Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Best cure for electric brakes is to upgrade to disc. About $1500 if you can do it yourself. Best thing you can do after tires.
Seems like a bit of overkill for a loose wire issue.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #16

Just did the disc brake thing here at home......and it still needs the brake sensing wire from cab controller.....the Titan wiring setups are made for bumper pulls, so I had to get creative with their loom in a 5th wheel without leaving the wiring out in open...into finished installation $1100.00
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #17

Had same problem, was a short, wire grounded out, of one of the wires. Check it out.
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #18

My solution was exactly the same as xrated above except I used one of the flexible gear ties. I stretch it around the plug and weatherproof door and twist it tight. It drove me crazy until I figured it out.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Best cure for electric brakes is to upgrade to disc. About $1500 if you can do it yourself. Best thing you can do after tires.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:08 PM   #20

Brake problem seems to be fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Ever figure out what caused the brake to go south?
The RV tech found a frayed wire in the pin box and replaced it. I also sprayed all electrical connections and plugs. I just drove 350 miles with no brake problem. Guess I should replace all wires from the pin box when I get home. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Doo Woper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #21

Good deal, thanks for the update!
Safe trails.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #22

Finally the service tech conquered, I hope, my intermittent losing trailer brake problem. He found a problem with the number 7 wire that controls trailer brakes. I ran it around after he replaced the entire wire harness and didn't have a problem again, or so far. He is confident that was the problem. Sure hope he's right because im leavings for a cross country trip and the hills in West Virginia can be a problem without trailer brakes.
Doo Woper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, trailer