Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Maxxis 8008 tires?

Hi all,

I've read many threads on this and other sites regarding the best tires for fifth wheels. Right now I can't justify the expense of new high-pressure wheels and Goodyear G614s or 114s. We are getting ready for our first road trip (Central TX to Ruidoso NM) in our new 36' Coachmen Chaparral, and we're close to crunch time. Will Maxxis 8008 tires be a significant (but economical) upgrade over our factory issue China bombs? Our trailer is only 12500 pounds fully loaded, and we will be towing at 60 mph.

Thanks,

Randall
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #2

Yes. Air them up to max cold PSI stated on sidewall and drive with confidence.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

I have read nothing but positives on the Maxxis tires and tried to get for my 5th wheel. Was not available in my area so I went with 14 ply Sailun tires and very happy.

American made does not mean good.

Reviews for both Sailun and Maxxis are excellent and cost is significantly lower
emuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #4

The first thing I did on our new 2016 Cougar 5th wheel was put a set of Maxxis 8008 tires on it. We just got back from our first big trip out west, 2600 miles and I love them ! I upgraded from D to E load. Ours has 15" wheels. And yes I ran a bit more than 60 mph as alot was interstate. So far a good move on those tires. Too many horror stories about china bombs (here and from freinds) tearing up your coach. Oh ya, our 5th weighs just shy of 10K lbs.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #5

Bite the bullet now and get Michelin Ribs. The best tire out there, much more durable than the Maxxis. People who have Maxxis on their trailer still experience blow outs just like other brands.
It doesn't' take much damage from a separating tire to more than pay for the Michelins.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Maxxis are good tires.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I bought some new Maaxis tires for my Alaska trip. The china bombs that came with the 26' rv trailer started showing checking after the 3rd season. The Maaxis are made in Taiwan. There are NO American made RV tires period !!

So far two short weekend trips and I like the way they handle. Didn't seem to "bounce" as much. I know the Maaxis advertised better gas mileage, and I did notice better mileage, but those were short trips. Time will tell, Alaska will be a loooooong trip.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Maxxis 8008's were our initial choice with our old 80 psi rims. I haven't read anything bad about them but a bunch of happy campers who did buy them. We ultimately bit the bullet, contacted trailertiresandwheels.com and bought the 6 bolt high pressure rims and Sailun S637 235/80R16 G Rated 14 ply. They were shipped to us mounted and balanced with HP steel valve stems read to mount. The Sailun tires were actually a bit cheaper than the Maxxis 8008's.
You only buy the rims once. Buy once, cry once. Our 5ver is slightly heavier than yours but not by much.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #9

Your Maxxis tires should be a good pick, and they'll do you a good job. They're not inexpensive, however.

I went with the Bridgestone Duravis R250's--from Costco @ $197 each. They're equal to the Michelin ribbed tires in quality for slightly less money. And the quality difference between them and my OEM Westlakes is significant--with another 20 lbs. per tire and 1" thick sidewalls.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #10

On my last fiver, I 'upgraded' to 8008's and at 3-1/2 yrs per date code, they failed pretty catastrophically. Luckily, one tire lost air pressure and alerted me to the problem, others started tread separation and ballooned in size rubbing on the fender skirt and trailer floor. On the road, I was forced to buy what was available. Fortunately I sold the trailer 6 months later.

On my current unit, I switched to LT's. 4 yrs and 15k miles later, the LT's are doing great.

So while the 8008s may have great ratings, even they can have problems.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
We went with Michelin Ribs after one of our chinese bombs delaminated.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Bite the bullet now and get Michelin Ribs. The best tire out there, much more durable than the Maxxis. People who have Maxxis on their trailer still experience blow outs just like other brands.
It doesn't' take much damage from a separating tire to more than pay for the Michelins.
Maxxis tires have a good reputation. I'd consider for an OEM tire upgrade.

The other tire that I like (and I bought) are the Saulin's - they're a tire designed like the Michellin rib, steel belted, heavy, lots of tread. Mine weighed about twice what the factory china bombs did...

You can't go wrong with either.

As always - make sure your wheels and valve stems are rated for the appropriate pressure if required by the new tires.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
People who have Maxxis on their trailer still experience blow outs just like other brands.
I have never seen a single report of a blowout of an E-rated Maxxis 8008. However since you apparently have can you provide some links? Or even a single link?
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #14

I replaced the Blow Max tires on my 10K fiver at the beginning of the second season and went from D-Rated to Maxxis 8008 E-Rated tires. We are starting the fourth season on them and over 20,000 miles with no problems. Well recommended.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires