Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a ceramic heater running and during the night it went out....I should say the outlet and two adjacent lights in the living room slide went out.
I've reset the GFI, the breakers, checked all the fuses and still no juice nor lights on the two in the slide.
Now where should I look?
I even pulled the outlet out of the wall to see if it fryed; but it looks good.

Sorry I somehow got this in the wrong forum....Can a moderator move it to 5ver area?

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had a ceramic heater running and during the night it went out....I should say the outlet and two adjacent lights in the living room slide went out.
I've reset the GFI, the breakers, checked all the fuses and still no juice nor lights on the two in the slide.
Now where should I look?

Sorry I somehow got this in the wrong forum....Can a moderator move it to 5ver area?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by woodburner:
Now where should I look?

Sorry I somehow got this in the wrong forum....Can a moderator move it to 5ver area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are comfortable working in a service panel I would start by verifying that there is power coming out of the breaker. It may be in the reset position but may have failed. If there is power coming out of the breaker then verify that there is power going into and coming out of the GFI.

Regards,

Neil
Old 05-09-2006, 03:04 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry I somehow got this in the wrong forum....Can a moderator move it to 5ver area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:35 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
The GFCI breaker/outlet may have gotten fried. You might try replacing the one that affects the outlet not working, if you know which one it is. I had a GFCI outlet go bad and it shut down all of the outlets on its circuit.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:24 AM   #6

woodburner, I dunno about your 5er, but in my coach, there's three different GFIs, for three separate circuits. Some GFIs are looped into a circuit from another room, so the moral of the story is to check 'em all. Test to click, then reset each. Same goes for the 120v breakers; throw each of them completely back off, then back on on. Sometimes a tripped breaker looks like it's still on, but you wouldn't know until you reset it.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #7

Ditto what troth said.

I had the same experience and found a GFI outlet that was 'hidden' that was in the circuit. Look under and around all the walls, cabinets, etc.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:37 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
cedar creek does that to
the bathroom gfci also runs the outlets at the back of the coach, took us a few to find that one
and some dummy wred the water heater and fridge on the same circuit, needless to say, you cant run the vacum off that outlet
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the responces; I have tried a few that have been mentioned but will try the rest until this is resolved....I found 1 GFCI in the bathroom area and pulled it to see if it fried, but it looked good. I tripped all the circuit breakers off then on again just to make sure I had tripped the one in question...every other outlet in the coach works as do all the other lights and appliances. The slide is fed by one circuit (at least all I can see) under the slide which is held in place by a couple ties and a spring to keep it out of the way...the opposing outlet and light on the same slide stll work.
I'll keep pluggin at it....Thanks again!

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 05-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #10

Woodburner,
In your most recent post, you commented that "I'll just keep pluggin at it..." That could be your answer!

Is the power to the outlets on your slide "hard-wired" to the coach, or is there a plug/socket arrangement where the slide wiring plugs into the coach wiring? Just another thought to help you find the problem.

Best wishes,

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:02 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Paul: I believe it's hardwired but will look into that possibility as well. The slide is fed through a wire group in a flex conduit to the outermost edge of the slide. There is one light and one outlet that is still working on the slide which leaves me to believe I either have a lost connection or a fried wire between each outlet.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 05-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If your slide is like mine then there is only 1 wire feeding all the 120v power to the slide. If some of the slide fittings work, then the problem is between one of the fixtures that works (light or plug) and one that doesn't. Most likely it's at one that works.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Just because a GFCI outlet looks OK does not mean it works! Did you check the power at all GFCI outlets? Is the power passing thru as expected?
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:14 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RKamperRV:
Just because a GFCI outlet looks OK does not mean it works! Did you check the power at all GFCI outlets? Is the power passing thru as expected? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes the power is going through; That was the first thing I looked at. ALL the other outlets and lights and appliances work just fine.
This has been helpful eliminating the possibilities,,,,I'm guessing I have a lost connection/ fried wire midway between the outlets on the slide.
I'll keep yas posted.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport