Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Michelin tires should last longer then 5 years.
On their web site they say up to 10 years.
You are only 1/2 way there.
That's what I read.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #16

Njs42 ---can u tell me wfere u got the $2525 price? I need exactly the same thing but cant find near that good of price. Anyonle else have a good price?
Larrydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #17

What size tire are you using on the Cameo? I have 2007 Cameo 35SB3 and am having trouble with tires. I had 2 tires blow out on my last trip. Those tires were not old and had no cracks with plenty of tread left. I had between 75 and 80 psi in the tires. They were Goodyear Marathon tires. I need to find out why these tires don't last more than 4 or 5000 miles. One blow-out caused significant damage.
Thmcm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrydan View Post
Njs42 ---can u tell me wfere u got the $2525 price? I need exactly the same thing but cant find near that good of price. Anyonle else have a good price?

MY local Costco has them---a qualifier----at first they said they could handle the tire---then they said they could not-----I went back to the tire shop and talked at length to the manager and looked at all their equipment, spent time talking about my rig the manager on duty said he could handle the tires----so I'm going to be there when they do they work--- the price has been quoted twice over a two month time span.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
In 2006 I got four Michelins XPS RIBS for our fiver the cost out the door was $800. In Jan. 2010 traded our old fiver in for the Cameo we now have but not the tires. The tires on the Cameo were from Chinia and I wanted nothing to do with them. Now the tires are five years old and the price is now $1350. I was expecting to pay more , but not this much.
Your "new" 5er has a GVWR of 15,000 pounds. When loaded for a long trip, it will have around 3,100 pounds on each trailer tire. The biggest Michelin XPS Rib is LT235/85R16E or LT245/75R16E, with 3,042 pounds max load @ 80 PSI. Great tire, but not enough weight capacity for your heavy 5er.

Michelin makes cheap tires, good tires, really good tires, and great tires. The XPS Rib is one of the great tires - and the cost should hint that it's not an ordinary tire. Don't expect other Michelin tires to be as good as the XPS. But since Michelin doesn't make an XPS for your trailer, you are forced to find a different tire.

3,100 pounds weight on each tire plus 25% safety factor = 3,875. So for your trailer I'd want tires that have a weight capacity of way over 3,100 pounds, and preferably close to 3,875 pounds or more. If your rims are 16" diameter, that probably means you'll have to look at tires with G or H load range. Check the size of tires that are on there now, and look for tires at least Plus 1 size larger, and load range G or H.

For example, Maxxis UR-275 in size 8.25R16 has 3,970 weight capacity with 14-ply rating (= H load range). I've had excellent service from Maxxis tires on my trailers. I can get them at Discount Tire, but they usually don't have them in stock so I have to order them.
Maxxis UR-275
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The problem with the 10 years on the site is that between 5 years and all the way out to 10 years, the failure rate is statistically "acceptable" per their accepted standards. This failure may be acceptable to an engineer that does not own your RV, a tire failure may be devastating or at least very expensive.

They have failure rate based on age and mileage available to them. It would be very interesting to see how the failure rate increases as the tires pass 5, 6 and 7 years. I would not want to be part of that increased rate.

We had Michelin RV tires on a motorhome and 6 years we had 3 fail over a period of about 6 months. At that time we went to Bridgestone which is another good RV tire.

Ken
Ours are 8 years old and have no signs of aging, cracking or losing tread. They are covered when we aren't on the road and that's the only thing I do to them other than to make sure they are properly inflated. I am lucky with them and in my brakes in that I never had any problem with the brakes either when many were. Needless to say however, I had them changed out when the recall came about. I figure I'm overdue for the black cloud overhead as the only problem I've really had with my MH in a little over seven years is the WeatherPro awning which was never properly installed and is a PITA anyway. Keeping the MH maintained has been one of the smartest things I've ever done.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Aren't any of you aware of the FMCA/Michelin tire deal??? If not you should become aware of it.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #22

diandtom
The XPS Ribs are without a doubt tops for heavy trailer use.
The Bridgestone Duravis R-250 is a commercial grade 16" LT E all steel ply carcass just like the ribs. Folks report they are lower in price. Might check them out as they are very popular with commercial haulers on those heavy flatdeck trailers.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thmcm7
The Marathons are #2 in tire complaints on NHTSA webs site. Your story sounds typical of many Marathon users on trailer that big.
If your trailer has 6k axle or smaller the 16" LT E will give you many years of trouble free service.

If your trailer has 7k axles many folks upgrade to 17.5" wheels and commercial grade LT F or H load range tires.

Heavy trailer with ST tires and interstate speeds is simply not a good long term mix. Now if your trailer is a lighter weight unit then a ST may work .

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote