Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Lost our spare tire

Bill was working on the 5vr today getting ready for the Williams AZ rally and noticed our spare tire was gone. It is stored under the rig and you don't think of looking for it until you need it.

We went to Florida for the month of March so I think it is somewhere on I-95. The roads are so bumpy that over time the attaching cable began to fray and now we need a new tire and rim.

Word to the wise - check the spare and attaching hardware.

Nancy

ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:

Nancy
Yes it is very good advice for everyone, unless the spare is in an enclosed area. I almost lost mine and it is mounted like older "C"'s on the back bumper. The upright member which the spare wheel is attached to cracked from flexing (vibration whatever). I wouldn't normally have noticed it if I hadn't bumped into it and it moved like it was mounted on rubber post. I welded re enforcement pieces and lowered the mounting bolt. It's been solid since.
I guess I should have posted about that but no one else seemed to be having problems.
Anyway you've made us all aware of future problems Good for you
Cheers
Willey

WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditched my continental kit a long time ago because of the destructive wobble!!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we had one almost stolen from under our class C while in storage. Apparently they got interrupted and left. At least they left my nuts and bolts there. After that I locked it.

Ken
Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some spares have come down all of a sudden on certain pick-ups causing all kinds of traffic disruptions!! Not to mention the up-lifting experience and loss of control!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Should be checked on a regular basis. Anything that can come off a vehicle at highway speed can become a lethal projectile. Case in point driving through New York city we saw the aftermath of a tire that had fallen off a vehicle and ended up going through the windshield of an oncoming car across the meridian. The outcome was not pleasant.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #7

My spare, with a cable lift has a habit of loosening once in a while, like when it's air pressure drops 10 pounds.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Always a possibility that someone helped themselves to your spare. A few years ago in our area pickup trucks with the hanging spare were loosing them quickly unless they had a lock on them.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
TandW

I should have know to be checking because our truck spare did drop off, on a very busy road in Virginia Beach several years ago. It scared us to death as it bounced up into the bottom of the truck. We were lucky as we did not lose the tire and no one got hurt.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Some spares have come down all of a sudden on certain pick-ups
Pickups and SUVs ...some (don't recall which) have had recalls due to the likelihood of the cable rusting in two and releasing the spare tire onto the roadway.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My first coach, a Southwind had a home made holder on the back bumper to hold the spare. One day I bumped into it and saw that it was loose. I took the spare off, with some help and saw that the bracket was cracked at the weld. Well I told myself, "Self, that might be a sign." I could just envision going down the interstate at sixty and that thing fell off and go bouncing along in traffic. The only time I re installed it was when I drove it to trade it in. I have found that if I have a flat or ruin a tire, I can always get one on the road.

w
Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncason View Post
Bill was working on the 5vr today getting ready for the Williams AZ rally and noticed our spare tire was gone. It is stored under the rig and you don't think of looking for it until you need it.

We went to Florida for the month of March so I think it is somewhere on I-95. The roads are so bumpy that over time the attaching cable began to fray and now we need a new tire and rim.

Nancy
that would have been one big gator to avoid,
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should be checking your spare at least at the start of the season if for no other reason to put air in it. I checked mine and it only had about 20# of air in it. It hsould have at least 65# because to be able to use it as a spare it has to be able to hold the trailer up.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Think of the poor schmuck that found it for you!!!!! With a lil luck it slid off the roadway and into the woods.

steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote