Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #15

Update on Low Water Pressure

It appears we solved the issue with the city water side of the camper. The hose is or is similar to PEX. It has brass fittings that have to restrict the flow somewhat.
We ran and ran and ran the water while hooked up to our hose bib at home. We would get some reddish water when we first turned on a faucet. Finally the pressure started to increase and increase. I believe we had a mineral build up somewhere, I'm guessing the fitting(s). e
I am still having an issue when using the water pump. It seems like we are getting air in the system. I have a Flojet 04406 water pump. It has push in locking adaptors with O-Rings. I will try to replace the O-Rings and see if that helps. Also, I notice the filter, with a clear cover, on the inlet side does not completely fill up with water. I thought this might be due to air getting into the system.
I do not believe the previous owners used this system much if at all. So, maybe the pump needs replaced due to lack of use.
I welcome and appreciate any additional thoughts.
Thank you all !!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
You could try using a bit of vinegar in the plumbing to help remove deposits. I'd use about a 50% mix, let it sit a few hours in the lines, then flush.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunbar50 View Post
We would get some reddish water when we first turned on a faucet.
This is rust. You should look closely for a steel fitting or nipple somewhere.

Bruce
Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #18

Valves on or around the water heater are on or off valves, they are bypass valves, not mixing valves. The bypass function is to be used when winterizing.
Mixing is to be done at the end use.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey47 View Post
Valves on or around the water heater are on or off valves, they are bypass valves, not mixing valves. The bypass function is to be used when winterizing.
Mixing is to be done at the end use.
Sorry, but here is the picture of our MIXING valve removed from the rear of the water heater.[/URL][/IMG]

Solved our low water pressure problem.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #20

Apparently, like myself, a lot of us have never encountered this type valve--did it have both hot and cold in, and one out? And is there a turning handle to adjust flow from either input under the red cover? I can think of no reason to have to mix both hot and cold prior to the point of use (faucet).
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Apparently, like myself, a lot of us have never encountered this type valve--did it have both hot and cold in, and one out? And is there a turning handle to adjust flow from either input under the red cover? I can think of no reason to have to mix both hot and cold prior to the point of use (faucet).
Joe
The 'red cover' is a knob to adjust temperature. Since most RV water heaters create VERY hot water, a little goes a long way. Scalding could be an issue, especially if you've got kids in the RV. By tempering the water at the WH, you reduce scalding danger and the hot water lasts longer since it's extended by adding cold to it.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #22

I stand corrected. I googled water heater mix valves and got an education. Sorry!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #23

Here is a link to a similar valve--never knew they existed.

Robot Check

However, I am wondering about the claim of a 10gal heater doing the work of a 16gal--doesn't make sense to me. If I want a certain temp shower water, what difference does it make if the hot is mixed at the heater or at the faucet?

Some interesting thread/notes on the google search for 'water heater mixing valve'--seems some places are coding them in to new heater installs, and it adds a level of complexity to an otherwise simple system.

And, have yet to see one on an RV, or any other mention of them on an RV.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
I've installed mixing valves on showers for many years. They are very simple, a bi-metallic spring controls water mix of hot/cold at what ever you set it. They stop the change in temp. when someone else in house flushes a toilet or runs water in a sink. The use of a mixing valve allows a smaller water heater, at a higher temperature, so bacteria is killed by the heat. In an RV, we don't need smaller water heaters. You can do the mixing yourself at the shower, faucet manually or let the mixing valve do it for you, reducing chance of being burned by the very hot water from the tank.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #25

When the water heater heats the water hotter than normal (scalding hot - 130 or more), it makes sense to me to put in a mixing valve before the sink/shower so you can adjust the temp at the sink/shower without getting scalded - here is what Atwood sez: Atwood Water Heaters are more compact than suburban water heaters as a result this makes them more versatile and possibly more efficient at least under some circumstances. Where some lack in size and capacity they make up for it in performance. Select models extend beyond their capacities by utilizing a mixing valve that mixes hot water, heated above average temperatures, with colder water to provide 50% more hot water.

I highlighted the salient point...

It would be nice if my Atwood had a mixing valve! My water heater is not adjustable and EVERYONE needs to be very careful about getting the water too hot. Might be a project for the winter...

Tim

Timay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water