Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Working on building up my nerve to do this on the return trip. DW says "no way", but I'm thinking about taking a wrong turn.
We just went from Monterey CA to Washington state on 101 in a 30 foot class A towing a car, no problems at all.
__________________

__________________
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
JudyH's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 892
16 MPG? Did you reset the fuel average gauge before you started? You did well for the first trip!
__________________

__________________
Judy & Ralph, w/Molly (the Westie) & Sadie (the Fourche Terrier)
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Lariat
2013 Infinity 3850RL
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Whale watching is on the list and as well a revisit to all of the Oregon Coast.

It is breathtaking beautiful here.... can't say enough about telling people to do this part of the country if and when they get the chance.

There is rain. I will say that LOL. But I have noticed in the 3.5 weeks we have been here that there has been equal sunshine too. Or at least it feels that way.

I am use to Southern CA, so the sun shines almost 365 days a year. But it is sooooo nice to have the change of seasons and the green. Very beautiful. I am hoping WA has the best summer ever on record this year. I have been told by locals that the last two summers were not as good as they could have been.

Regardless even with the rain the temps are mild and enjoyable. I have plenty of rain gear to keep me dry and I am just enjoying the beauty.

__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Wanabee FTer's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Golden Village Palms, CA
Posts: 1,988
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
We just went from Monterey CA to Washington state on 101 in a 30 foot class A towing a car, no problems at all.
I talked DW into going to the coast from Salem Oregon. We took hwy 22 through Suislaw national forest to get to Cape lookout state park. A slow beautiful drive on this winding stretch of 2 lane road.

Stayed at Cape lookout a couple nights, very nice. It's in a wooded area with a short walk to the beach. Then headed north on 101 and now in Astoria. Looking forward to crossing the 2 lane Astoria–Megler Bridge. It is the longest continuous truss bridge in North America.

We will take 101 up near Olympia then cut across east to get to our destination. Can't wait to drive south on 101 when we come back!
__________________
John
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
Member
 
lv2bgoing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I talked DW into going to the coast from Salem Oregon. We took hwy 22 through Suislaw national forest to get to Cape lookout state park. A slow beautiful drive on this winding stretch of 2 lane road.

Stayed at Cape lookout a couple nights, very nice. It's in a wooded area with a short walk to the beach. Then headed north on 101 and now in Astoria. Looking forward to crossing the 2 lane Astoria–Megler Bridge. It is the longest continuous truss bridge in North America.

We will take 101 up near Olympia then cut across east to get to our destination. Can't wait to drive south on 101 when we come back!
We are in Coos Bay, Oregon right now and it has been raining, and did I mention we are having rain. We are traveling the 101 all the way up to Tillamock then to Astoria . we are headed to Seattle, Wa. I just hopes the rain stops.
__________________
lv2bgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
We just went from Monterey CA to Washington state on 101 in a 30 foot class A towing a car, no problems at all.
Awesome !!!!! Pretty drive isn't it.
__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabee fter View Post
i talked dw into going to the coast from salem oregon. We took hwy 22 through suislaw national forest to get to cape lookout state park. A slow beautiful drive on this winding stretch of 2 lane road.

Stayed at cape lookout a couple nights, very nice. It's in a wooded area with a short walk to the beach. Then headed north on 101 and now in astoria. Looking forward to crossing the 2 lane astoria–megler bridge. it is the longest continuous truss bridge in north america.

We will take 101 up near olympia then cut across east to get to our destination. Can't wait to drive south on 101 when we come back!

you are going to love it
__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
16 MPG? Did you reset the fuel average gauge before you started? You did well for the first trip!
I was shocked. I could not get over I did so well either. I was expecting tops 14 mpg. Very impressed. I will admit I was on the lighter side and did not max out my towing weight. And the grades were not bad at all. Mostly level driving. That may have been why. Very happy about it though. At least I know what to expect on the next trip without any grades.
__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2bgoing View Post
We are in Coos Bay, Oregon right now and it has been raining, and did I mention we are having rain. We are traveling the 101 all the way up to Tillamock then to Astoria . we are headed to Seattle, Wa. I just hopes the rain stops.
We have been having mixed days. It rained for the last three, but today is partly sunny and we are suppose to have a great weekend.

