Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Michelin tire cost

In 2006 I got four Michelins XPS RIBS for our fiver the cost out the door was $800. In Jan. 2010 traded our old fiver in for the Cameo we now have but not the tires. The tires on the Cameo were from Chinia and I wanted nothing to do with them. Now the tires are five years old and the price is now $1350. I was expecting to pay more , but not this much.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

Really makes you wonder if you really DO "get what you pay for", doesn't it!

I really like - and prefer - Michelins, but in all honesty, have had NO issues with any of the several (much cheaper!) Asian brands I have and am still using on our vehicles...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelin tires should last longer then 5 years.
On their web site they say up to 10 years.
You are only 1/2 way there.

Is all the tread gone on them?
Sidewall cracked bad on them?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Michelin tires should last longer then 5 years.
On their web site they say up to 10 years.
You are only 1/2 way there.

Is all the tread gone on them?
Sidewall cracked bad on them?
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the 10 years on the site is that between 5 years and all the way out to 10 years, the failure rate is statistically "acceptable" per their accepted standards. This failure may be acceptable to an engineer that does not own your RV, a tire failure may be devastating or at least very expensive.

They have failure rate based on age and mileage available to them. It would be very interesting to see how the failure rate increases as the tires pass 5, 6 and 7 years. I would not want to be part of that increased rate.

We had Michelin RV tires on a motorhome and 6 years we had 3 fail over a period of about 6 months. At that time we went to Bridgestone which is another good RV tire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
They are showing cracks in the sidewall near the rim. The tread is almost like new and they have a lot of miles on them. I got Michelins on my pickup also and this week while pulling my boat one of them got a bulge in the sidewall and had to be replaced at a cost of $250. This tire had 50,000 miles on it, but still had good tread.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I replaced our Michelins, dated 4701, last September even though they still looked pretty good. Had some cracks but had never had a flat and I know for a fact that the fronts were run underpressure for many, many miles. In fact Michelin put it in writing on their letterhead that they could be run 5 psi lower than the weight/pressure charts called for. The chart called for 125 psi but my wheels would only take 120. I ran them that way from 2004 to 2010 with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandtom View Post
In 2006 I got four Michelins XPS RIBS for our fiver the cost out the door was $800. In Jan. 2010 traded our old fiver in for the Cameo we now have but not the tires. The tires on the Cameo were from Chinia and I wanted nothing to do with them. Now the tires are five years old and the price is now $1350. I was expecting to pay more , but not this much.
In Sept 2010 I paid just over $600 each for the front 305/70 22.5's and about $512 each for the four rear 275/70 22.5's.
I tried to get Continental's, and even though they showed a 305/70 in their catalog they had not yet been brought to market. I didn't have room for a 295/80 so Michelin was the only manufacturer to make the tire our rig required. Although I probably would have gone with Michelins anyway due to the lack of problems I've had with them over the last almost 50 years. The 305/70 is made to replace a 275/70 when clearance is an issue like on our rig. They were originally intended for car carriers where front overloading is a problem according to the literature.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
i ordered michelin tires last week. his price was to go up $45 per tires next week. maybe he told me that to get me to buy now. if he did, it worked. since i was buying 5 tires, and $ 225 does me better in my pocket than his. but that certainly is a big jump in price; a lot more than i was facing.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
i ordered michelin tires last week. his price was to go up $45 per tires next week. maybe he told me that to get me to buy now. if he did, it worked. since i was buying 5 tires, and $ 225 does me better in my pocket than his. but that certainly is a big jump in price; a lot more than i was facing.
I don't think the tire cost are going to go down anytime soon. I am thinking about buying another tire for the rear and replacing all four on the fiver. This will run around $1600
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If a person has a bad experience with a tire they seem to become an expert on that "brand" of tire.

My Michelins XRV"s 1002 DOT will be replaced this year (soon) because it is time---they have preformed flawlessly-----they are not cracked and have plenty of tread after 45000 miles of use.

The fact is that tire brands all have millions of tires running down the road and absorbing abuse successfully and without incident.

I'm not a Michelin loyalist, or Goodyear, or Toyo etc; but I just know the six Michelins I have on my rig have done what I expect of a tire (carried me safely and trouble free for many miles over a nine year time span). In turn I have cared for my tires and kept them aired properly, been conscious of the weight they bear, cleaned and covered.

So I am going back with Michelins because I have found a good price, because my past experience is good and because they have this weird sizing and I do not want to change the size since all has worked fine for me in the past.

I can get Toyos a bit cheaper with equal but Goodyears are priced completely out of sight and I need to change size.

$2,525. out the door (includes 9.8% tax) for six XRV's 235/80-22.5 spin balanced, nitrogen filled.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used Michelins on ALL the trucks I've ever owned;(5) and have them on the RV. XPS Ribs.
ALL have performed flawlessly!
The ribs are 6 y.o. this year and I will replace them next season. They look like the day I purchased them.
I had XLT's on my Silverado for 10 years and just recently bought new.
150,000 miles on them and they still looked new.
Just put new XLT 2's on the dually and the ride difference is amazing compared to the ride with the OEM Continentals.
They are pricey; but so is the consequences of having a tire failure.
I'd buy Michelins again and never look back.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #13

I have OEM 265/75 Michelins on the front of my Dodge/Cummins - 70K miles, still good tread left, and the DOT date is '01. Getting hairline cracks in the sidewalls, will replace them with Les Schwab TOYO Open Country 285/75's to match the TOYOs on the rear, only because sometimes I tow a 5er, and the TOYOs are the only locally available tires in that size I can get in load range E...

The TOYOs have some BIG shoes to fill!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

Weigh your RV. IMHO: Put American or European made tires on to carry 125% of that weight. You will have strong tires that will not blowout like most RV tires do now because they are not strong enough to hold up under the stresses put on them.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote