Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
We have been having a lot of issues with the Thetford toilet that came in our trailer. The latest battle has been with constant clogs, mostly due to the routing of the drain from the toilet to the black tank. Is there a toilet that has a built in macerator that is compatible with RV use. I know they have them for marine installations, but not sure if it could be adapted to RV use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #2

We have been having a lot of issues with the Thetford toilet that came in our trailer. The latest battle has been with constant clogs, mostly due to the routing of the drain from the toilet to the black tank. Is there a toilet that has a built in macerator that is compatible with RV use. I know they have them for marine installations, but not sure if it could be adapted to RV use.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Rick A... We have a maceratiing toilet in our rig...

This is close to ours in the rig It is a Thetford Tecma toilet with 2 buttons...

Hope this helps you...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #4

sounds like your not useing enough water when your flushing solids..... Make sure you have at a min 3~5 qts of water in the bowl before you hit the bump valve , doing this will almost surely cure 95% of owners toilet complaints ! put 1/2 ~3/4 of the water in before you do your thing and add water to it if needed before you flush .
Old 12-27-2007, 03:41 AM   #5

The problem is that there are at least 2 45 degree angles in the plumbing going to the holding tank. Even with using plenty of water we are getting clogs. I don't know if there is a partial clog still in there that is magnifying the problem. We have had so many other issues with this toilet that I think I need to just replace it with a better one and a macerator would take care of both issues.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #6

Rick A...
We used to have a Newmar Kountry Aire, and it had 2 - 45 degree bends. Xc-mark's above advice is solid, but I still had a couple of clogs in 6 years of full timing. In the plumbing department, Lowes and Home Depot carry some stiff clear plastic hose (believe it starts with a Q"). You can adapt a short piece of this (use the 3/8 in) to your water hose and cut the end off at a 45 degree. It is flexable but still pretty stiff, and with the water turned on, you can poke it through just about anything. Clears a clog in seconds and you can just carry it with you. Learned that trick from an old RV repairman on the first clog. Hope it helps.

Ray H

2007 Chevy 3500 Dually, Trailer Saver 25K# Air Hitch
Ray H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick A:
The problem is that there are at least 2 45 degree angles in the plumbing going to the holding tank. Even with using plenty of water we are getting clogs. I don't know if there is a partial clog still in there that is magnifying the problem. We have had so many other issues with this toilet that I think I need to just replace it with a better one and a macerator would take care of both issues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have two 45 and one long drop to our black tank and we have never CLOGGED it
i am holding back some funny thoughts
sorry
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote