Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage Southern CA to WA

Well after many months of preparation made my 1s trip 1200 miles North. Everything went off without a "hitch"....ha ha ha no pun intended.

My truck an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4 speed auto pulled the 5th wheel as if nothing were behind us at all. I was amazed at the torque. You hear about it but until you experience it is hard to describe.

My weight was just under factory allowed for the rig and truck so did well there. I averaged 16 MPG and that included several 7% grades. I did not think that was bad seeing my combined 5thwheel and truck weight was 18,000 lbs.

My temperature gauges only rose 10 degrees when on the grades, otherwise dropped back to normal temps on the normal grade. I was very impressed with that.

Had the trailer brakes set a little higher than normal. I tested them on a level surface after they were warm and bumped up the setting to make sure we had ample stoppage power. I am sure my front breaks took a beating but never notices smell or smoke so I guess that is good thing when I was on any of the grades I encountered.

I was very thankful for a safe beautiful 1st trip pulling my 5th wheel.

THANK YOU FORUM for all your help with all my questions leading up to this event.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07523.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	21226  
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Good job. Everything begins with preparation. I am going on the same trip but a
lot shorter. Lodi to Bend Oregon.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat938g View Post
Good job. Everything begins with preparation. I am going on the same trip but a
lot shorter. Lodi to Bend Oregon.
Yes I agree the preparation I had done with having the pullrite superglide..as I have a short bed, and the new tires on the trailer really took the edge off of worry.

Have a safe trip and enjoy !!!!!!!!!!! I have been in WA for about two weeks now and at first the rainy city stood true to the reputation, but this last week has been incredible. 70 - 80 degree days and FULL SUN. I almost feel like I am in San Diego minus the palm trees. LOL.

I know the rain and clouds will return, but if I can have weeks like this it is well worth it. This State is amazingly beautiful. Looking forward to getting the Kayaks into the waterways here.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations on your first trip!

It's always nice to have all your maintenance done correctly so you don't have any issues 1st time out.

We are also doing almost the same trip. Taking our time getting there though.
Started from Riverside CA and will end up at Mt Rainier WA. by July 1st.

Looking forward to smelling the roses along the way.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5

We did the scienic route up the 101. Very winding but beautiful. We stayed on the 101 until Crecent City then cut over to 5 by way of Grant's Pass. If you want to avoid curves do not due Grant's pass.

If we would have taken the 60 to the 210 to the 5 up the grapevine it would have saved us much time, but we would have missed the beauty of the CA/OR coast.

I was paranoid about any grades we encountered along the way, but really there was not cause for alarm. The truck and 5th Wheel did just fine. We took it nice and slow. It took us 2.5 days and drove 8 hours each day.

Glad you are enjoying the same trip up to WA. The weather has been increable here.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #6

I am glad to hear you have had a good trip. You are getting exceptional mpg.

We are taking our maiden voyage with the whole family (wife and I and two english setters) this coming weekend on a trip to Missoula Montana. We have two mountain passes but I pulled them on the way home when I purchased the trailer last fall.

I had always wondered about 101 but have been fearful of driving a trailer along those roads. I have never personally been on them but heard they are very windy.

Where are you camped in Washington? It is a beautiful state. I live on the eastern side, tucked up against the Cascades.
KOTR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTR36 View Post

I had always wondered about 101 but have been fearful of driving a trailer along those roads. I have never personally been on them but heard they are very windy.
Working on building up my nerve to do this on the return trip. DW says "no way", but I'm thinking about taking a wrong turn.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Well if your wrong turn happens to get you into the dog house, once your spouse see's the beauty of the ocean and coast you may get back in good standing.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
Well after many months of preparation made my 1s trip 1200 miles North. Everything went off without a "hitch"....ha ha ha no pun intended.

My truck an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 4 speed auto pulled the 5th wheel as if nothing were behind us at all. I was amazed at the torque. You hear about it but until you experience it is hard to describe.

My weight was just under factory allowed for the rig and truck so did well there. I averaged 16 MPG and that included several 7% grades. I did not think that was bad seeing my combined 5thwheel and truck weight was 18,000 lbs.

My temperature gauges only rose 10 degrees when on the grades, otherwise dropped back to normal temps on the normal grade. I was very impressed with that.

Had the trailer brakes set a little higher than normal. I tested them on a level surface after they were warm and bumped up the setting to make sure we had ample stoppage power. I am sure my front breaks took a beating but never notices smell or smoke so I guess that is good thing when I was on any of the grades I encountered.

I was very thankful for a safe beautiful 1st trip pulling my 5th wheel.

THANK YOU FORUM for all your help with all my questions leading up to this event.
very nice rig. happy trailes.
lv2bgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #10

Thanks so much. We are now on the Kitsap Peninsula. The weather has been amazing. We have had more sun than rain the 2.5 weeks we have been here.

The locals say they have not had two very good summers in a row over th past couple of years, so here is my hope and request of the universe that we have the best summer and fall ever in the Puget Sound not only for us but for all the local folks.

This truly is an amazing beautiful place. Kayaking is on the agenda.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
WOW, our maiden voyage after teh 40 miles from the dealer was the driveway to get acclimated

good on you as we NEED to retire and see some of this beautiful country...
while we love north Texas and all the things to do and see, not the most scenic drives around here
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
WOW, our maiden voyage after the 40 miles from the dealer was the driveway to get acclimated

good on you as we NEED to retire and see some of this beautiful country...
while we love north Texas and all the things to do and see, not the most scenic drives around here
There are some extremely beautiful places to see via road. I am sure many other IRV people will give you plenty of states to see when you get the opportunity.

If you do get the chance to come to Northern CA, OR and WA you will not be sorry. The Red Woods, if you have never seen them will take your breath away. To know you are looking at trees that have been alive 1500 to 2000 years ago is amazing. And some are older than that.

The size is not describable. You just have to see and touch them and smell the forest floor air to understand what I am saying. The CA coast north of Ventura is absolutely breath taking. If you get the chance to stop by Bodega Bay north of San Francisco you can still see all the original land marks used in the Alfred Hitchcock Movie "The Birds" while some scenes in that move were re-created, you will still be able to see cameo shots of actual Bodega Bay that was used in that film.

I can't even tell you how beautiful Oregon is. The coast is rocky and beautiful. And WA well it only get even more spectacular when you see the Puget Sound and the islands. Then even farther north in British Columbia and Canada on up to Alaska they say is wonderful. It is a great place to visit in latter summer and fall. Try to make this part of the country one of your trips if possible.

Another beautiful place is Jackson Hole WY and Yellowstone. AMAZING. And as well try to stop in the Potato Capital of the world Idaho. Just as satisfying on the way to WY.

In time I want to work my way across America and down to the Florida Keys...yet another beautiful tropical place.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
So glad you are enjoying this part of the world! It is just beautiful up here but we pay with all the liquid sun that we get. LOL

Have you had a chance to go whale watching yet? Hope you do it amazing!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #14

Should have continued up Oregon coast to Coos bay then jump over to I-5, much easier. Most southern 20 miles of Oregon coast is a National Park. Spectacular scenery. Sounds like a great trip.
oldbeek is offline   Reply With Quote