Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Luxury Fifth-Wheels - Which to buy

I am currently in the market for a luxury fiver and was hoping to get some feedback on build quality, features, warranty and service for the brands I'm considering. I've trimmed my list to the following brands:

DRV Mobile Suites Aire
Heartland Landmark 365
Forest River Riverstone/Riverstone Legacy
Redwood RV

I definitely want a coach I can tow with single rear wheel 1-ton diesel pick-up truck. I'm considering a new 2017 Ford F-350 SRW Crew Cab as properly equipped it can tow up to 20,600 lbs. I realize payload is also a consideration and I need to carefully consider the fifth-wheel hitch weight and other cargo on the truck.

If anyone has experience/knowledge of these units I'd sure appreciate the feedback - thanks!
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #2

I would throw the Jayco Pinnacle line in there to, or Designer.
MGrawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

I'm thinking that with any of those the payload with pin weight and cargo considerations will put you into a DRW. JMHO.

I have a 2002 3500 Silverado DRW and I can't tow some of those and stay under weight ratings.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

You might look at lux they also make Augusta. It is going to be tough to get at top of the line without a dually. Designer and Pinnacle are nice but they are of a little lower build quality then DRV ,LUX
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGrawe View Post
I would throw the Jayco Pinnacle line in there to, or Designer.

I did look at the Pinnacle and wasn't too impressed. I haven't had the opportunity to see the Designer series though.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledon View Post
I'm thinking that with any of those the payload with pin weight and cargo considerations will put you into a DRW. JMHO.

I have a 2002 3500 Silverado DRW and I can't tow some of those and stay under weight ratings.

The big three have really stepped up their heavy duty tow ratings in the past couple of years, especially Ford. All of the units I'm considering have GVWR's under 19,000 lbs well below the tow rating of the Ford F-350 at 20,600 lbs. Depending on how it's equipped I can get the Ford with a payload rating of 4,000 lbs. The fifth wheels I'm looking at have hitch weights between 2,500 - 3,200 lbs.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Select the 5er that pleases you the most and then take the GVWR to calculate the truck you need. If you use 25% of the GVWR as pin weight it will get you close to numbers you can use to calculate the correct capacity of the truck.

Buying a truck that is over capacity will give you more pleasure towing than the downside when you are driving it unloaded.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
You might look at lux they also make Augusta. It is going to be tough to get at top of the line without a dually. Designer and Pinnacle are nice but they are of a little lower build quality then DRV ,LUX

Thanks Jacknife! I'll definitely check them out. I didn't consider any DRV except the Aire as they are definitely in the weight class a dually is mandatory. GVWRs above 22,000 lbs
Old 07-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post

Interesting that they don't post weights of their models on their website. It looks like they are well over 20K just like the DRV. I'm sure the frame and the 3.5" walls account for most of the weight. The Riverstone has 3" walls as opposed to 2" walls in the DRV Aire, Landmark 365 and the Redwood. It may be the perfect compromise for a four season unit and a ton of weight.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thicker walls mean warmer or cooler as the case may be, but also means less interior space. Better insulation can counter thick walls. Spray foam or rigid Styrofoam instead of pink will add a significant R factor and not be prone to settling.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Thicker walls mean warmer or cooler as the case may be, but also means less interior space. Better insulation can counter thick walls. Spray foam or rigid Styrofoam instead of pink will add a significant R factor and not be prone to settling.

Thank you Gordon. Makes sense.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punks385RLS View Post
Interesting that they don't post weights of their models on their website. It looks like they are well over 20K just like the DRV. I'm sure the frame and the 3.5" walls account for most of the weight. The Riverstone has 3" walls as opposed to 2" walls in the DRV Aire, Landmark 365 and the Redwood. It may be the perfect compromise for a four season unit and a ton of weight.
RV Factory makes the Luxe, also makes a lighter weight version, the Ambition. They are also coming out with the Luxe Gold which appears to be lighter than a Luxe. We have a 2016 Ambition which weighs 18k loaded, and almost 4300 lb pin. The pin weight of most of the trailers mentioned will be close to the max for a SWR truck.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
RV Factory makes the Luxe, also makes a lighter weight version, the Ambition. They are also coming out with the Luxe Gold which appears to be lighter than a Luxe. We have a 2016 Ambition which weighs 18k loaded, and almost 4300 lb pin. The pin weight of most of the trailers mentioned will be close to the max for a SWR truck.

That pin weight on your Luxe is quite a bit higher than the pin weights listed in the specifications of the units I'm looking at. Most are closer to 3,000 lbs. Maybe it's because they are using a dry pin weight???
Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punks385RLS View Post
That pin weight on your Luxe is quite a bit higher than the pin weights listed in the specifications of the units I'm looking at. Most are closer to 3,000 lbs. Maybe it's because they are using a dry pin weight???
Yes, I think our dry weight was around 16k. Using this with the 20-25% rule of thumb give a minimum pin wt of 3200lbs.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote