Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #15

Randalf,
Help us out with a little more info on your trailer and current tire size, please.
If 12500 is the gross weight rating, the pin weight should be about 2500, leaving 10000 on the tires. What is the current tire rated for?

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #16

N the drivers widen th

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I have never seen a single report of a blowout of an E-rated Maxxis 8008. However since you apparently have can you provide some links? After Or even a single link?
It might helps if you went to a dealer and asked them if they would guarantee that you would never have a blowout and that if of you did will they pay for all damages. Then ask them if they have ever had a customer experience a blowout and they will tell you yes there have been instances across the country. The fellow next to me with a big 5th wheel had the second tire on the drivers side back develop a large blister and damaged the side. Not a blowout but still damage. Should I have him call you? There is no perfect product and to pretend there is is just silly.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
It might helps if you went to a dealer and asked them if they would guarantee that you would never have a blowout and that if of you did will they pay for all damages. Then ask them if they have ever had a customer experience a blowout and they will tell you yes there have been instances across the country. The fellow next to me with a big 5th wheel had the second tire on the drivers side back develop a large blister and damaged the side. Not a blowout but still damage. Should I have him call you? There is no perfect product and to pretend there is is just silly.
Of course no one said that any product is perfect, Maxxis or Michelin or anything else. What is being said is that the E-rated M8008 has an excellent service record, and it does. The Michelin Rib is another tire with a good service record but there is no data to support the notion that it is necessarily a better investment (cost-effectiveness, safety, etc.) than the M8008 in all cases.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
There is no perfect product and to pretend there is is just silly.
I don't think anyone expects a tire that won't blow out. We just expect tires that won't fail under normal operating conditions and rated load with significant frequency... which doesnt seem to be the case for many of the "branded" China tires.

Most manufacturers refer to "vendor" warranties for things in the RV. Sure, Tow Max may be responsible for the repair cost of replacing the tires - which is what? $80 each? Some people may have luck getting them to repair the subsequent damage, but you'll need to be able to at least show that the failure was caused by a defect, not something in the road, and often there isn't enough left of these tires to make that claim.

I consider good tires to be both financial and vacation insurance.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #19

Wingnut, my Chaparral came from the dealership with Constancy LY188 ST285/80/R16 tires. They are E rated. My poor old eyes had trouble reading the load capacity, but I think it says 1400 kilos = 3090 lbs at 80 psi. It looks like the Maxxis would give me some extra sidewall strength with their 3420 lb capacity at 80 psi.

The brochure for the Chaparral 336TSIK says the UVW is 10460 lbs, with a CCC of 1760, and a GVWR of 12200. The hitch weight is listed at 1880. However, the sticker on the pin box says the actual as-built dry weight is 11010 lbs, and the GVWR remains at 12200, so the CCC is reduced accordingly to 1190 lbs. We will be traveling light with dry tanks, and we haven't made any "heavy" upgrades like adding batteries or a generator.

The manager of our locally owned tire shop recommended the Maxxis, and said he's been selling them for over 20 years and hasn't had any problems with them, but has had trouble with Goodyear and other brands. While I've been dealing with this shop for over 20 years myself, I decided to buy at Discount Tire because they are nationwide, just in case I have problems on the road. The guy there immediately started pushing the Tow Max tires, saying that they are great, and while Maxxis 8008 were special order tires, they had 73 of the Tow Max tires on hand because they are so popular, and oh so inexpensive, too. That sounded too good to be true, hence my initial post here.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #20

I tried to edit that last post, but it didn't "take". Actually, the Discount Tire guy was pushing Hartland E-rated tires, not Tow Max. He said they were fairly new to the market, fully warranted, and only $115.00 each, mounted and balanced. A full set of Maxxis 8008's will run a little under $800.00.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
I tried to edit that last post, but it didn't "take". Actually, the Discount Tire guy was pushing Hartland E-rated tires, not Tow Max. He said they were fairly new to the market, fully warranted, and only $115.00 each, mounted and balanced. A full set of Maxxis 8008's will run a little under $800.00.
How much will blown off undercarriage, siding and wiring run you?
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #22

