Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #15

I believe any of the above choices would require a ..DRW.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punks385RLS View Post
I am currently in the market for a luxury fiver and was hoping to get some feedback on build quality, features, warranty and service for the brands I'm considering. I've trimmed my list to the following brands:

DRV Mobile Suites Aire
Heartland Landmark 365
Forest River Riverstone/Riverstone Legacy
Redwood RV

I definitely want a coach I can tow with single rear wheel 1-ton diesel pick-up truck. I'm considering a new 2017 Ford F-350 SRW Crew Cab as properly equipped it can tow up to 20,600 lbs. I realize payload is also a consideration and I need to carefully consider the fifth-wheel hitch weight and other cargo on the truck.

If anyone has experience/knowledge of these units I'd sure appreciate the feedback - thanks!
Need to define Luxury. Are you looking for quality or looks? How long? Might consider north woods mfg and outdoors rv if you're looking for true quality. I would not be too interested in jay or or forest river...have one of those now and it's ok but not great. Good luck and safe travels.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Need to define Luxury. Are you looking for quality or looks? How long? Might consider north woods mfg and outdoors rv if you're looking for true quality. I would not be too interested in jay or or forest river...have one of those now and it's ok but not great. Good luck and safe travels.

It's funny. I used the term "Luxury" because each of these manufacturers describe these particularly products as Luxury fifth wheels. I realize Forest River is a huge company; one of the conglomerates like Keystone and Thor that have a huge range of products. I actually believe that DRV was acquired recently by Thor. There is a huge difference (in price and features) in a Forest River Wildcat and a Forest River Riverstone.

I guess I'm looking for a well built unit that I can full-time in and easily travel without a tractor/trailer needed to tow it.
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #18

We have a Landmark now and will consider one again if we purchase another. Factory support has been good. Heartland will approve a mobile RV tech if needed which can help when on the road. We would also consider the Riverstone Legacy's. Very nice rigs from what we have saw. The Legacy comes with alot standard and not many options. It was mentioned that you don't have as much room with the walls being thicker, but not true when compared to the Landmark. The Landmark is 96" wide verses the 102" widebody of the Legacy. The Redwood is also widebody I think. Have looked at the Aire and took it off our list.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007dura View Post
We have a Landmark now and will consider one again if we purchase another. Factory support has been good. Heartland will approve a mobile RV tech if needed which can help when on the road. We would also consider the Riverstone Legacy's. Very nice rigs from what we have saw. The Legacy comes with alot standard and not many options. It was mentioned that you don't have as much room with the walls being thicker, but not true when compared to the Landmark. The Landmark is 96" wide verses the 102" widebody of the Legacy. The Redwood is also widebody I think. Have looked at the Aire and took it off our list.

Thank you for the feedback 2007dura. It's that kind of feedback I'm looking for. Can I ask which model Landmark you have and what you tow it with? Also why did you take the DRV Aire off your list?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
It's funny. I used the term "Luxury" because each of these manufacturers describe these particularly products as Luxury fifth wheels. I realize Forest River is a huge company; one of the conglomerates like Keystone and Thor that have a huge range of products. I actually believe that DRV was acquired recently by Thor. There is a huge difference (in price and features) in a Forest River Wildcat and a Forest River Riverstone.

I guess I'm looking for a well built unit that I can full-time in and easily travel without a tractor/trailer needed to tow it.
Paul...sincerely...do not make your final decision before you check out both Northwoods mfg & Outdoors RV. Both are made in Oregon and stress True Four Season Quality...awesome reputation for Quality and Full Timing. My wife and I will be full timing in a couple years and one of these fivers is my goal...I have a cedar creek now...it's just ok. Please check it out...owners are very pleased with them... by the way...I don't work for them!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback 2007dura. It's that kind of feedback I'm looking for. Can I ask which model Landmark you have and what you tow it with? Also why did you take the DRV Aire off your list?
We have a Landmark Savannah, the predecessor to the 365 Landmarks. We pull with a 2017 F-350 dually and for the rigs you are looking at I would recommend a dually. You are looking at some heavy rigs, most will gross out at 18K, so you will probably have pin weight of 4K or more. I am not a member of the weight police, but after pulling a heavy rig with a SRW and then a dually, there is a difference. Depending on how you load, a SRW may be in its limits with the new frames on a Ford.

The Aire is nice, but not for us. The underneath storage is small and with the extra slide in bedroom the storage door doesn't open up but parallel to the ground so it would be hard to get things out. The bottom of the drawers inside are very flimsy and I could see issues with them not supporting much weight. Only comes with 16" tires, 17.5" not an option.

We have been very happy with our Landmark. Have had it in temperatures to -13 degrees with a wind chill of -30. I did have a water line to the island freeze that night, but it thawed out the next day. Found the line was against the I beam and it hadn't been above freezing for a week when that happened. I do have the Yeti package on mine. Even though we have had no issues in the heat, I would recommend the 3rd AC on the units you are looking at as they are big.

