Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #1

I am currently dry-camped and have a problem with my fridge working on LP. It is a Dometic automatic with gas/override switch. When I turn it on, I can hear a relay or something clicking on the control board, and then about 15 seconds later I can hear the solenoid opening to let gas through. That is all. It has yet to fire up and start working. I cycled it about 100 times over an hour last night and nothing.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Thing '74
WicAndThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #2

I am currently dry-camped and have a problem with my fridge working on LP. It is a Dometic automatic with gas/override switch. When I turn it on, I can hear a relay or something clicking on the control board, and then about 15 seconds later I can hear the solenoid opening to let gas through. That is all. It has yet to fire up and start working. I cycled it about 100 times over an hour last night and nothing.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Thing '74
WicAndThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:44 PM   #3

A couple of questions.
Has it ru on gas before? If it;s a new rv check that the lp valve behind the cover is turned on.
The first time I tried ours on lp I discovered the valve was off, refer was trying to start.
Are you getting gas to the range and water heater?
If the tanks have been turned off for some time it take a while get through the lines. I always start the range first as it seems to move the most lp quickly.
Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #4

Assuming there is propane in the tank(s), the valve(s) is open and the regulator is working, I agree with milt about turning on the stove top to see if you can get a flame there first. This is the best way to evacuate air if any and to confirm a flame to ensure the system is fine. If it lites (lights sp?) and stays lit then you are OK on propane.

Next does your battery have at least 12 volts. Our fridge will run on propane when dry camping or during prolonged power outages (summer 2003), but if the battery goes below 12 volts then NO FRIDGE.

If the fridge still doesn't lite - you may or may not be able to hear it lite inside as it is rather quiet, so have someone listen outside close to the outside fridge vent to hear if it lites. Try back in 30 minutes anyway to see if the temp has dropped in the freezer.

I did have mud daubers / bees get into the outside fridge cover but it did not interfere with its operation. Careful if there are any bees there - they do sting.

Next will be a call to a dealer to check the next likely culprit and repair or replace the circuit board on the fridge or fridge. Usually the board, but that will be the call of a licensed technician.

Mike.
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #5

Have you looked for the flame? If yes, then have your wife cycle the switch while you watch at the box - - you will see the spark from the ignitor if the ignitor is working. You may have a bad ignitor. Check the burner itself to see if it is sooted up. Can you smell propane when the box is turned on? Lot's of things to look at before hitting the panic button. You can even try manually igniting it - - use the long propane powered lighter.
Bob
Old 10-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #6

Had a similar problem on another trailer. The fridge had a bad optical sensor that did not see the flame when it started up and shut the gas off. The tech pushed the reset button and we were good to go.

Don't know if yours has one or not.

Dave