Honestly, for a novice, I cannot imagine doing this pre internet and pre IRV2!

Anyway, the unit we will be purchasing has the original tires. I've talked to the dealer and they will be replacing them (the 4 on the ground)

They have offered Yokohama LT235R16 as replacement tires. In previous posts folks have recommended I go with Michelin, Bridgestone and I think BF Goodrich. What do you think about the Yokohama's? I asked if they were steel belted and the dealer told me yes. He didn't give me a model number of the tires, but I will see him tomorrow and can get it then. He indicated that if I had a specific brand he would allow me $560 toward the other tires. I asked if they would replace the spare (which is brand new, never been used and probably stuck in place under the unit... the labels are still on the tread) but they said no. My feeling is that I need a tire I can trust as a spare and need to replace it.

He also said that he would replace the current battery with an Interstate RV Deep Cycle Battery (12v) and would provide an additional one for $70.

I talked to him about putting in new bushings and he agreed to do that and will examine the bearings and if needed, replace them as well. Of course the bearings will be repacked.

I didn't notice a TV in my first walk around... and he informed me that the folks who traded it in did not leave it. It does have the surround sound entertainment option which had a 27" flat screen when new, but that's not there now. I asked about how many air conditioning units there were, and he told me one.

As I said, I'm going over tomorrow and will look the unit over again as thoroughly as an inexperienced person can. I'll leave him a small deposit (which is refundable) in order to make sure no one else purchases it while I continue to research and consider what my final offer will be.

He is asking $23,900. Nada ranges from 18,900 to 22,800. I'm thinking of offering 20,000 or 21,000.

Do you think that would be fair with the other replacements? Is there anything else I should be looking at closely?

Thanks,
Rick
If money is the main issue, offer $16,500 as is. Then get all work done where you want at a price you want to pay. You will have plenty of room for repair costs. $23,900 minus $16,500 gives you $7,400 to work with. You also will be assured you get the work done by people you trust. The selling dealer is not always the best place in the area, he is trying to move a unit at a profit.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Thanks Rusty for explaining the difference between the Yokos and the Michelin's.

Greytraveler, I will definitely be getting on the roof and checking it. Nothing is set in stone yet. DW loves the layout... there are others out there... and we aren't planning to go anywhere with it till February at the earliest.

T55Watson, I've heard good things about the dealership from others in the area... and it is a recommended dealership on the Ceder Creek owners club... so I'd like to keep it there. But I will be rethink what I am offering to include the cost of the tires, batteries and TV.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #6

Regardless of what tires you get, I would recommend you get them balanced and metal stems installed. Unless you ride inside your 5th wheel, you have no idea how much tire vibration occurs at highway speed.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

When we get our new (used) rig I am seriously considering TPS. We had a tire shred on our last trip and we had no clue until someone passed us shouting the warning. Ouch.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the input Road Dogs and Greytraveler. I'll be sure to have them balanced and get the metal stems... wouldn't have thought of those.

I have considered TPMS... and I guess this would be the best time to get them.

One other question. The tires on the unit are E rated tires now... LT235/85R16. I looked at a different unit today with G rated tires... but don't remember the size (16 or 17") I thought I might consider going up in rating for a larger safety margin? but when I checked the Michelin inflation tables I didn't see any 16" tires with a higher rating. Did I just not look at the right tires? Or if I want to go to a higher rating, will I then need to get new wheels as well?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The Michelin XPS Ribs are a load range E tire rated (in the most common LT235/85R-16 size) 3042 lbs at 80 PSIG. A load range G tire of the same size such as the Goodyear G614 RST will be rated 3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG. Therefore, if your wheels aren't rated for 110 PSIG and 3750 lbs load, you'll need to upgrade wheels to take advantage of the load range G tires' load rating. If that's the case, if you have 8-lug wheels, since you'll be purchasing wheels and tires anyway, why not go ahead and upgrade to 17.5" wheels and 215/75R-17.5 load range H/J tires rated 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG? These tires are 1/2" smaller in diameter than a 235/85R-16 so will fit wherever the 235/85R-16 fits.

If it were me and I were having to upgrade both wheels and tires, I wouldn't stop at the load range G 16" but would rather have all the reserve capacity reasonably possible. I'm running the all steel construction 17.5" Michelin XTA trailer-specific tires on our current 5th wheel and have never had a problem with them in over 3 years of service. They run so cool you can put your hand on the tread even after pulling off the Interstate on a 105 degF West Texas summer day.