Little under $800 for Maxxis is a might bit steep. Here you can get a set of four Maxxis 8008 LR E for $455.96 Catalog
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #23

randalf,
Just trying to help--your trailer has a gross wt of 12200--that means the pin weight should be around 2500 (20% of 12200 +/-) which leaves about 9700lbs on the axles/tires.
Your tires should be good for 4x3090=12360lbs. 12360 - 9700 = 2660/4 = 665lbs/tire overcapacity. 665/3090 = 21.5% overcapacity. This a very good figure and should lead to long tire life. Hope my math is correct....
I think I would opt to try the trip with the current tires and keep them at 80psi, before arbitrarily changing them out.
If you do change them now, or later, the Maxxis will be a good choice--stay away from TowMax. Dealing with Discount Tire should give you some backup--ask them what they will do if one blows and damages the trailer? They do offer some type of insurance policy as an extra cost option, but not sure just what it covers.
Whatever you end up doing, now or later, keep the 20% overcapacity in mind--that will keep your tire problems to a minimum.
Joe
Old 05-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #24

Thanks all,

I've towed my fifth wheel about 350 miles so far, 50 miles from the dealership to the house, and 300 miles round trip to Del Rio TX. I couldn't find a tire gauge before we left for Del Rio, but we had recently purchased the fifth wheel and I counted on the dealership to have prepared it properly. I bought a gauge in Del Rio and found three tires were dangerously under-inflated-- like at 45 - 60 psi. We towed at 55-60 mph and it pulled very nicely. I don't know whether running those tires at low pressure for 200 miles did any internal damage, but they never felt hot when I stopped to check them.

Regardless, Wingnut, I think I will go ahead and buy the Maxxis just for the peace of mind. I like the 21.5% over-capacity of the current tires, but no one knows anything about Constancy tires, and Maxxis have a generally good reputation. Plus, with their 3420 load capacity, I'll have 995 lbs/29% overcapacity!

MnTom, I'll check around for the best prices. I know the price I was quoted was under $200 a piece, but I don't remember by how much.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #25

I just started a new thread re: Hartland tires. I went to Discount today to buy the Maxxis, and the manager offered me Hartland 235/85/R16s for the same price, and they are all steel, G-rated, instead of E-rated like the Maxxis. The Maxxis have a load capacity of 3420 at 80 psi, and the Hartlands are 4000 at 110 psi.

I also had him order me aluminum wheels rated for 110 pounds. They will arrive in a couple of days so I have a little while to make up my feeble mind. I started a new thread so that I could cast as wide a net as possible for opinions and info before I make my final decision. As I said in the new thread, my big concerns were whether the Hartland is just too much tire for a 12,000 lb fifth wheel. Will it make the ride too stiff, and hard on the other components? Will the larger diameter and heavier weight make the trailer slower to stop?

As Wingnut pointed out, the factory tires already have a 665 lb/21.5% overcapacity, and new Maxxis would give me 995/29% overcapacity. Am I just getting stupid by thinking about the Hartland G-rated tires? If I did the math correctly, they would give me an overcapacity of 1575/39%! Am I being ridiculous here?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #26

I would not be concerned about 'too much tire' and a stiffer ride--you can always run them at less then max pressure. If you get them, experiment a little starting at 110, then take them down to 95 in 5psi increments---see if you can perceive any difference.
The only negative to a 110psi tire, in my opinion, is not having ready access to that much compressor psi to add air, unless you have your own and it is a quality unit. Since I have a gen onboard, I carry a Porter-Cable pancake compressor for the 120psi Sailuns.
Or, just put the Maxxis on the new wheels and start thinking about good you will feel towing in the Texas heat.
Darn, new wheels/new tires--way to go!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #27

Wingnut, I'm a scuba diver, so I'll be carrying one or two 80 cu ft scuba tanks jammed to 3000 psi. The first stage on the regulator drops that pressure to about 140 psi, and the hoses use standard quick releases, so regular tire inflators fit them. Been doing that for years.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #28

Learn something every day on these forums. Thanks.
Good luck which ever way you go on the tires, the peace of mind is priceless.
But then, more $$$--need to think about Tire Pressure Monitor Systems--the cost of RVing in comfort and safety never ends.
Joe

Tags
tires