Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #43

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Did not do as well on the way back 10.5 mpg
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #44

All said it is a fact Diesels get better mpg than gas motor's,,, but cost more... Your call.... I choose to have the pleasure of going up and down hills,,, A short trip truck only last week,,, half stop light, half highway was 20.6 mpg... No prob here... Better than my Grand Cherokee got....

11.9 MPG running 70 mph Plus several hundred miles on small two lane roads,,,, with our 5vr...2700+ miles on that trip... I'm a happy camper !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishalaska1 View Post
No it doesnt matter but was just wondering if I was in the ball park with 11 mpg.
You are
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #46

I am getting 11 mpg towing a 13,000 lb fifth wheel. All east of the Mississippi so far. 20 mpg empty.

Only 3,000 miles on the truck so far. I am hoping it gets better with break in.

2017 F350 6.7L SB CC 3.31 axle ratio.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
All said it is a fact Diesels get better mpg than gas motor's,,, but cost more... Your call.... I choose to have the pleasure of going up and down hills,,, A short trip truck only last week,,, half stop light, half highway was 20.6 mpg... No prob here... Better than my Grand Cherokee got....

11.9 MPG running 70 mph Plus several hundred miles on small two lane roads,,,, with our 5vr...2700+ miles on that trip... I'm a happy camper !!!
towing heavy loads for sure ;;running empty not really I have the 5.3 chevy and it gets 23-24 mpg highway
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
Ok got 10.9 mpg today going 328 miles in 6 hours and 48 minutes. Will post exactly how much fuel I put in tomorrow when I top off and add it to what I put in on the way up

(Extra long post)

Another piece of the MPG puzzle is average mph. Not travel speed, but time from one point to another not including stops.

In this example it's 48-mph. For sake of argument let's assume there was no extended idle time. It was simply a route that featured slow roads.

On a trip of around 300-miles there is no "time savings" running faster than 58-62/mph. This includes Interstate.

I had a run starting in Fort Worth that would end at our Atlanta yard. Two days on IH20. Though I didn't plan it this way, it wound up being right at 400-miles each day. My cruise control set speed is a GPS-corrected 68-mph.

My average speed both days was 56-mph. Traffic, construction and the rest.
The two days drives were within five miles and three minutes.

With an RV keeping it below 65-mph keeps one well away from truck traffic governed at 65, and today's idiot car drivers running 70+.

Aerodynamic resistance shots skyward at 60-mph. A solo empty pickup can't stop or maneuver worth beans above 65. And peripheral vision narrows substantially near 70.

Under 65 means fewer lane changes. Less wind effect. Rarely running up on other traffic and having to brake. Reduced tire heat and reduced chassis stresses. Far better braking performance.

And a travel speed that is closer to average mph will show substantially less wasted fuel in acceleration and deceleration events.

All are welcome to read white papers published by Cummins and Kenworth the last ten years on fuel economy. Some of what I've written is implied.

Fuel economy, longevity, reliability and safety are pretty much all on the same page. Those papers note that the difference between drivers doing the exact same work is as much as 30%.

Guess which rig will last longest. It is what is meant by "driving smart".

MPG is one of several ways of estimating vehicle wear. Tire and brake life are others. A high average mph (total engine hours divided into total odometer miles) is beneficial. But it's not the same as high travel speed.

Some would rather buy another $120k in vehicles every 5-6 years and try to call huge depreciation losses normal. Some other would rather the TV last 15-years and the RV indefinitely.

Average mph is a clue about what works.

Some roads are slow and exact a penalty in stop and go plus traffic. That can be offset by a better choice of travel speed on the Interstate another day.

Travel in metro areas, solo, is where a great deal of improvement can be made. Can genuinely offset towing expense. Can literally underwrite towing with right attitude, planning and some skill acquisition.

Vehicle life average mph under 27 is cause for change. 30-35 is ideal. At 35-mph these light or medium duty diesels are about a 10,000-hour life before overhaul. Under 27-mph won't come close to that.

As to "flowing with traffic" and other childish excuses, don't even try.

The OPs question of what is the normal range in MPG needs to take in mind driver motivation. It's very low among RVers. Thus what matters more in making MPG comparisons is first vehicle spec. Then climate. Third is terrain.

Given a longer TV life, a percentage improvement to ANNUAL MPG -- and attention to average mph -- is the winning combination to a reduced per night expense aboard the RV for fuel.

What is the vacation expense? Total cost of the RV including finance, depreciation, fuel and ground rental, etc. Higher cost of tow vehicle versus a better choice for solo (someone without IRS deductible business mile s in using a 1T pickup). Factored into the number of nights aboard per year.

Reduction in fuel cost pays best with longest life of both vehicles. And how to best get them down the road.

So the easier way to find out what is "normal " is to conduct ones own test. Head out solo to the Interstate and fill up about 30-miles from home. Run a round trip on cruise control at 60-mph for 100-miles back to that same pump. Fill to to first click off both times.

The percentage change from solo to towing is the answer. Not the absolute number. 40% penalty in 1966 with a Ford Country Squire or in 2016 with a Ford Flex pulling the same travel trailer is an accurate rule of thumb.

Run out of town on the next vacation the same way. Fill up after majority of warmup at 45-miles. Fill up again the same way another 100-miles down the road.

These are likely "best possible" numbers for both configurations. Now there is a baseline.

This is how to gauge what is normal.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #49

I have a 2015 F350 dually pulling an 18k 5er. My mileage ranges from 9.7 to 10.0 mpg depending upon terrain, wind etc. Around town my mileage(not towing) ranges from 14.3 to 15.0.
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #50

I neglected to state that I pull between 60 & 65. The towing mileage is what I achieved over several thousand miles pulling out of MT to NC.
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
towing heavy loads for sure ;;running empty not really I have the 5.3 chevy and it gets 23-24 mpg highway
Like I said in my post,,, this was a short trip,,, half stop and go traffic,,, half highway.... Different strokes,,, thats why they make both....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #52

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You got what MPG???

This is my 2nd 6.7L and this was the best no towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	146782  
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
You got what MPG???

This is my 2nd 6.7L and this was the best no towing.
8.2 while unloaded?
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always like these discussions!!

You can expect what ever you want, but you'll get what you get!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I always like these discussions!!

You can expect what ever you want, but you'll get what you get!
Seems like I expect and get the same as most. 16-17 empty and 10-11 towing.
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #56

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishalaska1 View Post
8.2 while unloaded?
YUP! My motorhome average is 9.1 best 10.05. Go figure

According to the dealer the PS will sway from 8.0 to 12.0 not towing, no reason, no explanation, no idea why. I see a Cummins in my future, drove one and it was in the high teens while I had it.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote