Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Making a gravel parking spot?

Hey all a friend of mine and I want to make a cheap, (really) cheap parking spot for our campers. My 27' fiver and his 30' bumper pull. I know fresh gravel is a pain in the a$$ to drive on so what tricks has anyone else done to make a spot? Thanks all

Ps. If there is a better spot for this topic will a MOD move it please? Thanks!!!
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
In our region, crushed limestone makes a good solid surface. The larger chunks get locked in by the finer and the dust. In other parts of the country, they use crushed granite that does the same thing. You'll have to put it down in layers (2-3" at a time) then tamp each layer with a vibrating plate tamper. Check with local stone yards, they can tell you what is available in your area.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
x2 on the limestone
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
In our region, crushed limestone makes a good solid surface. The larger chunks get locked in by the finer and the dust. In other parts of the country, they use crushed granite that does the same thing. You'll have to put it down in layers (2-3" at a time) then tamp each layer with a vibrating plate tamper. Check with local stone yards, they can tell you what is available in your area.
Thanks for the info. Total size will be probably close to 30x30'
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our ground is pretty much clay, I just put down a couple inches of 3/8" minus crushed rock. Been that way for over 20 years now although I should throw some new stuff on and build it up for our present rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

So just lay a few inches tamp and repeat?
Old 11-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
That usually is all it takes. Be sure to have a bit of slope or crown in the pad to aid in draining.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #8

For such a large area how would you advise we do it just dump it in one area and spread it out or dump in one area and then cart it to the next. It would be nice if we had some type of skid loader but we don't...
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If your going to have a dump truck bring it in they can spread it pretty close if you show them what you want. Crushed rock is what you want, not washed or round rock. Since you plan on leveling it up the old fashioned way, rake or shovel, I would not get any bigger that 5/8" minus. I have done it the old fashioned way many times. My neighbor loaned me his landscape rake, it is about 3' wide and makes leveling alittle easier, but it does pull harder! Good luck.
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJScepter View Post
If your going to have a dump truck bring it in they can spread it pretty close if you show them what you want. Crushed rock is what you want, not washed or round rock. Since you plan on leveling it up the old fashioned way, rake or shovel, I would not get any bigger that 5/8" minus. I have done it the old fashioned way many times. My neighbor loaned me his landscape rake, it is about 3' wide and makes leveling alittle easier, but it does pull harder! Good luck.
John G.
Thanks! General crushed rock is $6 a ton with $50 delivery. I wonder how many tons we will need
Old 11-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might I suggest putting plastic under the rock, so moisture will not seep upward thru the gravel. Some fabric underlayment on top of the plastic will help with keeping the sharp gravel from poking holes in the plastic.
For a gravel parking place this might not be necessary [I know, you said on the cheap] but if you ever think about putting a roof or shed on it then you will be glad it is already there.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DG - decomposed granite. I have a rear of our property driveway, garage/workshop parking apron, and RV parking pad all of DG that has been in place for several years. Hard, solid surface.

Decomposed Granite Driveway Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #13

Thanks for all the info guys!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #14

If you have top soil, you may want to remove it since the stone will just sink in. If you have clay put the stone right on it.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote