Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Lube Plate v.s. Grease

How many out there use a lube plate. Any pros and cons?
CampEstes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2019, 06:21 PM   #2

I use a lube plate and grease on the jaws. It's been working great so far for 5 years.
JaRed1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

the same. our lube plate is going on 5 years. i do not use grease on it. i do lube the hitch jaws as recommended by the manufacturer (curt) and i do lube the kingpin.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
the same. our lube plate is going on 5 years. i do not use grease on it. i do lube the hitch jaws as recommended by the manufacturer (curt) and i do lube the kingpin.

Exact same here
Old 07-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #5

Lube plate since 2006 with routine lubing of pivot points on hitch internals & around the shaft of King Pin

Gone are the old days of smearing a coat of grease across the head plate of the hitch
Gone are the old days of grease getting on your clothes, hands, sleeves and anything else that happens to come in contact with that greased up head plate
Gone are the days of having to wipe that old grease off and smear a new coat on
Gone are the old days of sticky, messy greased up head plate

UNLESS....your hitch is one of those that can't use a lube plate due to clearances between jaw/King Pin shoulder and interferes with latching/closing of jaws
So sorry......
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 AM   #6

Awesome everyone! Thanks. I'll give it a shot for sure.
CampEstes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:14 AM   #7

I was unhitching after my recent trip to Ft Wilderness 3-4 weeks ago. The trip was made over 3 short days driving and two nights along the way at 2 different campgrounds with pull through sites so I didn't unhook. After backing into my site at the Fort I was pulling away from my 5'er and the lube plate literally flew off of the kingpin and landed on the ground. When I picked it up it had literally dozens of hairline cracks in it and when I pulled away it was a little warped and got stuck and broke. I can't get upset about the failure since it was the original one I bought when I first picked up my 5'er brand new in August 2010. Nine years of full time use. Off to CW in Kissimmee, FL before we left the Fort and a new one is now in place.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #8

What size plate do most of you use? I had been using the 10" but recently switched to a 12" for better coverage.

Dave
Old 07-07-2019, 05:07 AM   #9

I use the 10". A 12" would seem a bit wide.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lube plate and a bit of grease on the jaws of the pin. Grease on the table is way too messy.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

I have to use lube plates to center my hitch jaws in the kingpin groove. As a matter of fact, I have to stack two of them. Otherwise, the upper kingpin shoulder would rest on my hitch jaws and the plates wouldn't touch.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:13 AM   #12

Lube plate for sure. If it doesn't stay on the pin when unhitched, simple bang the area that touches the pin with a hammer and flatten it a little and then it will stay.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
I have to use lube plates to center my hitch jaws in the kingpin groove. As a matter of fact, I have to stack two of them. Otherwise, the upper kingpin shoulder would rest on my hitch jaws and the plates wouldn't touch.
Mine is the same way, short version is the company that made the pin lengthened it to work better with plates. Aka non standard size. Without the plate it hits rides on the jaws
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:50 AM   #14
IC2

Lube plates since 2009. On my second one with the first as a spare. That first one got bent out of shape on an off camber hookup so I bought a new one, thinking it was beyond repair. Left it on a picnic table and it went about 75% back into shape in the hot sun and 100% reuseabel after a few whangs with a hammer. A 10" works with most hitches and pin boxes.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote