Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
6 volt batteries are more robust given the same space and balancing the wiring.

-Jeff
Bingo...a couple of dedicated 6v 220AH deep cycle trojans or similar power big 22 cu ft. Samsungs all the time in the class A's. But they DO need to be recharged daily.
The Magnums output will be quite sufficient to power a fridge....but if it is a model with the built in charger...you'll want to make sure that can provide sufficient amps to recharge the batteries from shore power or a generator in a reasonable time. A 50=60 amp charger will be plenty for a 220ah battery bank.

@Glennwest...the answer is there is NO reason to go 6V other than economics. Getting a TRUE DEEP CYCLE (not dual purpose) 12V battery that produces the equivilent 220 amp hours...would require a pair of Group 31's which based on production and use factors will be lots more expensive than golf cart batts...particularly the ones at Sam's or Costco. It is just a matter of amp hours per $$. When the existing pair of 12V's go to the battery dump after their murder...it will be time enough to replace them with a second pair of 6Volts as well...room permitting.

May I suggest that anyone boondocking with a 12V refrig...or boondocking period needs a TRUE battery monitor and it will become the most looked at meter or gauge in the RV. Like this: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...FWYV7AodxkMAWw

Knowing only voltage means you don't have NEARLY enough info to keep from trashing your expensive batteries.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #16

we have 4 batteries.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #17

Heartland approved a larger (2000w) inverter so hopefully thats the fix
Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
How old are the batteries that are feeding the inverter? The symptoms are consitent with bad batteries.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
How old are the batteries that are feeding the inverter? The symptoms are consitent with bad batteries.
Brand new. Unit has one night of sleep on it
Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative1970 View Post
Heartland approved a larger (2000w) inverter so hopefully thats the fix

where do you tell the size of your inverter. It sounds like you have the same problem the guy next door does.

For the people that talk about 6 volt batteries. I have a class A and have 4 6volt batteries. Those do a really good job but are pretty big. Also my 2500 watt inverter has a 100 amp battery charger. Plus the 200 amp alternator on my Cummins ISL engine charges them while travelling. The reason most of us in class a MH do not have the 12 volt golf cart batteries is expense the cost of 2 12 volt golf cart style batteries is quite a bit more than 4 6volt golf cart batteries at Sams Club. They are also very heavy.
to make it worth while to change you would have to get 4 12 volt batteries then you would double your amhour range but at a big expense in both money and weight.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post

where do you tell the size of your inverter. It sounds like you have the same problem the guy next door does.

For the people that talk about 6 volt batteries. I have a class A and have 4 6volt batteries. Those do a really good job but are pretty big. Also my 2500 watt inverter has a 100 amp battery charger. Plus the 200 amp alternator on my Cummins ISL engine charges them while travelling. The reason most of us in class a MH do not have the 12 volt golf cart batteries is expense the cost of 2 12 volt golf cart style batteries is quite a bit more than 4 6volt golf cart batteries at Sams Club. They are also very heavy.
to make it worth while to change you would have to get 4 12 volt batteries then you would double your amhour range but at a big expense in both money and weight.
I looked in my magnum manual. His is a big horn so im sure it is a 1000w inverter. I believe thats what all trailers with the residential package get from heartland.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #22

Sorry for the off shoot here but on the "enough amps" subject. It doesn't matter if you have a 1000 amp charger if you don't have the proper voltage to feed those amps into a battery they won't go. True deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries like to charge slow at around 10% of the total bank 20hr capacity. Two GC2's with 220ah capacity don't want more than 22 amps until they reach absorb. Once at absorb (14.8 volts at 77 degrees Fahrenheit) this current will drop as they finish filling up.

Sure would be nice to know his inverter model. Going forward if it was able to use the Magnum BMK and ME-ARC he could know for sure how his batteries are doing.

-Jeff
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #23

So the short version. ...Heartland approved an inverter upgrade to the Magnum MS2012 invert/charger. Fridge is working perfectly sitting beside my house with no tow vehicle and no power cord to the house.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I looked in my magnum manual. His is a big horn so im sure it is a 1000w inverter. I believe thats what all trailers with the residential package get from heartland.
that might be his problem I do not think a 1000 watt inverter would be big enough to power a large residential refrigerator like his.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So the short version. ...Heartland approved an inverter upgrade to the Magnum MS2012 invert/charger. Fridge is working perfectly sitting beside my house with no tow vehicle and no power cord to the house.
Thank you for your help. He checked and he does have a 1000 watt inverter. When he gets home next week he is going to take your advice and have his dealer check with heartland and have them upgrade his inverter. Thank You for all of your help. I want to thank all of the other posters for their advice.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #26

Having installed many inverters I have seen the installations by manufacturers that was essentially useless. There are 2 axiums that can't be changed, The inverter needs to be as close to the batteries as possible without being in the same compartment as the batteries and the feed cables from the batteries to the inverter have to be as large as possible to prevent voltage loss.
All this is done to prevent voltage drop between the batteries and the inverter.
In my installations I never have leads between battery banks and inverters any longer then 18 inches. 12 inches is better and I use 4/0 welding cable swedging on heavy duty copper lugs to the cable ends for my battery to inverter leads. Remember short as possible and as big as possible.
I once went to a call and saw the installation. The inverter was 15 feet away from a set of 4 Trogen golf cart batteries and wired to the inverter with a set of # 6 wires. I got 6 10ths of volt drop across those leads making using the inverter impossible. It would beep at low voltage the moment it was turned on. Battery voltage was 12.78 volts at rest. Good batteries! I moved the inverter to within a foot of the batteries and made up new feed cables using 4/0 cables and extended the 110 AC line. I measured the voltage drop across my leads and got 2/100 of a volt drop. The inverter never beeped a low voltage error again unless the batteries were drained to 11.7 volts or under.
The moral here is keep leads large and as short as possible. You need to use the power that available without sqandering it by using undersized power leads. Unfortunately trailer manufacturers do not know the nuances of inverter placement and lead size.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #27

Everything Paul wrote above is correct - I would just quibble a little bit with the "amounts". You need to keep the inverter close to the bank - but restricting it to 12-24" is not a requirement. You SHOULD, however try to keep the lengths as short as reasonable.....and exceeding 5' is something you should only do if you take that into account and take measures to make sure that you still have acceptable voltage drop. The manufacturers of quality inverters generally have pretty complete and specific installation instructions. ...which are mostly ignored by RV manufacturers.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
The manufacturers of quality inverters generally have pretty complete and specific installation instructions. ...which are mostly ignored by RV manufacturers.
Agreed, from the Magnum installation manual.

Tags
inverter