Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #1

I have just discovered major water damage on my floor for the third time...yup...third time. I had my roof totally sealed last year and yet again another leak. How can I find out definitely where the water is coming from? This is so frustrating. If I could afford it, I would just dump the trailer and buy a new one!

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #2

I have just discovered major water damage on my floor for the third time...yup...third time. I had my roof totally sealed last year and yet again another leak. How can I find out definitely where the water is coming from? This is so frustrating. If I could afford it, I would just dump the trailer and buy a new one!

Matthew
Ernhrts3n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #3

You need to find an RV repair shop that has one of these: leak tester
Larry202BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernhrts3n8:
I have just discovered major water damage on my floor for the third time...yup...third time. I had my roof totally sealed last year and yet again another leak. How can I find out definitely where the water is coming from? This is so frustrating. If I could afford it, I would just dump the trailer and buy a new one! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Wish you'd said where the water is located...We had the problem and found it was not the roof but coming from a slow leak under the kitchen sink an running under the cabinet into the living room carpet. Hubby had checked and rechecked and didn't find it so I got involved and detected a little moisture on a fitting and hose. Long story short, he repaired it and never again had a problem with it. Good luck!
Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #5

Another possible source (I know...they are endless) would be the seal at the roof mounted AC unit...I have had the seals around the compressor mounting go bad on an older C class and also had a slight leak in a much newer trailer because the unit mounting bolts were never tightened at the factory..(these are tightened from inside pulling the unit down on the roof) .
I would certainly check the most obvious things first such as water and drain lines that may be weeping and roof vents that may require resealing....it may become a process of eliminating all other possibilities before looking at the actual roof again. Just because water appears at one part of the unit don't assume that that is where it is entering...been there...done that....was wrong!!
Good luck in your search.
Ian
Old 10-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I'm not sure what type of trailer you have, or where the water leak appears. Leaks, as stated, are very deceiving. An example is on the 3400Rl that I had. DW found water in the cabinet between the stove and refrigerator. First thoughts are that the refrigerator was leaking, but that was far from what happened.

on the outside, where the refrigerator vent is, the big square thing with the two plastic thumb locks, the manufacturer dogged the frame down with wood screws. When tightening the screws on the bottom of the frame, it drew the frame down and slanted it in. Any water coming down around the frame would seep to the back instead of coming out down the side of the trailer. Pulling the screws out, they were rusty indicating water seepage.

The fix was to buy 1/2 inch aluminum angle iron at the hardware store, cut it to the length of the bottom of the frame, insert it under the frame, silicone the wood screws and reinsert, and silicone along the lip of the frame and the angle iron, along with a silicone dam at each end.

Never had another leak in that area.

Good luck in finding the leak.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernhrts3n8:
I have just discovered major water damage on my floor for the third time...yup...third time. I had my roof totally sealed last year and yet again another leak. How can I find out definitely where the water is coming from? This is so frustrating. If I could afford it, I would just dump the trailer and buy a new one! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but then I'm not so sure. We took delivery of our custom ordered Arctic Fox less than 30 days after the factory completed building it. After construction, the Northwood factory leak tests every coach using a similar device. Yet, when we took delivery, there was a water stain on the ceiling from a leak at the TV antenna. Maybe the tech was day dreaming instead of actually testing.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 AM   #8

There was a recent thread on another forum and the Op used a leaf blower and fabricated a plywood plate for one of the windows. Apparently it worked perfectly as there were several people who did the same thing. Much less expensive than paying someone to do in essence the same thing.