Here is a construction video of the Riverstone Legacy. This video is a year or so old.

We saw one when they first came out and liked them. Dealer near us is getting one in soon, so we plan on checking it out.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #22

Paul, we just bought a Riverstone 38RE Legacy which is going through the PDI right now and we're having our solar setup transferred.
There is no way I would tow it behind a SRW 1 ton truck, over 19,000# GVW.
We did consider the Luxe and the DRW but the Luxe was out because of price and we would have to upgrade our truck, the DRW on the other hand has been getting some mixed reviews lately and when (at least when trying to) comparing apples to apples, the Riverstone wins. Also, we had good luck with our Trilogy which is also a Forest River product.
I wish I could give a bit of a review of the Riverstone but the delivery was delayed because of a relatively minor issue with the leveling system where the dealer had to order parts from Riverstone, this unfortunately interfered with our Canada Day long weekend and the 4th of July holiday in the US - UPS and Canada Customs. We went with the trailer our dealer had in stock since it had exactly the options we wanted (pretty much everything, except generator) http://www.sundrerv.ca/default.asp?p...=xAllInventory. However, MorRyde IS is unfortunately not available from Riverstone directly and we will have to wait and see how this goes (8000# EZ lube Dexter axles with disc brakes are standard equipment).
Old 07-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Luxury Fifth-Wheels - Which to buy

Quote:
The big three have really stepped up their heavy duty tow ratings in the past couple of years, especially Ford. All of the units I'm considering have GVWR's under 19,000 lbs well below the tow rating of the Ford F-350 at 20,600 lbs. Depending on how it's equipped I can get the Ford with a payload rating of 4,000 lbs. The fifth wheels I'm looking at have hitch weights between 2,500 - 3,200 lbs.

Those are probably dry weights that you're looking at. Figure at least 20-25% for pin weight and you'll be in dually territory for sure. I wouldn't do it at all! You don't know what you're pin weight is till you load it up and take it to a scale and weigh everything. We have a '17 Landmark, 3820 on the pin, 17,640 overall but my truck has 5660 payload. We love it so far after about 7000 miles. It has 17.5" wheels and 8k axles, full body paint. It's the Newport, bath & a half model and warranted for full-time use. DRV/Luxe was over our budget. We looked at the others w/full-time warranties. KZ, VanLeigh Vilano and Grand Design Solitude but thought the Landmark had them beat. Paid 91k out the door at La Mesa in Phoenix. As others have said, look at Outdoors and Northwoods as well. They build great stuff but their 5th wheels were too small for our needs. We owned a TT from them both and they were great products. They are both built in La Grande, Oregon if you're out that way. Haven't seen them in the East or mid-west at all. I really liked the Riverstone but didn't want a Forest River product but they are nice looking. Good luck!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #24

There are a lot of quality products out there. I agree with Wundertaker, check out Outdoors RV made in Le Grande, Oregon. We have made the factory tour and been to one of their owner's rallies. They make an exceptional product and we are delighted with our Glacier Peak 5th wheel. Could not be happier! Alex
Old 07-17-2017, 05:13 AM   #25

We have had our River Stone Legacy 38MB for almost a year now and have been very happy with it, no real major issue but did have a few small ones that will be addressed at the FROG Rally, mostly things with supplied parts from different mfg's. We do tow with a class 8 tractor but would not tow with less then a DRW truck but more to personal preference. Good luck on your choice will be watching for your decision.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 AM   #26
paz

Quote:
The big three have really stepped up their heavy duty tow ratings in the past couple of years, especially Ford. All of the units I'm considering have GVWR's under 19,000 lbs well below the tow rating of the Ford F-350 at 20,600 lbs. Depending on how it's equipped I can get the Ford with a payload rating of 4,000 lbs. The fifth wheels I'm looking at have hitch weights between 2,500 - 3,200 lbs.
The pin weight is what usually determines the need for a dually, not the
GVWR. Like others have said, calculate the loaded pin weight at 25% of the trailer's GVWR. Don't pay any attention to the published pin weights because they are based on a completely empty trailer with no added options.

Many of the 5th wheels you mention in your initial post have a GVWR of at least 16k. At 25%, that gives you a pin weight of around 4k, which is near the limit of the cargo capacity of most SRW trucks, especially since you have to subtract the weight of the hitch, tools, and passengers from the truck's cargo capacity to get the usable capacity for the pin weight. If you're looking at a high end 5th wheel, you'll be better off with dually.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Thank you everyone for all the replies. I do appreciate everyone's input and advice.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #28

What about build quality? As many have said look elsewhere for a quality 5th wheel.

Two corporations are responsible for over 90% of the RV's sold today and in my opinion their primary concern is pooping them out the door so they can keep the share holders happy.

Watch some YouTube videos on how these guys throw trailers together so they can meet quota.

It's hard to do but I'd spend time looking for a smaller company who is primarily concerned with quality rather than production.

BTW, I have yet to find a dealer worth their salt.