Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #43

The listed specs on that 37'-4" FW are 2,900 lbs for the pin weight and total dry wt. of 12,300 lbs. There's no way the OP's F250 can handle that IMO. The added payload in the truck from passengers, pets, groceries and camping stuff plus payload added to the trailer is going to put the payload on the truck up around 3,500 lbs. I'd like to know how an F250 can handle that. Then there's the question of the rear axle rating and GCWR. Don't have enough info on the truck to know to assess.

http://www.oconnorrv.com/brochures/c..._cameo_bro.pdf

The OP should determine his actual payload capacity by going to a scale and subtracting that weight from the GVWR. You will find the actual payload capacity to be less than what the door jamb sticker says. If the truck has factory options, including 4x4 (which it does), LB and super or extended cab, it's going to be less. Our F250's actual payload capacity is only 1800 lbs. If we were to tow that FW, we'd be at double the truck's payload capacity.

I don't see how a 3/4 ton is the same as a 1 ton. I'm always looking to learn and am interested to hear why the OP shouldn't upgrade to a 1 ton (or better). Ford lists the payload of an F350 SRW as something like 1500 lbs higher. But it looks like he needs a 1 ton DRW.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
First a 3/4 ton is the same truck as any one ton.
The gross combined weight is possibly the same.
Really????

2011 2500 LB CC 4x4 Diesel SRW - 7400# dry weight - 10k# GVWR
2011 3500 LB CC 4x4 Diesel DRW - 8900# dry weight - 13k# GVWR
So what your saying is that the trucks are the same and the additional 1,500# increase is solely do to the DRW??
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Really???? 2011 2500 LB CC 4x4 Diesel SRW - 7400# dry weight - 10k# GVWR 2011 3500 LB CC 4x4 Diesel DRW - 8900# dry weight - 13k# GVWR So what your saying is that the trucks are the same and the additional 1,500# increase is solely do to the DRW??
I'm glad somebody called out that bit of misinformation. That 3/4 vs 1 ton being the same seems to a common misleader on many forums and threads. Good job.
Heavyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #46

We just traded in our 2005 Alpine Limited Motor Home for a Holiday Rambler Presidential, (Washington model). We fulltimed in the motor home for 8 1/2 years, and the maintenance was becoming a bit costly, and it seemed that things were going south more frequently. We were just about to need new tires (about $500 per), and the synthetic transmission fluid needed replacing ($200 - $300), and the annual generator tune-up and engine maintenance were due soon (about $750).

Our main requirement was a residential refrigerator, as the chances of it catching fire would be significantly decreased. We found that the upper end 5ers, e.g. DRV Mobile Suites and HR Presidential did not give access to the bathroom when the slides were in, although DRV did tout a model that did so.

The Presidential has a raised liviing room floor so there is more storage underneath towards the rear of the RV, which is good and bad... one can probably overload it.

We also decided that this would probably be our last "home", and it is more practical to stay in one place for a long time in a 5er than in a motor home. It is more like an apartment... the wife didn't care for looking at the dash when she looked out the window.

There will be adjustments, and we already have a punch list of things to address, but that's true of any new RV... or house for that matter... it's just more inconvenient in an RV.

We're looking forward to participating in the fifth wheel community forum
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #47

Data for 2009, which is the year I'm familiar with, shows an increase in payload capacity from 2800 to 4200 lbs for an F350 SRW with reg. cab & LB. and then 5400 for a DRW. This is what published numbers say, but the physical difference as I understand may just be another leaf spring or two in a 1T SRW. I didn't think the jump for a DRW was that much?

http://http://www.fordf150.net/specs/05sd_specs.pdf
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
As a point for clarity, the 2500 weights are from my neighbor's truck - right off the Cat scale slip. The GVWR is from the sticker on the door frame. The 3500 is my old my truck and the weights are from the a Cat scale slip and the GVWR is off the door sticker.

If you look at that payload spec, the SRW will carry an additional 400# more than a DRW. That difference I believe is the weight difference between the SRW and DRW.

The extra 1k in weight must be in the bigger / heavier brakes, sway bars, springs and maybe frame upgrades. I don't really know.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
The listed specs on that 37'-4" FW are 2,900 lbs for the pin weight and total dry wt. of 12,300 lbs. There's no way the OP's F250 can handle that IMO. The added payload in the truck from passengers, pets, groceries and camping stuff plus payload added to the trailer is going to put the payload on the truck up around 3,500 lbs. I'd like to know how an F250 can handle that. Then there's the question of the rear axle rating and GCWR. Don't have enough info on the truck to know to assess.

http://www.oconnorrv.com/brochures/c..._cameo_bro.pdf

The OP should determine his actual payload capacity by going to a scale and subtracting that weight from the GVWR. You will find the actual payload capacity to be less than what the door jamb sticker says. If the truck has factory options, including 4x4 (which it does), LB and super or extended cab, it's going to be less. Our F250's actual payload capacity is only 1800 lbs. If we were to tow that FW, we'd be at double the truck's payload capacity.

I don't see how a 3/4 ton is the same as a 1 ton. I'm always looking to learn and am interested to hear why the OP shouldn't upgrade to a 1 ton (or better). Ford lists the payload of an F350 SRW as something like 1500 lbs higher. But it looks like he needs a 1 ton DRW.
Shoot, newer f150s have 1800 payload, haha! You must have an older one. New single rear wheel 3/4 is rated for that payload and towing, even the gasser.
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #50

We have a Lifestyle 37IK and can access the bathroom with the kitchen slide in. It is not a full hallway, maybe about half in width but very accessible. This too was a concern of our when selecting the 5er.
captainchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #51

We also have access to bathroom, fridge and 1/2 the pantry with the slides in. Sure makes it nice for pit stops and a quick lunch.
Heavyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #52

My ex half ton pulled my 28 foot 5th wheel about 25 miles up hill on a good day and about 6 miles to the galleon a month latter we were at the dealership getting a monster truck a Ford 350 diesel. Hey I do things different we bought the truck for the 5th wheel lol. But we have never been happier I have to look back to make sure the 5th wheel is still attached cause its real smooth
Aida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM   #53

What about an F250 diesel with a towing package? I have had two SRW F250s that came with the package.

When I went to change u-joints the 3/4 ton u-joints would not work. Both had 1 ton driveshafts and rear axles.

Is a 1 ton actually a beefed up 3/4 ton?
Rolfsted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel