Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #1

Low Water Pressure

I have a 2007 Travel Supreme RLSS 31 foot fifth wheel. I have very low water pressure whether I am hooked up to city water or using the water pump. We have checked all of the fixtures and the aerators are all clean. Also, there is not a water filter on the system. This unit is a all season, if that makes a difference.
ddunbar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have deleted one of the two threads you began on this subject since our rules don't allow duplicate threads.

Hopefully someone will be along with advice soon.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Gee, you've tried all the easy answers, aerators and filters. Since you report it's happening on city or pump pressure, It's got to be a restriction or perhaps a half closed valve in the plumbing beyond the pump and city valve. Is it consistently low on hot and cold, at all faucets? Outside shower has both valves closed?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

If this fifthwheel is a all season I think you should check again on the filter. My Teton uses 2 . One under the kitchen sink and a softener added by the last owner. I had water pressure problems due to the filament filter under my sink. The next stop would be the check valve. If it breaks or comes apart it can restrict flow .
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #5

Fantastic Replies

What fast and timely replies. Thank you to all of you.

jonbrown, I have traced every water line from the beginning to the end and there definitely is not a water filter or a half closed valve. I was convinced this was my problem and the filter was hiding, unfortunately, this was not the issue.

BFlinn181, The outside shower valve is in the cabinet with the other water connections/controls and sewer controls. It is definitely not open. It is consistent low pressure on hot and cold at all fixtures.

RickO, I apologize for the mistake of the duplicate thread. I should have read the terms thouroughly. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

If it is not the check valve, as jonbrown suggests, I believe I will disconnect the cold water line at its furthest point from the connection and try to blow air or force water back. Maybe I can trace it down that way.

Once again, thank you all.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #6

ddunbar50,
Has this been a problem for some time, or sudden appearance? Water flow is easy to trace, if the lines can be seen. To me, low pressure on both supplies would indicate a blockage soon after the water enters the trailer, or soon after the pump. At some point, both sources merge and use the same lines--that is where I would think to start tracing the flow. Unfortunately, a lot of the lines will be hard to access.
Have you tried disconnecting each supply point line inside the trailer and see how the flow is? This can be messy, but its only water--you can catch most of it in a small container with someone handling the on/off duties.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm thinking, as jonbrown suggested, that it might be a bad check valve. There is probably one to prevent back flow between city water back through the pump to the tank. Since ddunbar50 has eliminated the other normal issues, the check valve sounds like one of the few things left to fail and cause restricted flow. Another thing to check, as I just typed the above, look for a crushed or kinked PEX line between the pump/city water junction and the rest of the RV.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #8

Good new ideas

I will check on the check valve and kinks before disconnecting the lines. Also, the system always acts like their is air in the lines if that makes any sense.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #9

When you first turn a faucet on, do you get a very short period (less than a second) of normal pressure, then the low pressure?

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #10

If it is as Bruce states above then you may have a defective mixing valve on the water heater. Just another idea.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
If it is as Bruce states above then you may have a defective mixing valve on the water heater. Just another idea.
I've not heard of a mixing valve on the water heater. The mixing is left to do at the faucet. On a WH, there's often a check valve, not a mixing valve.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #12

Our WH (Atwood 10gal) has (had) a mixing valve on the back that mixed the scalding hot water from the heater with some cold to provide hot water at the faucet. It was meant to prolong the amount of hot water (seem like a larger hot water tank) and to prevent scalding accidents. Ours started malfunctioning, clogged up with minerals, and resulted in low hot and cold water pressure following an inertial surge. Removed the valve (no new valve available at the time) and problem solved. Just have to be careful at the taps.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #13

Looking at my unit the other day after reading this I remember having low pressure this winter but it was caused because my unit has a mixing valve to add hot water to the cold lines in freezing conditions. I turned the mixing knobs and somehow almost cut all of my water off. Yesterday I tried it to see what I did and sure enough there are 4 mixing manual valves on mine. Looking at the plumbing it doesn't quite make sense to me yet.
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Since it's an all season unit, perhaps there are valves allowing water to mix. The problem with that is that if water mixed from the pump, it could cause a 'feedback loop' causing reduced flow. But, on city pressure, it should be the same through out the system. If you do have manual mixing valves, try turning them all off and see if it helps.

Bob & Donna

Tags
water