Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #1

Maxxis 8008s - Time to Replace

After the first year, I replaced my chinese tires with Maxxis 8008 and upgraded them from load range D to E. 4 years and 25000 miles later, it is time to replace them as the belts are failing on one. Let me explain that. Last September in Utah, I pulled into a rest area 40 miles from where we spent the night and did a walk around. I found smoke pouring from the left rear wheel. The bearings had failed and damaged the spline. The tire was very hot and that is the one that is failing so it didn't owe us much. It bulges in the middle of the tread. I will replace with 4 more Maxxis 8008s from Amazon.
BTW, if I had done my walk around the previous night when we pulled into the campground, I would have found the bearing hot and could have replaced it with the axle being ruined.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #2

BS on the 25,000 miles. No way ST tires can go that far. At least according to all the ST tire haters. Haha.
Just kidding. That's pretty impressive mileage. I just put 4 new Carlisle HD tires on my 5er. I also went from D to E. Don't have enough miles on them to evaluate. If I get 15-20,000 I'd be happy. That would be about 4-5 years worth of traveling.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Direct Tire Discount has them for a couple bucks cheaper than Amazon, and yesterday and today if you order 4 you receive a visa gift card for 100.00 bucks. Great Deal !!!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Cougar Xlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
BS on the 25,000 miles. No way ST tires can go that far. At least according to all the ST tire haters. Haha.
Just kidding. That's pretty impressive mileage. I just put 4 new Carlisle HD tires on my 5er. I also went from D to E. Don't have enough miles on them to evaluate. If I get 15-20,000 I'd be happy. That would be about 4-5 years worth of traveling.
We're not ST tire haters. But we very much dislike the fact that North American tire companies that have abandoned the ST tire retail market. It's a quite large market with RV's, Marine and horse/stock trailers--over a million tires a year.

There are just a few tires available that worth putting on trailers being made overseas. Maxxis M8008's are good. Kumho 857's used to be fine, but many recent failures have been noted on 14" boat trailers.

This is a very serious subject. There are just too many tire failures doing too much damage to RV's and trailers. And it's a wonder that more accidents are not taking lives of owners and other drivers when tires fail.

While many RV owners are going to Bridgestone, Michelin and Goodyear LT tires, I've yet to hear of any complaints on the performance of their tires. I've also never heard a complaint on any Sailun G rated tires--a great $150 value.

You just wouldn't believe the construction superiority of my LT/E tire vs. the Westlakes that I took off my 36' fifth wheel trailer. The NHTSA should be ashamed of themselves for letting ST tire manufacturers spec. their tires for such heavy pounds of capability. The guts are just not there.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
But we very much dislike the fact that North American tire companies that have abandoned the ST tire retail market. It's a quite large market with RV's, Marine and horse/stock trailers--over a million tires a year.
At one time all ST tires were made in the USA as were other niche tires like agriculture tires..... heavy equipment tires/etc by our domestic tire makers.

Most discontinued their ST tire lines but 2-3 sent all their niche production out of the USA.

Niche tire market is small market compared to the big picture.
I ,found this on Tireman9 rvtiresafety.com blog...

Lt vs st production numbers....tireman9 ....rvtiresafety.com

In 2014 there were about 310,000 trailer sales. A majority of these came with ST type tires and some with LT type tires. While I could not find specific figures I believe that almost all ST type tires were imports. I would estimate this represents almost 1 Mil. OE tire sales.

In the US there were about 7.6 Mil cars and 8.7 Mil light trucks and 400 thousand heavy trucks produced in 2014. There were about 253 Mil. passenger tires plus 33.6 Mil. LT tires and 23.1 MIl medium and heavy truck tires sold at replacement and OE. ** end of quote**
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

I wouldn't have a problem with LT tires if I could find some rated enough for my TH, current tires are ST 235/80 R16 load range E with a 3520lb load limit. I don't want to go anything less than that and I would actually like to go more, I would like to find a F or G rated tire which I have not found in 16" LT tire.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with LT tires if I could find some rated enough for my TH, current tires are ST 235/80 R16 load range E with a 3520lb load limit. I don't want to go anything less than that and I would actually like to go more, I would like to find a F or G rated tire which I have not found in 16" LT tire.

Go weigh the thing wheel by wheel, not just axle load. Full fresh water, propane and loaded for a trip. A reserve of 12-15% is adequate once you've found tire with the greatest load on it.

Otherwise an LT-E load range 123.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace