Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Main breaker replacement Progressive Dynamics Power Center

I am considering the addition of a third AC unit in my rig. It was offered from the factory but my coach only came with 2 AC units. My first dilemma is that I have no open breaker slots in my Progressive Dynamics PD4590 Power Center. I may be able to solve this issue by replacing the main breaker which is a Siemens Q250 double pole 50 amp breaker with a Siemens Q22050CT which is a 50 amp double pole with two 20 amp single pole breakers on either side. Because the Q22050CT consists of 1/2" inch breakers is should physically fit into the same location as the Q250 which are 1" breakers.

Has anyone tried this breaker in their Progressive Dynamics Power Center? I contacted PD and they indicated that they had not heard of the Q22050CT breaker and could not give me an answer if it would fit although their literature indicates ITE/Siemens QP/OT breakers are compatible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens Q250.png
Views:	122
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	240475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens Q22050CT.png
Views:	134
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	240476  

Name:	PD4590 Power Center.png
Views:	142
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	240477  
Punks385RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

I think that's pretty slick. My concern is the third A/C unit is 240 volts and any circuit breaker protection must have bridged toggles so if a fault occurs both handles will trip and kill both hot feed conductors. It seems that the dual breakers aside the 50 amp center breakers cannot be bridged.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #3

If they say Siemens will be acceptable in their equiptment then that breaker should work just fine. And the 50 amp 2 pole breaker is handle tied. So should be no issue
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
I think that's pretty slick. My concern is the third A/C unit is 240 volts and any circuit breaker protection must have bridged toggles so if a fault occurs both handles will trip and kill both hot feed conductors. It seems that the dual breakers aside the 50 amp center breakers cannot be bridged.

CLIFFORD
If the OP sticks to a 15K BTU or less aren't they all 110V ? I'm more concerned about wire size & total current draw if all 3 running & maybe water heater on in electric mode also.
Just a thought, if AC 110 you will want to hook it on the 20 amp side of the bus as most rv 50 amp set up as split bus, 30 amp & 20amp side.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
If the OP sticks to a 15K BTU or less aren't they all 110V ? I'm more concerned about wire size & total current draw if all 3 running & maybe water heater on in electric mode also.
Just a thought, if AC 110 you will want to hook it on the 20 amp side of the bus as most rv 50 amp set up as split bus, 30 amp & 20amp side.
50 amp service is 240 volts, split 50 amps@120 volts per side.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

[emoji115]well said
Old 04-03-2019, 05:19 AM   #7

X2

clifford
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #8

Quote:

CLIFFORD
Although there is 240 volts at the main breaker, there is nothing in the RV that uses 240 volts. A/C's are 120 volts. FYI, if you look at that breaker you will see that both the 50's and the 20's are bridged. If that breaker can be installed,( I don't think it can. NEC rules apply here. There should be blocking tabs) then the 20 amp bridges will need to be removed so you can have two separate circuits.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:39 AM   #9

Quote:

CLIFFORD
There are quadplex versions that have both the inner pair and the outer pair connected via handle tie.

It says 120V on the Amazon site, but the handle-tied units, both triplex and quadplex, are 120/240V rated, according to the Siemens data sheet.

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q2205.../dp/B0052MBWD0

I'm not recommending that unit in particular. Just showing that quadplex versions are available, in all sizes.

As to backfeeding it as a main breaker, it's supposed to have a mechanical hold-down device, which may be able to be recycled from the existing 2-pole back-fed breaker.

Edit: cavie got there too fast. And as he said, if 120V is required for the A/C units, then breakers are available in triplex version, with only the middle pair handle tied. But I don't know if it's NEC compliant to backfeed a tri- or quadplex to serve as a main. Are there no other full-sized breakers that could be swapped for tandems or quads, especially low current circuits (to minimize heat in the breakers)? Or maybe install a separate small box with 50A 2-pole breaker to act as the main, and rededicate the panel to loads only.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Siemens q22050ct.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	240550  
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960C182 View Post
All 50 amp panels are 50 amp split buss. 50 amps per side. 240 volts at the main. Two 120 volt legs. 240 volt not accessible. I wish DIY's would stop giving out electric advice.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #11

I have not tried those breakers in a pd power center. I have used those breakers and others like them in many panels throughout the years. All that breaker does is add 2 more 20 amp circuit breakers. I do believe they make the same version except it wouldnt have the 2 20 amp breakers tied together. But even if they dont , as said before you would need to remove the handle tie between the 20 amp circuit breakers. I'm not understanding where the "backfeeding" comment is coming from (pictures are hard to see on my phone). If there is a 50 amp breaker in there all ready and it's a Siemens q series, then it should be no issue to replace it with another Siemens snap in breaker
Old 04-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
I have not tried those breakers in a pd power center. I have used those breakers and others like them in many panels throughout the years. All that breaker does is add 2 more 20 amp circuit breakers. I do believe they make the same version except it wouldnt have the 2 20 amp breakers tied together. But even if they dont , as said before you would need to remove the handle tie between the 20 amp circuit breakers. I'm not understanding where the "backfeeding" comment is coming from (pictures are hard to see on my phone). If there is a 50 amp breaker in there all ready and it's a Siemens q series, then it should be no issue to replace it with another Siemens snap in breaker
The backfeeding relates to the direction of current flow. Not all breakers can be reverse-fed

Main breakers flow current from incoming cables to the bus bars.
Standard breakers flow current from the bus bar to the outgoing cables.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

I very well could be wrong, but my understanding is a breaker or any other type of " dumb" switch does not care what side it is fed from. Amps are Amos, vets are volts. Transformers and breakers dont care where they get their voltage from. Should feed either way, but my issue is that there is a 2 pole 50 in place already so if he was to replace that with a 50 amp specialty breaker (with e 2 20s, takes up the same space) then nothing has changed other than adding the 2 20 amp breakers. What am I missing? Not trying to be rude, sarcastic or otherwise[emoji106]
Old 04-03-2019, 07:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
All 50 amp panels are 50 amp split buss. 50 amps per side. 240 volts at the main. Two 120 volt legs. 240 volt not accessible. I wish DIY's would stop giving out electric advice.
My 50amp has more spaces on one side than the other. will be out there & will see what brand.
Nothing in my 5er uses 240 .
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, breaker, power, replace, replacement