I have been here now almost 3.5 weeks and I have seen equally sunny periods as much as the rain. So I will pray in some great sunshine for you when you work your way here !!!!!
__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 88
Wow! We must have all been passing each other and not knowing it We are currently in Fort Bragg CA tonight, on our way home from a wonderful Oregon Coast trip from SoCal! However we started our trip in AZ...went to Tombstone for "Wyatt Earp Days" with friends in late May...from there, headed north thru AZ to Vegas, then Reno, cut across N. Calif till we hit interstate 5 in Weed. Then stayed on 5 all the way to Portland. From Portland we turned west to Astoria, and saw everything going south on the Oregon Coast...just beautiful! Had alot of rain, and its been chilly, but still a great trip! Stayed in Astoria, Lincoln City, Coos Bay, and north of Crescent City last night. Coming down the 101 today, after a stop in Eureka and Ferndale...turned west at Leggett, towards Highway One, to Fort Bragg. Beautiful scenery BUT VERY WINDY ROAD! We did it though, with no problems On towards wine country (Napa) tomorrow then home down the 99 (need to stop in Fresno to see kids), otherwise we would have stayed on the 101.
LOVE this trip!
__________________
2015 Cardinal 3850RL
carolanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanded View Post
Wow! We must have all been passing each other and not knowing it We are currently in Fort Bragg CA tonight, on our way home from a wonderful Oregon Coast trip from SoCal! However we started our trip in AZ...went to Tombstone for "Wyatt Earp Days" with friends in late May...from there, headed north thru AZ to Vegas, then Reno, cut across N. Calif till we hit interstate 5 in Weed. Then stayed on 5 all the way to Portland. From Portland we turned west to Astoria, and saw everything going south on the Oregon Coast...just beautiful! Had alot of rain, and its been chilly, but still a great trip! Stayed in Astoria, Lincoln City, Coos Bay, and north of Crescent City last night. Coming down the 101 today, after a stop in Eureka and Ferndale...turned west at Leggett, towards Highway One, to Fort Bragg. Beautiful scenery BUT VERY WINDY ROAD! We did it though, with no problems On towards wine country (Napa) tomorrow then home down the 99 (need to stop in Fresno to see kids), otherwise we would have stayed on the 101.
LOVE this trip!
I lived in St. Helena for about a year. You are still heading for beautiful area's. Isn't 5th Wheeling fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
We did the scienic route up the 101. Very winding but beautiful. We stayed on the 101 until Crecent City then cut over to 5 by way of Grant's Pass. If you want to avoid curves do not due Grant's pass.

If we would have taken the 60 to the 210 to the 5 up the grapevine it would have saved us much time, but we would have missed the beauty of the CA/OR coast.

I was paranoid about any grades we encountered along the way, but really there was not cause for alarm. The truck and 5th Wheel did just fine. We took it nice and slow. It took us 2.5 days and drove 8 hours each day.

Glad you are enjoying the same trip up to WA. The weather has been increable here.
Glad your enjoying our State. If you want more of that ol sunshine, hang out in Sequim, right on the Straights of Juan De Fuca south of Pt Angles . Known as the Blue Hole, it enjoys a rain shadow protected by the Olympic mountains. 15 inches a year compared to Seattle's 39. Ck out John Wayne marina for a nice RV park with water views. Put your kayak in right there in Sequim Bay.

We did the 101 route last Nov-Dec taking 7 weeks from Longbeach, Wa to Southern. Az. Stayed on 101 to Paso Robles, Ca before cutting to I-5 and 58 to avoid the LA area. We do 200 mi and stop for 2 - 7 days, depending on things to do.

For those who haven't taken 101 don't fear it. Good road; some sections are double lane; just windy and hilly. Lots to see and do. Take the time and enjoy !
Ray
__________________
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
first5thwheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 322
Thank you for the suggested places to visit. WILL DO !!!!
__________________

__________________
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.