Rusty
Old 10-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

Hi Rick,
Donn again. As for tires, I have not heard about anyone running the Yokohamas, but being an LT tire they should be fine. TPMS? I don't have one. But then again I watch my tires and have never had a flat. It is nice to have, but absolute necessary. I would practically guarantee that is the original roof. With a 12 year warranty it should have several years of life left in it Especially if the PO has kept care of it regularly.
Actually the TV originally installed should have been a 20 inch CRT. With some careful measurements, I changed mine to a 25 inch and now a 32 inch Samsung. To make that size work I have had to sit the TV outside the cabinet. And it does jut out into the aisle a bit, but no big deal for us. It does sit in the TV area on an angle for travel and works quite well.
Wont comment on prices, as that is really a regional thing. Personally I would not take less than 30K for my Creek and it is a year older than the one your looking at. But I have also added a LOT to the base trailer.
Let us know how things go and if you get it.
BTW did you decide on a truck yet?
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #11

Rusty, thanks for the great info on the tires and wheels. I'll be pricing all that out... and, like you, I tend to overdo anything having to do with my safety!

Donn, I did decide on a truck. Have ordered a new Ford F350, dually, 4x4 crew cab long box. I told DW that since we needed to buy a new vehicle, I was going to buy the most capacity for towing / carrying as I reasonably could so that if we decide to make a change in the RV in a few years the vehicle wouldn't be an issue.

I also put down a small deposit (fully refundable)to hold the unit for the next 5 days or so while I work out various offers.

I went through the unit testing everything I could yesterday and found a few minor issues that I think are general wear and tear... nothing major. Of course I couldn't check the major systems yet because it is winterized and didn't have a battery... but I could find no indication that there were ever any leaks or repairs from accidents, etc.

I'll probably make an offer on Monday and see where that takes us.

On the TPMS subject, I spoke with Mary at Truck System Technologies (TST) about their 507 series system. Ford deletes the standard TPMS system on their duallies. So I'm thinking of putting this system on to monitor both the truck and trailer tires. Will probably look for a thread on this and if I can't find one, I'll start a new one to ask for any info.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help with my (hopefully) upcoming purchase. My wife fell in love with a used 2006 Cedar Creek 36RLTS. As a result we will soon be new RVers. I've posted a couple of times already and really appreciate the help everyone has given me. Honestly, for a novice, I cannot imagine doing this pre internet and pre IRV2! Anyway, the unit we will be purchasing has the original tires. I've talked to the dealer and they will be replacing them (the 4 on the ground) They have offered Yokohama LT235R16 as replacement tires. In previous posts folks have recommended I go with Michelin, Bridgestone and I think BF Goodrich. What do you think about the Yokohama's? I asked if they were steel belted and the dealer told me yes. He didn't give me a model number of the tires, but I will see him tomorrow and can get it then. He indicated that if I had a specific brand he would allow me $560 toward the other tires. I asked if they would replace the spare (which is brand new, never been used and probably stuck in place under the unit... the labels are still on the tread) but they said no. My feeling is that I need a tire I can trust as a spare and need to replace it. He also said that he would replace the current battery with an Interstate RV Deep Cycle Battery (12v) and would provide an additional one for $70. I talked to him about putting in new bushings and he agreed to do that and will examine the bearings and if needed, replace them as well. Of course the bearings will be repacked. I didn't notice a TV in my first walk around... and he informed me that the folks who traded it in did not leave it. It does have the surround sound entertainment option which had a 27" flat screen when new, but that's not there now. I asked about how many air conditioning units there were, and he told me one. As I said, I'm going over tomorrow and will look the unit over again as thoroughly as an inexperienced person can. I'll leave him a small deposit (which is refundable) in order to make sure no one else purchases it while I continue to research and consider what my final offer will be. He is asking $23,900. Nada ranges from 18,900 to 22,800. I'm thinking of offering 20,000 or 21,000. Do you think that would be fair with the other replacements? Is there anything else I should be looking at closely? Thanks, Rick
One air conditioning unit would be a deal breaker for me, but I live in Texas. Still something to think about. Personally I would only get a 50 amp unit with two air conditioners.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Regarding the one (1) A/C unit, see if the RV is wired for 50 amp service. If it is, and if there's a roof vent in the bedroom, typically the wiring for a 2nd A/C is already in place behind the roof vent trim. It's a matter of removing the roof vent and dropping in the 2nd A/C. On the other hand, if it's only a 30 amp service rig, then you really aren't going to be able to handle a 2nd A/C unless you run a separate service for the 2nd A/C. or convert to 50 amp service.

Rusty
Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #14

It seems the dealer is treating you well. Yokohama tires should be fine, but upgrading is always better. Battery price is about right, getting them to wire it correctly is good. TVs are relatively cheap--I replaced my 32" Sony boat anchor with a 32" Vizio LCD----tons better to watch, and much lighter. But getting everything to work together is something you should spend time with the dealer on--and you can't check things without the TV in there. Visual/audio systems on any trailer can be a nightmare unless you are good at how they work--lots of threads on many RV forums about hookup problems.

NADA values are pretty useless--and I guarantee that is not what the dealer is going by. Check out similar units at RVTraderonline.com and PPLMotorhomes.com to see others are going for.

Rusty has a world of experience and always offers good advice. The spare is 7 years old now, so trusting it is a crapshoot. Pay the extra to get a matching tire at the same time.

Sounds like your RVing future is coming together...

Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase