Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Question Low Power Lines

What is the rule for hight of power lines on side and dead end roads? Got my new 5th wheel on Thursday and took it to a local campground for a shake down. Went to bring it home today and can't get it down the street. There is only two ways in to my house one road has so many sharp turns that with my 20' car trailer when i make some of the curves my truck is in one ditch and the trailer is in the other and bottomed out.

So I came up the road today to bring it home and could not fit under a power line that is 12' at one shoulder and 10'4" at the other side. The pole on one side of the street is down the hill so it is at the top of the pole It is the power going to a new house was just put in in the last month. Talked to another person 2 houses down from me and said that he not able to get his 5er out.

The Power Co told me that it is not there poles or wire as it was put up by the land owner he has land on each side of the street. The street is a local dead end road not state or county.

I was bringing the trailer home just put in a full RV port for our new trailer. If it wasn't that I was watching for low trees I would have hit the new trailer. I had thought it was trees that my antenna was hitting.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ouch. It sounds like these lines pass over a private road? Is there an easement for the road spelled out in the deeds of properties that use the road?

Seems to me that the new owner who stretched the power line across the road from one of his properties to the other should be responsible to ensure that line is safe for others who use it and 12' clearance doesn't seem safe to me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I know that at one time the State Statutes of CT and MA stated that overhead utility lines must hang 14' or higher above any public way. I believe each state has it's own similar statute. I searched for the NC statute but was unable to find it. During my search I came across Duke Energy's Builders' and Contrators' Guide for Electric Service which on page 13 states their own recommendation of 20' clearance above Driveways, Parking Lots and Alleys for the states of North Carolina and South Carolina. It also notes that National Electrical Safety Code and DOT require 16' of clearance above Driveways, Parking Lots and Alleys and 18' of clearance above Roads, Streets and Other Areas Subject to Truck Traffic for the State of North Carolina per DOT Requirements. There is also a note that states,

"NOTE: If the attachment point height cannot be obtained
from the ground directly above the meter box, then the
customer should provide an attachment point by installing a
properly secured galvanized steel mast."

I hope this is helpful.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #4

In Wyoming the power lines are all under ground up around the Big Horn Mountains and Sheridan. I believe it is state wide also, due to the winds. No low hanging power line to worry about for Rving.
Good luck with your power line problems.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Went to talk to the owner of the land. He told me that he bought the small lot across the street so that he could put up the pole as the underground lines are across the street. I told him that I could not get my RV home and my truck ant hit the wire. He told me that the pols are on his land he could do what ever he wants it is my problem and get the F off his land.

I then went to Town Hall to talk to License and inspection. I told them about the low wires. He told me he would check into it. When I told him my truck ant hit he asked how high it was. When I told him it was 10'4" he call the field inspector to meet us there.

The inspector looked at the wires talked to the land owner. That did not go well. Called a township truck that came out and cut the lines across the road. Told him he has to have the lines run under the road He yelled that he is going to fight it. All the other houses on the road are underground.

P.S. He is moving here from NY. I dont think I will be invited to his open house.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I love it when the good guys win in the end.

Hearing these stories about bad neighbors really makes me appreciate the ones we have.

Good job.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

:The solution brought a smile to my face. Glad it worked out for you. Wouldn't worry about the invite, probably not the type of person you want to socialize with anyway.
washbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #8

Great news, glad it worked out the way it did. Great job. I don't think i would worry about the neighbor's open house.
Happy trails
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Yay! So glad this is all working out for you and the other neighbor. Sounds like he's going to have a rough time in the neighborhood if he continues to live in a NY state of mind! The great news is one less party to go to, one more RV trip you can take that weekend!
docnprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
YC1

First, are you positive it is power and not cable or phones lines. If just one line it is probably that. And if so is there slack in the line? If phone lines etc and there is slack you can prop them up while getting under for the time until they do something.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
See post #5. They did something!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I love the outcome of this. Having lived in rural upstate NY at one time, I don't believe he could have gotten away with that up there either. Glad it worked out in your favor.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
I would keep a close eye on your property. He sounds like the kinda guy who would try to get you back for getting his lines cut. He can easily locate you since he knows your TV & 5'er. Some trail cams or a CCTV system may be in order. I use a security cam system and you would be surprised at how well and how far you can see at night.
CampingFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Went to talk to the owner of the land. He told me that he bought the small lot across the street so that he could put up the pole as the underground lines are across the street. I told him that I could not get my RV home and my truck ant hit the wire. He told me that the pols are on his land he could do what ever he wants it is my problem and get the F off his land.

I then went to Town Hall to talk to License and inspection. I told them about the low wires. He told me he would check into it. When I told him my truck ant hit he asked how high it was. When I told him it was 10'4" he call the field inspector to meet us there.

The inspector looked at the wires talked to the land owner. That did not go well. Called a township truck that came out and cut the lines across the road. Told him he has to have the lines run under the road He yelled that he is going to fight it. All the other houses on the road are underground.

P.S. He is moving here from NY. I dont think I will be invited to his open house.
I do not understand how he had the money to buy the lot across the street specifically to erect a pole but he did not have the money to do it right and run it under the road. Theren are boring machines that can run a line under the road without cutting the surface. This world would be a nice place to live if it wasn't for all the people :-)
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power