Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Magnum Inverter Question.

I am posting this for the guy in the next campsite. He has a 2014 Heartland Bighorn. The unit has a house style refrigerator that only runs off of 115 vac. The Bighorn came with a Magnum inverter and two Deep Cycle 12vdc batteries. This is the first time he has taken his new trailer camping. He has had it plugged in for over a week and the 12 volt batteries are both charged. His problem is the inverter. When he turns on the inverter it stays on for a couple of minutes then the inverter beeps and turns off. He checked his refrigerator and he has power to the refrigerator when the inverter is on but as soon as the inverter beeps ad the inverter power light goes off he loses refrigerator power. Has anyone seen this before. He called Hearland and they were no help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the 12vdc input to the inverter high or low, as the inverter may being seeing this and shutting down.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

I agree....not gonna get very far troubleshooting this 'less you have a voltmeter...
Old 05-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

I am dealing with this same issue right now. My service mgr was told by heartland that the inverter is to be used ONLY when hooked to the truck and towing. The 2 batteries alone cannot supply enough juice to the inverter without the constant charging done by the tow vehicle. The Inverter senses this and shuts down with a load error. Tell him to try hooking tow vehicle up to trailer and then turning on inverter. Heartland replaced my inverter because the dlr service mgr also found an issue with the GFCI outlet.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative1970 View Post
I am dealing with this same issue right now. My service mgr was told by heartland that the inverter is to be used ONLY when hooked to the truck and towing. The 2 batteries alone cannot supply enough juice to the inverter without the constant charging done by the tow vehicle. The Inverter senses this and shuts down with a load error. Tell him to try hooking tow vehicle up to trailer and then turning on inverter. Heartland replaced my inverter because the dlr service mgr also found an issue with the GFCI outlet.
So this means if you stop somewhere and turn off the tv, the Magnum will suck both the 5er's and the tv's batteries dead? Doesn't sound like someone thought this out.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not understanding the usage model. So you are saying the inverter function is only to allow operation of the refrigerator when traveling? So dry camping is not a supported usage model?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #7

Yes that was the reply feom Heartland. For use only in transit
Old 05-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes that was the reply feom Heartland. For use only in transit
That is a ridiculous design if true. However I don't see how it can be true. First thing is to determine the error on the inverter. Then work on correcting it. If it is low battery voltage an additional battery may help with that, or set the low voltage shutdown higher in the inverter.

It would be helpful to know which model inverter.

Is it wired for only the refrigerator or is there an inverter subpanel with other circuits on it?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
...It would be helpful to know which model inverter...
Agreed. From that, you should be able to find out if the inverter has AC pass-through. If it does, which it really should, 115V shore power will go to the fridge when plugged in, and 12V from the batteries will be inverted to 115V when you're not.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You cannot see the model number of the inverter We both looked and it did no show it. I am sure if we take the inverter off it is probably on the backside but a new 5er I do not want to suggest removing anything. The dealer told him that It would run the refrigerator 12 hours on one battery. I do not believe that but that is what the dealer says. I cannot imagine if you are running your 12 volt lighting, water pump, etc plus a tv and refrigerator on 2 deep cycle 12 volt batteries you are going to get any time at all to dry camp out of that. But back to his problem. I have not taken a volt meter to it yet. In order to do that I am going to have to have him turn off shore power so that I do not read a battery charger voltage. I was asking to see if anyone has had this same problem. To the poster with the GFI problem I would think that would be a problem that would show up on shore power did your 5er work ok with shore power ?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #11

If he wants to dry camp I would suggest that they get rid of the 2 -12v batteries and put 4-6v batteries in its place..A 120v frig needs about 7 to 11 amps to operate on 120v, so thats the reason for running the truck for extra 12v(amps)...But each 6v battery weights about 72lbs so 4 would be 288lbs.. that alot of extra weight to add to the camper...so another idea would be to make a battery box a put the extra batteries in the bed of the truck....plus vI would add about 200w of solar panel on the roof of the rv..
Rich+Andrea,2dogsPhoenix/Stella,2011Montana3400,FirePlace,Gen,26vBat,1500wI nverter,W/Dryer,05dodgeCTD3500,4:10,BuiltAuto,water/meth inj.30gal inbed fueltank,
wantabe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #12

An update on my situation. New inverter cqme in and was installed. Same problem , works for 30 seconds and shuts down with a load error message. Dealer is talking with HL to put a bigger inverter in. They also hooked it to a tow vehicle with no change
Old 05-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe351 View Post
If he wants to dry camp I would suggest that they get rid of the 2 -12v batteries and put 4-6v batteries in its place..A 120v frig needs about 7 to 11 amps to operate on 120v, so thats the reason for running the truck for extra 12v(amps)...But each 6v battery weights about 72lbs so 4 would be 288lbs.. that alot of extra weight to add to the camper...so another idea would be to make a battery box a put the extra batteries in the bed of the truck....plus vI would add about 200w of solar panel on the roof of the rv..
why not 4 12volt batteries?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
why not 4 12volt batteries?
6 volt batteries are more robust given the same space and balancing the wiring.

-Jeff

Tags
inverter